Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 PM

177 posts, read 278,381 times

Advertisements

Agent said it does not matter, since people have painted so many times over the lead paint, if not eating paint chip (child), it is not a problem at all.

The house is built in 1960s (before 1978, when lead paint was banned), and many houses in the community are built in 1960s. So not many choices out there.

How should I paint the wall in the future? Can I paint it on my own? Or I need to hire someone who is lead-safe certified.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,388,384 times
Hypothetically, it will probably be OK.

However if it were me personally, I wouldn't buy it.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:54 PM

177 posts, read 278,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Hypothetically, it will probably be OK.

However if it were me personally, I wouldn't buy it.
I understand, but there are not many choices in some cities. Take NYC for example, I believe there are many houses with more than 100 years old.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:59 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,159 times
Here's a copy of the Lead Based Paint information pamphlet that is produced by HUD and is required to to be provided to everyone buying a home built before 1978:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/lead/libr...nt/pyf_eng.pdf

They also have a pamphlet, "Reducing Lead Hazards When Remodeling Your Home" that is very informative on precautions and concerns: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/docu...=DOC_11876.pdf

It should answer some of your questions. Most of the issues that become problems come about from when the paint is disturbed via sanding, scraping, etc., and the dust starts flying around and can be inhaled. As the manual says, "In most cases, lead-based paint that is in good condition is not a hazard."

Old 08-26-2014, 09:29 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,618,128 times
At least some states, if not all, have the lead based paint disclosure as part of their contracts.

When it's a problem is when it's peeling, when it's eaten by curiuos children or babies crawling, and exploring, when it's inhaled from peeling and chipping, and when it is being removed...that's a biggie.

Removal is called the red zone by professionals. Nowadays, I've seen it require plastic sheeting and those top notch breathing masks for removal. But sometimes that is what one wants if, say, there is what's called alligatoring (large pits and peeling) in the paint in order to have a better, smooth paint job.

We had neighbors whose two out of three children had lead poisoning. They didn't eat paint chips. They must have inhaled it. And the one child not affected....who knows. They had a nurse come to their house regularly for years to check them. They acted completely healthy after a certain time period. But it can hang on for years.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:25 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,421,118 times
Out here not that many homes in that era have lead paint as they started phasing it out in 1950. Have you had it tested?

Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Very expensive to remove, and a red flag for many buyers (just as you are questioning it). That means when you go to sell you will have buyers that walk away. In the future, any city/county/state could pass a law requiring it to be eliminated before a sale, as is happening now with side sewer inspections in areas of CA. We had a neighbor with asbestos in the siding. They had someone come out and cover it with vinyl siding which was OK with local codes but they had to disclose and had a lot of trouble selling it. I'd keep looking.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:05 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
If you are going to buy a house from the 1960s, just assume it likely has lead based paint. Whether or not it has ever been tested is sort of irrelevant. If it has been tested, then you know. If it hasn't, just assume it does have it.

On our rentals from prior to 1978, we've never had any of them tested, and when I give the tenants the "lead in your home" brochure and the disclosure form, I always tell them "don't eat the paint (eg don't let your kids gnaw on the windowsills), don't eat the dirt around the house, and if you have peeling paint, leave it alone and let us know." Otherwise, like your agent said, the paint with lead is likely 4 or 5 layers down (if not more) and is no issue. However, if you were going to sand and repaint, you would be best to hire a lead paint certified company (in some areas, this may be required). If you're just going to paint over top without sanding, and you have no peeling paint, you could do it yourself.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:14 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post

We had neighbors whose two out of three children had lead poisoning. They didn't eat paint chips. They must have inhaled it. And the one child not affected....who knows. They had a nurse come to their house regularly for years to check them. They acted completely healthy after a certain time period. But it can hang on for years.

Many kids toys had lead paint for years, even into this millennium. It has also been found in things like lunchboxes, candy, clothes, purses, jewelry, and many other things. It is also sometimes in the plumbing of older houses and can contaminate the water supply in your house. How many small children do you know that DON'T put toys in their mouths? It doesn't even necessarily have to be ingested or inhaled. In some cases, it can be absorbed through the skin, instead.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:01 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,403,094 times
Contrary to popular belief, the primary exposure route is not from kids eating paint chips. Rather, it's from inhalation of lead paint dust. This most often occurs when the window frames are painted with lead paint and the scraping from opening and closing windows creates a dust which becomes airborne. There is little cause for concern if the walls are painted with lead paint and they've subsequently been repainted, covering up the lead paint. If the windowsills and frames were never painted, the threat of exposure is minuscule. If they have been painted, steps can be taken to either remove the old paint or cover it up, using reasonable care when opening windows.

Not surprisingly, most soil in urban areas has elevated levels of lead. This is not from lead paint, of course, but from years of burning leaded gasoline. Don't let your kids eat the soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate