Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:13 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times

Advertisements

I own a 2 bedroom home (technically) since only 2 of the rooms have closets. Does anyone know how the market is for sale of these homes. I live in a great town in CT, it sits on just under an acre of land, completely remodeled (1200 SF) and is 2/2. However, if I do plan to sell I am scared the age of the home (1848) and the fact that it is a two bedroom might deter people. In all reallty it could be more than 2 bedrooms. It is perfect for an elderly couple (all one level) or young couple. Just seeing if anyone has knowledge, or experience, with 2 bedroom homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 01:17 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
In our market, the age of the home would be a selling feature, as would the land it is on. The older bungalows in our area that are 2/2 sell really well, most are around the historic district.

Two years ago I sold a 2/2 built around the 1900's on 1.5 acres of land, very unusual property for our area, and we ended up in a bidding war over it.

For a house like that I would get 2-3 opinions from local Realtors to make sure the pricing seems "in line" and have them justify it with sold comps.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:21 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
I couldn't tell you about something that old as we don't have houses that old around here (I'm in Austin). 2 bedrooms will sell fairly easily close to downtown, but most other places, it's a huge negative. Land that is bigger than .20 will also sell pretty quickly in most areas in my market. People would see how they could add on.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
In our market, the age of the home would be a selling feature, as would the land it is on. The older bungalows in our area that are 2/2 sell really well, most are around the historic district.

Two years ago I sold a 2/2 built around the 1900's on 1.5 acres of land, very unusual property for our area, and we ended up in a bidding war over it.

For a house like that I would get 2-3 opinions from local Realtors to make sure the pricing seems "in line" and have them justify it with sold comps.
Thank you.

The house is located in a historical portion (aka Village) of town, but it sits on a main road (which I know stinks) and the property next door is a dentist office but I could spin that as extra parking.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:33 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
How large and what is the location of the bedooms without closets? And what is their second egress...window size.

Forget about closets. You're selling a historic home where armoires were used. Second egress in event of fire is important though.

Is your historic home considered just another ordinary home lumped in with modern one levels where you are?

Old 03-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
How large and what is the location of the bedooms without closets? And what is their second egress...window size.

Forget about closets. You're selling a historic home where armoires were used. Second egress in event of fire is important though.

Is your historic home considered just another ordinary home lumped in with modern one levels where you are?
One bedroom is upstairs and is currently being used as a bedroom with a queen bed in it. The other bedroom is downstairs (first floor) and is currently my office. Windows are all updated and legal.

The house was completely renovated (right down to the studs) about 15 years ago. The floors are original to the house but the house has been upgraded (windows, roof, natural gas, etc).

Many of the homes in the area are new. My house and the house across the street are both from 1840s. The house next door was built in 2003 and is not a one level. The houses down the street are all on the national historic register. One was home to Thomas Edison (that's what they say).

Old 03-07-2014, 04:17 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
I'm in New England. There is a buyer for every house. Two bedroom homes sell all the time.

The age of the house is common, the acre lot is helpful. What will hold back your sale more is the commercial use next door and being on a busy street. .

I'd suggest getting an appraisal done on the home before putting it on the market. Or getting three real estate agents in and have them do a market analysis for you. Make sure they are comparing apples to apples. Their results should be similar. Seriously consider any suggestions they make.

Also, is there any additional room in the house that could be a bedroom if you added a little closet in a corner.? That small expensive might be worthwhile.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I'm in New England. There is a buyer for every house. Two bedroom homes sell all the time.

The age of the house is common, the acre lot is helpful. What will hold back your sale more is the commercial use next door and being on a busy street. .

I'd suggest getting an appraisal done on the home before putting it on the market. Or getting three real estate agents in and have them do a market analysis for you. Make sure they are comparing apples to apples. Their results should be similar. Seriously consider any suggestions they make.

Also, is there any additional room in the house that could be a bedroom if you added a little closet in a corner.? That small expensive might be worthwhile.
There is esp in my office downstairs. There was a closet (you can still see the old layout on the floor). We also added a walk in closet in the master bedroom which is unusual in for such an old house. I agree the busy street and next door will hurt a little but homes on the same street have been selling like hotcakes which is nice. Plus I bought my house for cheap since it was in bad shape so some sweat equity doesn't hurt either.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:10 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
You probably are trying to save money and thinking about a FSBO. If you really care about the value, consider hiring an appraiser. If you are just curious, call a real estate agent, or ask a real estate agent to contact you. So far all the ones that I've met, don't bite.

I wish my home was from 1848, my property taxes would be nothing.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Especially if the home is in a historic area, I'd think there would be plenty of people this house would be right for. Me, for instance (single woman with DIY skills). Also empty-nesters, newlyweds not interested in having kids yet, gay couples. Lots of people today have appreciation for historic properties but not all of them have the energy to keep up a big one if they don't need the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate