Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 07:36 PM

154 posts, read 361,683 times

Advertisements

I live in nyc and want to get a cheap condo out of state in Milwaukee. My credit isnt good but my mom does have good credit. Shes willing to help me out to get a cheap mortgage in her name.

Is it possible for my name to be added as co-owner of the condo this way without having my credit checked? I will be the only one living there and my concern is that some condos have rules about only allowing owners to live there. So I want to know if its possible to be added as co-owner to the condo/mortgage without having my credit checked.

Last edited by turner23x; 12-09-2013 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turner23x View Post
I live in nyc and want to get a cheap condo out of state in Milwaukee. My credit isnt good but my mom does have good credit. Shes willing to help me out to get a cheap mortgage in her name.

Is it possible for my name to be added as co-owner of the condo this way without having my credit checked? I will be the only one living there and my concern is that some condos have rules about only allowing owners to live there. So I want to know if its possible to be added as co-owner to the condo/mortgage without having my credit checked.
You're planning on living there right?

You don't have to be on the mortgage to be an owner, but if you are not on the loan, your mom will have to put a bigger downpayment since it is a "2nd home" or investment property.

How bad is your credit, consider fixing it.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
You're planning on living there right?

You don't have to be on the mortgage to be an owner, but if you are not on the loan, your mom will have to put a bigger downpayment since it is a "2nd home" or investment property.

How bad is your credit, consider fixing it.
Yea only I will there, My credit is like 640, I would fix it and all but I'm in a horrible living situation right and need to move ASAP.

Well its good I dont have to be on the loan, but you know whats the name of the document I need to be on?

Last edited by turner23x; 12-09-2013 at 09:25 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 10:31 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,627,552 times
The title.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:27 AM

how about this: is it possible for my mom to be on the loan and not a owner (only me as the owner) of the condo?

Old 12-10-2013, 02:09 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,921 times
You might find someone to lend you and your mother money. The borrower will have to be on the title. If she transfers it to you and removes her self, the lender may require the loan balance paid in full otherwise they will foreclose. You might want to start on the loan together then refinance in the future without her. Talk to an accountant about tax implications. Also find out how much income and cash you'll need from a lender for a future refinance from your loan person.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:04 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
When I owned my own business we bought and sold several houses based on my wife's income/credit alone. I was on both titles with her. I assume one could do the same with anyone. Meaning Mom buys it with son on the title as co-owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate