Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:04 PM

61 posts, read 86,109 times

Advertisements

My real estate agent is good and trusted as well. The problem is he had mentioned a certain range and he said the house will go for the upper range and wanted to list for that. My wife and I asked him if he thinks we will still go for the upper range if we consider the issue with the house. He caught on to that statement and then started suggesting lower price. All of a sudden his CMA changed as well. I think he is a good agent but once he got the whiff that we are OK pricing lower he went with that tune. I think he got greedy when he saw we were OK reducing it further...and now we feel bad...That said he is a good agent, lot of sales of properties at my end and as I mentioned earlier does a good job staging etc.

Hopefully someone will realize the potential of the house and bid higher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 11:07 PM

BTW...We listed the house on Thursday and we have mentioned that we will be reviewing offers at 5PM monday, i.e. tomorrow...very nervous

Old 04-20-2014, 11:16 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasABigMistake View Post
My real estate agent is good and trusted as well. The problem is he had mentioned a certain range and he said the house will go for the upper range and wanted to list for that. My wife and I asked him if he thinks we will still go for the upper range if we consider the issue with the house. He caught on to that statement and then started suggesting lower price. All of a sudden his CMA changed as well. I think he is a good agent but once he got the whiff that we are OK pricing lower he went with that tune. I think he got greedy when he saw we were OK reducing it further...and now we feel bad...That said he is a good agent, lot of sales of properties at my end and as I mentioned earlier does a good job staging etc.

Could also be a case of your agent realizing you might be sellers willing to be more realistic about your price, considering your view issues, so he gave you the price he thought it could sell at, as opposed to the higher price, just to get the listing. Again, pricing is really subjective, so you won't really know what people are willing to pay for your home until you start getting actual offers in hand; just hang tight until then, as you're conjecturing a lot into the process that may not necessarily be there.

I would suggest, however, if you're really so concerned about "leaving money on the table", to have your house professionally appraised. It's a solid assumption that any potential buyer would most likely need financing so the appraisal would have to come into play anyway; this way, if the appraisal comes in at a much higher price than your list, you have ammunition with which to confidently raise your price or respond to a low offer with a strong counter. The appraisal will cost you a few sheckels but it might make you feel more confident in your pricing, or let you know more quickly you severely underpriced your home.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:22 PM

The appraisal was done last May and it was at 737 when I bought the house. Market is up 8-10% since then . Why I am selling the house so soon is a different topic for another thread.

As per the appraiser the ugly view has no impact since atleast its open and you can see lake, mountains and view from the house

Old 04-20-2014, 11:24 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Do you want to sell the house? Or do you want to keep it? If you want to sell it, then it doesn't matter that it was priced low. You're gonna get multiple offers from pent up demand. Keep it on through the week and next weekend, too. This is Easter weekend. Not so many people are looking on Easter weekend. Review all the offers NEXT Monday. Throw out the ones with conditions you don't like. Run a bidding war among the ones you feel are valid. Around here, realtors ask for 'last and best' offers. As a buyer, I hate this, and often will pull my offer. I hate bidding blindly. Of course, the seller is hoping that even the highest offer will up their offer, afraid of losing out on the deal. As long as the seller is not lying, I see nothing wrong with your realtor contacting the buyers and telling them, the highest qualifying offer is currently x. Do you want to up your offer? And so on, until the highest bidder gets it.

Don't feel that pricing it low will lead to a lower sale price. Sometimes, you get a good high sale price this way, because of multiple bidders bidding up the price.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:56 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Default Regretting Statement

Quote:

Don't feel bad about that statement you made to the real estate agent. It doesn't change anything because you are ultimately the one in charge - you accept offers or you don't and you can raise the price later if you want (as long as you didn't accept any offer!). Some offers come with contingencies, you don't have to agree to them either and can tell the buyer to remove them or you will move on to the next offer. If that statement gave your real estate agent "ideas" it doesn't matter because you are the one that decides. He works for you and you said he's a good agent.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:00 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Default View

Quote:
The appraisal was done last May and it was at 737 when I bought the house. Market is up 8-10% since then . Why I am selling the house so soon is a different topic for another thread.

As per the appraiser the ugly view has no impact since atleast its open and you can see lake, mountains and view from the house
The appraiser said the "ugly" view has no impact, so toward that end, in the future, the less said, the better. Remember the scene in The Godfather when Vito tells his son Sonny "Never let anyone outside the family know what you're thinking" - a very wise saying. Unless it's a matter of full disclosure to the condition of the house, the view is not worth mentioning and the buyer can see for himself.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:06 AM

3 posts, read 3,884 times
you can always compare the price of ur home to other property in nearby area to get an exact amount...

Old 04-21-2014, 04:11 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
If your broker brings you a full price offer and you refuse to sell, you owe the broker his commission.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:30 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
If your broker brings you a full price offer and you refuse to sell, you owe the broker his commission.
Does the listing agreement say that?
Or, does it say, "At price and terms acceptable to the seller?
Terms matter as much as price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate