Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 10:29 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Yes, to that. Pay it no mind, and move on with the money.

If I had to legally bludgeon my way into a condo, I cannot imagine how it would be anything but an on-going unpleasant experience from that point on. Peace and goodwill in my life matter more than any particular condo ever possibly could.
Yeah, but it's just this one guy, the crazy board president, who has rejected my application. It was apparently a one man show. He never consulted the rest of the board --- at all!

I have great good will with the person who would be my next door neighbour, who is on the board, and this weekend she is trying to get a hold of this crazy condo board president and help us.

Plus, as of now the condo president didn't even know how much time I was going to spend at the condo. It was for my Dad to stay in during the winter, as he has been for the last 3 winters. My Dad can always apply to buy the condo but then what, I can't even stay there? I'm like a banned person for some reason?----even in the 1700s people had a right to face their accusers, I can't believe that in 2014 there is no legal recourse for a person to be denied the right to buy a condo based on one man's personal review of me.

I feel like I have a right to now what this crazy board president thinks he discovered in my past that is so bad as to be denied my legal right to housing. I know it's not criminal. I know it's not financial. So what could it be? (if it's not a total lie and fabrication.) I feel like there must be some law protecting me from this kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 10:35 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,747,431 times
What is the name of the condo and in what county is it located?

Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,697 times
I have been reading this thread with great interest. I had no idea such craziness could happen. I guess I am wondering why the whole deal is off if not done by April 7th? Couldnt you just sign and daughters sign a new contract?

Just from what you have written so far, I am leaning to think that the nasty guy is afraid of you for some reason. Probably feels threatened that a relatively younger person, educated and bright, will either wreak havoc with his "lordship" or discover something he is doing that is wrong or illegal. Just a hunch.

I do understand why you would want to fight for this, and its not like the other condo board members have anything against you or your dad. I just hope an attorney can help, because it would be a shame to make a 90 year old person leave their home.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:13 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You're right. But his late girlfriend didn't get any of her affairs in order, not just concerning this condo.

I think I'm the one being pushed over the edge---I let all this get to me, this rejection feels so personal and insulting, and it's like I don't even get to respond or reply to what might be lies or groundless accusations.

But anyway, there's always other condos (and their boards....sigh). I don't think I can afford even a semi-detached house. I vowed never to have a mortgage again.
My siblings and I are involved in something somewhat similar regarding a Town Road, where one person on a Town Board is determined that we are wrong and they are right. We have spend years fighting it with hundreds of pages of documentation from various state agencies and yet the Town Board has the final say (unless we sue and the court system over rules them & the courts tend to side with the local government).

It is so frustrating when we know that we are right. I can really feel your pain. It is very personal to us as our family has lived there close to 100 years and the person on the Town Board opposing us has lived in the area 6 to 8 years. I agree that things that that do feel personally insulting.

Back to your problem. I would write a short, easy to follow letter stating the facts and send it to all of the condo board members, the daughters and any people in the condo who are good friends with your father. Include any information that proves/suggests that the person did not follow the written condo rules. Be polite and try not to "burn bridges" but make sure that everyone knows that the legal rules were not followed.

"Condo Rule 23: Applications of potential buyers are to be reviewed by the complete Condo Review Board"
It is my understanding that Mr. Smith and his wife (not a Condo Review Board Member) declined my application without sending it to the full board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I don't know anything about HOA's at all... but if you're really that interested in getting that place, go to a lawyer, tell him what's going on and have the lawyer write a letter to the condo association. You don't have to take it any further than a letter. Maybe a letter from a lawyer would scare the association a bit. It can't hurt. You've already been turned down.
Definitely the second step.

I suspect that there is more to this story. Did her daughters dislike your dad? Perhaps they are working behind the scenes to make sure that he does not get the condo.

Or the person who turned you down has another buyer in mind, a friend or a relative.

Keep fighting. I wish you well.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:16 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,626,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
thanks, will check that out.
FYI, realize, self managed or not condos in some places have condo authorities and laws to answer to.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:19 AM

374 posts, read 492,415 times
Did the sellers get a better offer and didn't want your Father there so this is the easy way out? Were you paying full asking price, or was there a discount being offered due to your Dad? Sorry just was wondering.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:58 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
I have been reading this thread with great interest. I had no idea such craziness could happen. I guess I am wondering why the whole deal is off if not done by April 7th? Couldnt you just sign and daughters sign a new contract?

Just from what you have written so far, I am leaning to think that the nasty guy is afraid of you for some reason. Probably feels threatened that a relatively younger person, educated and bright, will either wreak havoc with his "lordship" or discover something he is doing that is wrong or illegal. Just a hunch.

I do understand why you would want to fight for this, and its not like the other condo board members have anything against you or your dad. I just hope an attorney can help, because it would be a shame to make a 90 year old person leave their home.
I suspect the same thing. Either he is worried that you won't respect him as King of the Condo or else he is doing something illegal (like "diverting" money to his pocket).

Old 04-05-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
What is the name of the condo and in what county is it located?
I sent you a direct message.

But it is in Lake Worth, Palm Beach County, Florida.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post

I am fighting this because I hate bullying. I hate it when I see it on TV, teens beating on another teen and no one intervening, or when I see any adult bullying another. I am not going to let some crazy ego-driven control freak bully me and my father out of our right to buy a home.

I have talked to one attorney in West Palm Beach, but I might look around more because I saw that there is firm in Broward County that specializes in this type of thing. The first lawyer told me this type of craziness happens all the time with Florida Condo associations and that they are often out-of-control and don't follow laws etc.

Last edited by ellemint; 04-05-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My siblings and I are involved in something somewhat similar regarding a Town Road, where one person on a Town Board is determined that we are wrong and they are right. We have spend years fighting it with hundreds of pages of documentation from various state agencies and yet the Town Board has the final say (unless we sue and the court system over rules them & the courts tend to side with the local government).

It is so frustrating when we know that we are right. I can really feel your pain. It is very personal to us as our family has lived there close to 100 years and the person on the Town Board opposing us has lived in the area 6 to 8 years. I agree that things that that do feel personally insulting.

Back to your problem. I would write a short, easy to follow letter stating the facts and send it to all of the condo board members, the daughters and any people in the condo who are good friends with your father. Include any information that proves/suggests that the person did not follow the written condo rules. Be polite and try not to "burn bridges" but make sure that everyone knows that the legal rules were not followed.

"Condo Rule 23: Applications of potential buyers are to be reviewed by the complete Condo Review Board"
It is my understanding that Mr. Smith and his wife (not a Condo Review Board Member) declined my application without sending it to the full board.

Definitely the second step.

I suspect that there is more to this story. Did her daughters dislike your dad? Perhaps they are working behind the scenes to make sure that he does not get the condo.

Or the person who turned you down has another buyer in mind, a friend or a relative.

Keep fighting. I wish you well.
I am sorry to hear about your tribulations with the Town Board, and it does sound maddening---good luck with it.

Your suggestions are very much along the line of what I am intending to do, starting with a letter to each condo board member.

And we now have my potential next-door neighbour, who is on the board, who has promised to contact this crazy guy and see if this cannot be resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate