Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:55 PM

18 posts, read 15,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
No, not in my experience with them.

A commissioned sales person is, well, a commissioned sales person so does it really matter what they hawk?

Run from that house and, if you feel the need, contact a qualified real estate lawyer. To me, it sounds like the house has more problems than you need in your life. What is so unique about that house that you have spent so much time dancing with the owner?
I understand. Realtors claim to be held to a higher standard though, whether some Realtors care or not.

As for the uniqueness of this home, it was a large, semi-updated home on an incredible lot with large mature trees, no surrounding neighbors in the neighborhood we've been looking at for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Must of been some house for you to wait 6-8 weeks with no response. I would of moved on long ago. As a seller or buyer you can't wait too long. Standard 24-48 hrs stuff maybe 72 but after that were just jacking each other off through boxing gloves while wearing snow suits.
There is not much you can do really.
I had a similar thing with a house. Selling/listing agent was the owner. I put in a bid heard nothing. I was still looking around meanwhile. 4 days later I told my agent to send her a retraction of offer. Lo and behold all of the sudden we got a response. She wanted 40k over my offer. She also wanted my agent to hand me over for a finder fee. The seller wanted to be the seller, listing, selling and buyer agent. She was very rude and condescending in her responses. Not that I would ever agree to such deal. I couldn't walk away fast enough. House sold I think 8-10 months later 20k over my asking price with numerous listed delisted pending for sale. It was a nice house. The only flip I was ever really interested in. I just wasn't willing to go over what my budget was. I just moved on with my life. Its business not conjoined twins
This was a unique situation, so it's not completely similar to what you describe. However, I agree; it's business.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Sounds like you had a very weak Buyers agent who could have done a much better job protecting your interests.

Much of the blame goes to your agent.
Maybe, but in this situation I feel she did everything she could. The seller was unresponsive and everything was on his terms. Everything. I just hoped I'd get a fair deal, so I didn't mind the wait.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The one to report this to, is the Texas Association Of Realtors, which all Realtors belong to. If it is as bad as you say it is, then they will force the agent and his office to take care of you. They do not like anything like this to happen, as it looks bad for all Realtors. Have gone this route, and got $43,000 to take care of the problem. I was a Realtor at the time handling commercial/investment real estate brokerage. Started in 1971 and remained in the business till I retired. They will act faster and harder than the TREC will, to protect the Realtor name.
Thank you. I will look into this avenue.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Your inspector could have requested a pressure check from gas company reporting your smelling gas. Gas company would have come out and tested and refused to turn on gas until fixed if the owners line. After repair they would have tested again before allow the line to be removed and gas turned on.
True, but he needed to inspect other items in the home where gas is used, e.g. stove top, water heater, furnace, etc. However, after discovering the other issues with the home, and realizing I'd have to spend more money for the home inspector to return, it just wasn't worth it to me.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,987,803 times
Personally I would just let it go. It doesn't look like any laws were broken. You are probably not going to affect this person in any major way by reporting him. I would just let it go and move on. A bad apple always spoils the bunch as the saying goes. I wouldn't have made an offer on a home I didn't feel 100% good about, and as your Realtor, I would have advised you didn't do it either. You had said that you had issues with the home before making an offer, this would have been my first red flag that perhaps this isn't the right home for you...

I'm not siding with the agent or you, just thinking that it sounds like it wasn't meant to be, and by reporting the agent, there could be consequences (like him being fired) that could affect him when all he could have been guilty of is a poor job selling you a home that was never going to work for you in the first place. I'm sure you wouldn't want him/her reporting you to your boss for being a jerk during the transaction? Whether you were or not, it's best to live and let live and re-focus on finding your dream home...

Old 06-12-2014, 06:40 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2020 View Post
No, at the beginning, it was just a verbal agreement to sell the home. The home was occupied by renters at the time and wasn't for sale, so there wasn't a need for a contract at the time. I understood that he might not even sell it to me. However, I trusted that the seller would give me first shot at the home, which he did. We put in an offer by e-mail that was rejected, then we resubmitted by e-mail and it was accepted. We were using e-mail because nothing official was occurring just yet.

After weeks went by with no update of the status of the home, I put in an actual written offer, which was accepted "by e-mail." A month later, out fo nowhere and numerous e-mails and calls to the Realtor, he forwarded my Realtor a modified contract with his own amendments, etc. It was agreed to and signed by me, and the purchase began. It was during the home inspection that the issues were found and it was downhill from there.
There again you may not want to hear it but it sounds like YOUR agent did not do their job.

We never consider Verbal Offers binding and YOUR agent should have been on top of this much better.

YOUR agent should have never submitted an unwritten offer by email or sat around waiting for an unwritten response. YOUR agent should have done the contract. YOUR agent should not have waited weeks. YOUR agent should have explained the process much better.

You are blaming the wrong agent IMO. YOUR agent was weak and you are blaming the other agent.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 AM

404 posts, read 898,456 times
Default I call

-

I fail to see what your complaint is.

When you arrived for inspections and found that not all utilities were on you should have immediately terminated inspections and noticed the Seller he was in breach of contract and demanded that all utilities be on for inspections.

And if any of this was real you surely would have been smart enough to immediately pick up the phone and call the gas company and tell them you think there’s a gas leak and in 10 minutes they would have been all over that house like flies on bull ****, which is what I am calling.

So at what point did you call the gas company in your concern for future owners or renters?

-

Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,417,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There again you may not want to hear it but it sounds like YOUR agent did not do their job.
^^^^^
I agree with this.

In the future, I would suggest that you need to make sure that you are the one submitting the written offer. Allowing the Seller to write up the proposed contract allows them to dictate the starting point for negotiations. As a Buyer's Broker, I think that Buyers are much better off by submitting an offer which includes the terms and conditions which they prefer...and to work from there.

Plus, in the other matters, I feel that your agent should have been more diligent.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Personally I would just let it go. It doesn't look like any laws were broken. You are probably not going to affect this person in any major way by reporting him. I would just let it go and move on. A bad apple always spoils the bunch as the saying goes. I wouldn't have made an offer on a home I didn't feel 100% good about, and as your Realtor, I would have advised you didn't do it either. You had said that you had issues with the home before making an offer, this would have been my first red flag that perhaps this isn't the right home for you...

I'm not siding with the agent or you, just thinking that it sounds like it wasn't meant to be, and by reporting the agent, there could be consequences (like him being fired) that could affect him when all he could have been guilty of is a poor job selling you a home that was never going to work for you in the first place. I'm sure you wouldn't want him/her reporting you to your boss for being a jerk during the transaction? Whether you were or not, it's best to live and let live and re-focus on finding your dream home...
Most times I do let things go, but there are times when a consumer should complain. I'm not getting a lawyer or suing anyone and I don't care of I get my money back. I just wanted to inform a for-profit business that one if its employees has questionable business practices, which I would think they would want to know, whether they do anything about it or not. I think that's fair.

I work in an industry where complaints are the norm when you treat someone unfairly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate