Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 PM

41 posts, read 98,641 times

Advertisements

I work for a builder in a small metro where the average sales price is around $200k. Recently we participated in a "home-a-rama" type event where we (along with a couple other builders) built a high dollar luxury property.
Now that the event is over, we have to sell this property...like yesterday

I would like to know what the best plan of attack would be? What would you do first? I watch shows like "Million Dollar Listing" and it seems like the big black tie event is the way to go, but I'm not in NYC and that just doesn't seem to be the culture here. Should I target the luxury Realtors? Should I go directly to the big corporations around town and try to get info on executives relocating to the area? I've thought about dropping off brochures at the offices of attorneys and plastic surgeons lol

Any ideas would be great! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
I didn't see the word BROKER in there...but you want some good free advice??

is this one property or many units??

put it in,,,, craigslist, the paper, any local online real estate sites

if it were me, this is what I would do- meet with 4 different real estate companies, pick one agent out of each company, that has sold like properties, have a "listing interview" with each one of them, walk the property with them, ask how they would sell/market it, and also ask them, what they think it is worth-ask for recent comps that have sold
there's a good chance one of them may have a qualified buyer already for it- then negotiate a commission with no split..(if they have a buyer)

Old 07-07-2014, 08:37 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,393,358 times
Don't over price it if it is way out of the market. In a more expensive market, for example, maybe you price at $1.6M but accept $1.4M. In a lower priced market, price it at $1.4M but don't go any lower.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
What are we talking about here.... list price-wise? How many properties SOLD close to your list price in the past 3 months? Past 6 months? And how long did they take to sell?

I gather you used construction financing to build the spec.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
It's common advice that you are better off owning the worst house in a great neighborhood, where the others pull up your value, than the best house in a less expensive neighborhood where the opposite happens. That horse has left the barn, though, so now you are faced with the problem some friends had when they were in a similar situation. They ended up renting it out for two years because there were no qualified buyers interested in living in that neighborhood, for enough to cover the payments/taxes. Eventually they did sell it but only for a little more than they had paid. When interviewing realtors, ask them to provide examples of properties they have sold in a similar situation, and ask them how they will market it. Choose the one that makes the most sense to you. If they are used to the commission on $200k homes, the potential pay day should provide a lot of motivation, but even the best realtor can't sell a home if there are no buyers.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Price is everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat24 View Post
I work for a builder in a small metro where the average sales price is around $200k. Recently we participated in a "home-a-rama" type event where we (along with a couple other builders) built a high dollar luxury property. Now that the event is over, we have to sell this property...like yesterday
Lower the price to $200K.
Problem solved.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat24 View Post
I work for a builder in a small metro where the average sales price is around $200k. Recently we participated in a "home-a-rama" type event where we (along with a couple other builders) built a high dollar luxury property.
Now that the event is over, we have to sell this property...like yesterday

I would like to know what the best plan of attack would be? What would you do first? I watch shows like "Million Dollar Listing" and it seems like the big black tie event is the way to go, but I'm not in NYC and that just doesn't seem to be the culture here. Should I target the luxury Realtors? Should I go directly to the big corporations around town and try to get info on executives relocating to the area? I've thought about dropping off brochures at the offices of attorneys and plastic surgeons lol

Any ideas would be great! Thanks in advance!
It seems strange to me that this wasn't thought out long before you started planning the spec on this home. If the other homes in the area don't comp, it's gonna be pretty hard to get what you have in it.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times
You can list it on zillow for free. Just make sure the zestimate is at or above your asking before entering the listing and offer something out to the buyers agents.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's common advice that you are better off owning the worst house in a great neighborhood, where the others pull up your value, than the best house in a less expensive neighborhood where the opposite happens. That horse has left the barn, though...
OP has committed a classic blunder: over-building for your neighborhood. It is inevitable that the neighborhood will drag the house value down.

All I can say is be prepared to take a loss and charge it up to your gain in experience.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:57 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
OP has committed a classic blunder: over-building for your neighborhood. It is inevitable that the neighborhood will drag the house value down.

All I can say is be prepared to take a loss and charge it up to your gain in experience.
Even worse, several builders went in together on this fiasco? Are they all new to the business? SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate