Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
That was us for about the last 10-years and beach living is great! But, honestly, after a while you stop noticing it as much; particularly on higher floors where all you see is ocean, unless you go out on the balcony and look down. Now, we live on the harbor in Destin (w/views of the gulf), and we've got some "ideal" grandkids locally, ... to go with a great view!
I know what you mean, seems we can't have it all. We are thinking little maintenance, morning walks on a beach, sunsets and as our lullaby, the sound of the waves crashing on the shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
My dream house would be a craftsman bungalow with hardwood floors throughout, a porch, three bedrooms, large windows, character, built-ins, open kitchen with an island, a mixture of white and oak cabinetry, a moderately sized private backyard with lush green grass and trees, a small garden and a pool. My bedroom would be moderately sized with a large bay window with a window seat. I love brick but I am not sure if that would go with the craftsmen style. I also like arched doorways. I want the block to be extremely quiet with little to no traffic. I want it paid off and close to amenities. Lastly, I want a loving partner that is handy and I can grow old with.
^^^Nice, this would be my second dream home, the kitchen would totally open out to a large covered patio/lounge/dining areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
Title says it all - describe your dream home.

I'll start. My dream home would be the least expensive home in a town with a good school system. It would be old, because I don't care about upgraded kitchens or anything like that. It would have energy-efficient/cost-effective upgrades, like chaulked windows. It would hopefully not need much if any repairs for a while.

What about you? Granite countertops? 8 bedrooms? Woodland in the backyard? What kind of house are you dreaming about.
One that is built with the reliability/quality of a Lexus.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:43 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
Driving through the light fog, the crunch of the truck's wheels on the white gravel road is comforting. The circle drive hosts a huge tree that marks the entrance. The home itself is in three distinct sections, and from above might look like three shoe boxes addressing the rear of the property.

Out back is a damp pasture-like yard with a natural wood fire pit and a back building about a quarter mile away. An old green Isuzu Trooper sits to the edge, near the treeline. Driving toward it, the view behind the backhouse is the Deschutes Forest.

A large flat stump outside serves as an impromptu bartop.

I do not care too much about the interior of the main house.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:44 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
My wife lives there.
And smiles at me as she gazes around herself.

Everything else is negotiable.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My dream home...on a mountaintop with views for miles - no traffic sounds - only the singing of birds and the gentle tinkling of wind chimes in the mountain breezes.
I know where a place like that is. My niece's grandmother lived there. There was a pond in back and the only sounds usually were crickets and tree frogs. It was a two story home that was so close to the Blue Ridge Parkway that if you walked down to the pond and really listened you could hear car tires traveling on the parkway--so peaceful. To get to the parkway one had to travel down the road and then to Glendale Springs which was 5-10 miles away. I loved to go visit this lovely lady. You couldn't hear the car tires from the front porch that looked over the valley though.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 AM

455 posts, read 898,620 times
3 bed, 2 bath home in a rural area with the following bonus rooms:

- Media/home theater room, fully soundproofed and acoustically treated, high quality audio/video with projector.
- Bar/sports hangout/man-cave, fully stocked, nice-sized TV for games, classic juke box, bar-like lighting and atmosphere. No smoking!
- Small gym with some cardio and weight training equipment.

* Roomy kitchen with a gas range and ventilation that goes outside.
* 2 car garage
* Garage-attached workshop with full bench, cooling/heating, and a full-sized refrigerator stocked with beer.
* Roomy, covered back patio/deck with a grilling area, nice sized yard with a view that isn't the back of other people's houses or a fence.
* Neighbors far away.
* Trees!

Someday...

Old 11-26-2013, 09:13 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
A place that you are so happy with that you envision staying there until you die of old age. (And maybe your ghost will hang out there after you die)

Having the means to move anywhere you choose but this dream house is where you choose to be.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:39 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I know where a place like that is. My niece's grandmother lived there. There was a pond in back and the only sounds usually were crickets and tree frogs. It was a two story home that was so close to the Blue Ridge Parkway that if you walked down to the pond and really listened you could hear car tires traveling on the parkway--so peaceful. To get to the parkway one had to travel down the road and then to Glendale Springs which was 5-10 miles away. I loved to go visit this lovely lady. You couldn't hear the car tires from the front porch that looked over the valley though.
Sounds lovely, and familiar

Old 11-27-2013, 08:40 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
My wife lives there.
And smiles at me as she gazes around herself.

Everything else is negotiable.
This

Old 11-27-2013, 08:42 AM

415 posts, read 764,730 times
One that's Paid Off!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate