Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:41 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post
Thanks for the perspective from a musician, that is helpful. How would you feel if someone offered you a practice room a flight up from your apartment?
Would there be any liability issues if you offer the room on a regular basis (e.g., if she's injured)? No one else in the building is bothered? Might someone else be bothered if she changes her practice location to one floor up from where she is now? I'd first have a talk with her. Maybe she's unaware it's causing anyone a problem. Maybe it's temporary. I'd see what she suggests before offering your room to a stranger, even if it's a neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
Option 1. Add an extra layer of drywall. This will most likely at the very least cut out the conversations you hear. The 3 hours of music may be tolerable, but I know conversations can be very annoying.

Option 2. Remove existing drywall. Use green glue, sound boards, and drywall. This will definitely remove any vocal sounds unless they are actually screaming.

Option 3. Remove the current drywall, and fill the studs with fiberglass materials. Lay up some sheet rock or sound proofing boards. Build another wall a few inches out, with 2x4 studs. Repeat the process. Make sure you move any electrical outlets towards the new wall. Use pads on the outlets as they can also leak sound.

By having two walls filled with fiberglass, and a gap between the two walls, you can now block a lot more sound. If you find it is not enough, consider doing the floor and ceiling on that side of the house.

The more mass between you and them, the quieter it will be.

Just the sound of the activity might make the neighbor suddenly aware.

If the neighbor whispers "I think they can hear us", whisper back "Yes, I can".

Old 12-03-2013, 11:25 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
As the OP is searching for a solution s/he should think about other spaces in the building where a musician could practice. For example, our stockholder store rooms are very spacious, in the basement. They would make for a perfect practice room. There may be a 'Board Room' or rarely used activity room that would be appropriate.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:59 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
Silverfall, I agree, some don't have a clue they're talking very loud. I notice the older I get, the deafer I get, the louder I talk. One son starts cringing, and I tone it down.

I didn't mean to say the neighbor was as thoughtless as my post sounded. I just cant fathom anyone not realizing playing any instrument is not going to bug others. I've just always been concerned about what I do that might upset my neighbors.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:41 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Put insulation in that has a very high NRR (noise reduction rating), then double up the sheetrock (one board on top of the other).....you will hear very, very little or nothing coming though the walls.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:37 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Default Ever Sell a Home Over a Neighbor or Community Issue?

I'm curious if any of you have sold a home over a problem either with the area or a neighbor. I live in a town on the edge of the foothills north of Sacramento, CA.. The house is in a 1970s subdivision and has 55 homes clustered together on 60x100 lots. My problem is air quality in the winter. Bought it in 2010 and we've had a lot of inversions in the winter months (drought) and the air quality is horrible. Specifically, it seems every third house is burning a wood stove and the air is choking with smoke most of the time. I've weatherstripped like crazy, but you can't keep the smell or the particulates out completely. Burning eyes, coughing, even a bit of nausea from the constant faint "campfire" smell in my house. Its not my adjacent neighbors doing it, just the community is general. Smokiest place I've ever lived!

TL;DR, have you ever sold and moved over such an issue or other type problem with an area or neighbor? What was your breaking point? I really don't want to have to, I'd take a pretty big loss between the price drop and realtor fees. Plus there's no guarantee I'd get a better situation.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Start a new thread if you really want responses.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:20 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
As for the loud talking, I would turn on the TV loud enough to drown out the conversation next dorr, then when they come over to complain you tell them I had to because I can hear you talking all the time and I don't want to be invading your privacy in case I hear something too personal.

JMHO YMMV

Old 12-11-2013, 03:20 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post
That's interesting that you say they usually rent a practice room -- I would have thought so too. I mean, I wouldn't mind if it were quiet piano playing but a french horn is one of the loudest instruments, I would not want to annoy my neighbors, personally.

My very quick research online has lead me to believe that practicing music is not usually regarded as a criminal amount of noise-making. Nor would I want to escalate things to a conflict like that, I'm more interested in finding a solution that keeps us friendly with the neighbor.

There is technically a noise ordinance, but it's mainly about construction noise being limited to working hours for those doing renovations. I'll need to check again if there is anything about music. Though again, I think that would be rather a slap in the face to the neighbor, and I would dread making an enemy.
Ha Ha Ha!! If you think French Horn is loud, just be glad she's not playing trumpet! Sounds like the soundproofing is terrible where you live, if you can hear their conversation in the next unit. Anyone who lives there, unless it is a silent single person who doesn't like to listen to music, is going to disturb you. I would not think that someone should not be able to play the French Horn (one of the loveliest instruments to listen to, in my opinion, with its rich, warm sound) in their apartment during normal hours that people are awake, namely, 8 AM to ten PM.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:45 PM

223 posts, read 523,919 times
Just go over and kindly tell them you can hear them talking and playing music. They might not know the sound goes through the walls, especially since no one has said anything about it. I wouldn't offer any extra room or anything like that. Just talk to them to get the conversation started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate