Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:17 AM

120 posts, read 147,453 times

Advertisements

We got an accepted offer on a house a couple of days ago and are about to set inspection appt. The house is vacant, an estate sale- and realtor just called to say the owners (Children of woman who owned home) are allowing tenants to move in for the month of July.Is this a bit strange? We probably wouldn't close before then, but should we be worried about the condition of the place after these "tenants" leave. Just kind of odd and a bit worrisome. Is there a possibility of having issues of getting them to leave the place after we close on house. Realtor said they would be out for August.We need to move in asap. Just liked the idea of house being vacant, getting inspection and knowing what we are dealing with. Not sure I like people moving in after we inspect. thoughts? not a big deal? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,012 times
I wouldn't like this either. But it's their house until you close. You'll want to specify in writing thst since the situation has changed since the offer you need to cover your self. The morning prior to closing, you need to meet your realtor at the house and do a final walk through to make sure it's ok

Old 06-26-2014, 07:58 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
That is strange but no different than if the owner was living there before closing. Of course, that's why three's a pre-closing inspection though.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:02 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
The final walkthrough will be much more important that usual. Consider getting a bunch of snapshots while the house is still vacant. A good inspection before is also important, make sure it lists all the things that are correctly functioning (faucets, appliances, etc. etc.).

Personally I would think having short-term tenants in a house that has been sold is a small gain and potentially a big problem.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:03 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
>That is strange but no different than if the owner was living there before closing.

The difference is that the owners want the house to sell without problems and the tenants don't care.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
>That is strange but no different than if the owner was living there before closing.

The difference is that the owners want the house to sell without problems and the tenants don't care.
I agree and would add that if a tenant has no place to go at the end of their lease on occasion they will seek to stay in the house illegally. I'm not sure which state the OP is writing from, but here in MA tenant-landlord laws heavily favor the tenant and even if they're squatting it's irrelevant. So, eviction here is a long and costly process.

If you found out about the tenant after your offer was accepted, I would seek to amend the contract to add a clause stating that the tenants must be out a minimum of two weeks prior to closing, on that date the condition of the premises must match the condition when you inspected the property (except for reasonable wear & tear), and if tenants are not out by that date you have the right to terminate.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:26 AM

306 posts, read 550,280 times
Tenants don't generally have the same motivation to take good care of property that the owner does, especially one that is trying to sell. Combined with the complications that can potentially arise from ensuring they are out of the property on time and the additional inspections that would need to be done, I would be cautious. I would ensure that I had a contingency in place that allowed me to back out completely based on an inspection after they move out.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:57 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsier2004 View Post
We got an accepted offer on a house a couple of days ago and are about to set inspection appt. The house is vacant, an estate sale- and realtor just called to say the owners (Children of woman who owned home) are allowing tenants to move in for the month of July.Is this a bit strange? We probably wouldn't close before then, but should we be worried about the condition of the place after these "tenants" leave. Just kind of odd and a bit worrisome. Is there a possibility of having issues of getting them to leave the place after we close on house. Realtor said they would be out for August.We need to move in asap. Just liked the idea of house being vacant, getting inspection and knowing what we are dealing with. Not sure I like people moving in after we inspect. thoughts? not a big deal? thanks!
Not only no, but HAIL no. I would demand no tenants or my offer is rescinded. These kids are probably letting some scrub move in temporarily that won't give a crap about the place.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:05 AM

552 posts, read 834,884 times
Run.... tell them that if they let these tenants live there for a month that you withdraw your offer or need to negotiate a lower price.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:20 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Run away. Too many potential problems. What if they don't leave ? What if they destroy the place ?
What if you find some condition during the home inspection that needs repair prior to closing. What if the tenants make it impossible to get that done.

Tell the sellers to keep the place vacant or you'll walk. Look out for own best interests. Your best interest is for the place to be vacant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate