Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:23 AM

225 posts, read 429,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
I would only consider it a problem if she practices after 9pm. I'm a musician, as well. It is hard for me to comprehend the French Horn as a blaring instrument. It has a mellow, more muted tone. I would just bear the noise if she played during the daytime. But, yes, I would speak to my neighbor if she played past 9pm frequently.
Interesting. I'm wondering if it's a particularly bad coincidence of where she is playing. I have my desk near a wall which adjoins to her bedroom, and it sounds like she's right behind me. I'm wondering if she is practicing in her bedroom as a way to get away from the hallway and not realizing that her bedroom is actually kind of "wrapped around" by our apartment.

So far, in fact, it hasn't been horrible to listen to. I like the french horn well enough. I think if by moving it got a notch or two quieter I might get used to it (+/- some earplugs when I really need to concentrate). Yesterday I was just a bit upset when I realized the earplugs weren't enough!

Thanks all for reminding me that it's good to approach the neighbor with her needs in mind also (for instance, I imagine having our stereo on at any level above minimal can be heard by her --- damn old buildings...)

I'll probably go chat with her today or tomorrow and just ask about how the noise is for her and a few things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 07:29 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
I'm a trombone and euphonium player. I would never practice in a co-op without using a mute. Not even a townhouse. When I'm at home and I practice, I go in the basement. Otherwise, you'll find me using a practice room on campus.

Ask her to cover the walls by adding acoustic soundproofing panels. It will force the sound bounce back to her.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:03 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I'm a trombone and euphonium player. I would never practice in a co-op without using a mute. Not even a townhouse. When I'm at home and I practice, I go in the basement. Otherwise, you'll find me using a practice room on campus.

Ask her to cover the walls by adding acoustic soundproofing panels. It will force the sound bounce back to her.
Excellent point. Another point is that, at least you practice indoors. You don't want to be practicing outside and then a sudden rainstorm hits, and you end up with a rusty trombone.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:45 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Talk to the resident about your concern. Read and understand your lease, co-op by-laws, rules and regulations. Keep a log of the times and as much as you can about what you hear. Advise your Board of Directors IN WRITING of your concerns and examples from your log. Give you Board the opportunity to address this with you.

IF the Board does not enforce the terms of the lease, by-laws, rules and regulations you can sue the Board for enforcement.

FWIW many leases, by-laws, rules and regulations prohibit business activity that results in customers coming to the building. For that reason teaching music would also be a violation of the lease and/or by-laws.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:15 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,390 times
when and if you address your neighbor, approach it in this manner, "You are very talented and sound beautiful when you play your horn, is there a way for you to practice in a room not adjacent to my apartment/condo?"

Shower her/him with compliments! Just sayin'

Old 12-01-2013, 03:24 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I agree, you accomplish more with sugar than vinegar. Focus on a solution that works for the both of you.

I still think the OP should let the Board know of her issue. She should let the Board know how she is attempting to solve the problem with the neighbor, nicely. The reason for advising the Board is to put them on notice that there is a concern. Usually new stockholders are interviewed by the Board before they are accepted as a shareholder. This subject may have come up in the interview.

FWIW, a co-op is different than a condo in that regard. Co-op residents have leases and stock in the corporation that owns the building while a condo owner has a deed.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:59 PM

134 posts, read 444,004 times
Option 1. Add an extra layer of drywall. This will most likely at the very least cut out the conversations you hear. The 3 hours of music may be tolerable, but I know conversations can be very annoying.

Option 2. Remove existing drywall. Use green glue, sound boards, and drywall. This will definitely remove any vocal sounds unless they are actually screaming.

Option 3. Remove the current drywall, and fill the studs with fiberglass materials. Lay up some sheet rock or sound proofing boards. Build another wall a few inches out, with 2x4 studs. Repeat the process. Make sure you move any electrical outlets towards the new wall. Use pads on the outlets as they can also leak sound.

By having two walls filled with fiberglass, and a gap between the two walls, you can now block a lot more sound. If you find it is not enough, consider doing the floor and ceiling on that side of the house.

The more mass between you and them, the quieter it will be.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 PM

25 posts, read 70,473 times
Perhaps you could take up a complimentary instrument and accompany her, note for note, on a sonic acoustic voyage?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by bsb_123; 12-02-2013 at 09:51 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
I have to say OP, you're a very nice, thoughtful person/neighbor. Your neighbor....not so much. I don't care how nice she is, she has to realize you and probably others, can hear her play. She must not care, and I think it goes beyond being tolerant for you to have to wear earplugs in your own home. I get she needs to practice, but what if your job was using a jackhammer? Would you practice in your home? Re-building car engines and letting them loudly run?

I know those are both funny extremes, I just don't think anyone should do anything noisy on a daily basis, that causes a neighbor to wear earplugs. Especially a "job" noise, or learning a craft. I wouldn't even want to hear their music everyday or a loud tv. I don't believe she knows you can hear them talk, so that I'd forgive and nicely let her know. I feel for you and hope this situation gets rectified. I know its hard to listen to my grand daughter practice her horn once in a blue moon, and I love her to pieces. Three hours a day? Not gonna happen. Hope you keep us updated, I'd love to know how it ends.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I have to say OP, you're a very nice, thoughtful person/neighbor. Your neighbor....not so much. I don't care how nice she is, she has to realize you and probably others, can hear her play. She must not care, and I think it goes beyond being tolerant for you to have to wear earplugs in your own home. I get she needs to practice, but what if your job was using a jackhammer? Would you practice in your home? Re-building car engines and letting them loudly run?
You know there are those people in the world that are just loud, and they don't realize they are. My husband is a loud talker, and I was constantly asking him to talk quieter while we were dating. He didn't believe me (thought I was too sensitive) until he got a job and his boss came in and told him he talked too loud.

My 13 year old son is a 6'2" booming voice person too. Really, some people just don't register noise the way others do. I've been shushing him since he was 3. He's pretty good now, but he has to work hard to remember to control the volume of his voice.

Most people are decent people. I find giving them the benefit of the doubt is always the better way to start conflict issues. Most home buyers aren't aware of the lack of insulation in walls built in 1915. I am sure the french horn player thinks going into her bedroom provides more sound cushion not realizing that it is right next to where the OP is trying to work. Assuming they are a first class jerk and going in with guns blazing is pretty much a guaranteed way to ensure they will be one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate