Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:13 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,905,396 times

Advertisements

I live in the middle of Alaska (the coldest part) and only use 400 gallons of heating fuel a year. My cabin is pretty small though, only about 800 sq. ft. but the insulation in it is not real good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 01:16 PM

6,486 posts, read 10,360,322 times
If there was a crack in the oil tank, it would be an environmental hazard and not up to the landlord to decide whether or not to remove the tank and what to replace it with. I agree that there does need to be some accounting for the unused oil remaining in the tank by the company that removed it. I would consult a legal service, paralegal for instance, for advice. Probably should be addressed in a small claims court IMHO.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:44 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Did they remove the oil tank for free?

Old 01-16-2014, 02:07 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,818,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Did they remove the oil tank for free?
I'm betting the reason the landlord won't tell the tenant what company they used, or provide a receipt, is because they probably hired a company to remove it for free, with the company getting to keep the oil and not provide a refund for the oil they took. The landlord probably didn't consider how much money the tenants had just put into the oil, and is now trying to get out of having to pay the full amount the tenant is owed.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:11 PM

914 posts, read 943,411 times
Do you have receipts and records which would indicate the rate at which you typically used oil?

This would be very useful if you decide to go the court route. If you can show that your history over a long period is to use $200 of oil in a month, rather than $400...you're more likely to find a judge siding with you and not your landlord.

Either way, I'd start looking for a new place. Your landlord is not going to be happy, and will be looking for any excuse to evict you or not to renew your lease.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:21 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Lots of things come to mind...

Theft, Police Report, Renter's Insurance?

Old 01-17-2014, 03:06 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Forgetting the leak, the oil company you used should be able to give a reasonable estimate of how much oil would have been used given the temperature setting and number of days along with the degree days of that time period and your use history.
If he won't cooperate, go after him in small claims court and it will be up to him to recover the value of the oil, if indeed, he got a credit for it.
If he traded the oil for the removal or whatever other arrangement he made, is his problem.
He is still responsible for your loss...technically, he sold, traded or gave away something of yours.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:46 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,934,602 times
The only thing that may not be clear is how the lease was written. Were there oil in the tank when you move in?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdunlap View Post
But the mediator just doesn't want to deal with it anymore and is not being helpful. She told us to just go to small claims court, but I think that based on all the nessecary paperwork, we can just deduct it from the rent and it wont be a violation of the lease.
Sounds good to me. Then the landlord will take you to court and a Judge will decide and it will be done with.. I just have one question. If you knew the tank had a crack why did you fill it?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:17 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I'm betting the reason the landlord won't tell the tenant what company they used, or provide a receipt, is because they probably hired a company to remove it for free, with the company getting to keep the oil and not provide a refund for the oil they took. The landlord probably didn't consider how much money the tenants had just put into the oil, and is now trying to get out of having to pay the full amount the tenant is owed.

Sounds like a likely scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate