Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 06:29 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,042,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Objectively, no judgment for you or your neighbor, that looks like an old neighborhood and your driveways' aesthetics need an overhaul. Perhaps that pesky divider should be smoothed away, the two driveways married and repaved smoothly. For your own designated driveway, consider possible uses for your vast front yard, perhaps paving your very own separate driveway on your lawn, maybe a luxurious semi-circle driveway.
This solution makes no sense. OP is having a problem with the neighbors and the neighbor's friends parking in his driveway so you suggest to "marry" the 2 driveways is counter to what he seeks.

OP, as others have said, survey then hedges at the edge of your property sounds like the most practical solution and which avoids the issue of a damaged fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 10:10 AM

22,622 posts, read 36,563,865 times
I would relocate your driveway further to the right or even the other side of the house if you can and put up privacy bushes where the current drive is.

My sister had a shared driveway like this in her last house and got along great with that neighbor. When the house sold, she was worried about the new owner, but he moved the driveway to the other side of the house which made her very happy.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:33 PM

5,290 posts, read 5,201,888 times
Who in the world would ever buy a house with a driveway like this? Could those houses be any closer together.

Blech!!!!! Thank god I have 10 acres.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:35 PM

2,501 posts, read 6,301,085 times
I think a solid fence would be a little too much. Nothing says I hate my neighbors more than a tall solid wood fence right smack dab down the middle of the driveway. I think you what need something open thats more decorative barrier than fence. Doesnt have to be real tall. Just so its tall enough to make folks think twice about driving over it. Pointy is good too. Heres a few ideas for after you survey the lot line.

Simple but effective. Install simple black metal posts with decorative finials. Posts only need to be 2' tall to stop drive overs. Hang decorative black chain between posts. Make sure theyre deep and substantial.

If you want to get a little fancier. You could curve your drive away from your neighbors and install a flower bed. The bed would look like a right angled triangle only the long side would be curved. Still do a fence/barrier but there would be room for lanscaping. Maybe even a small tree towards the road.

If you want a real fence this would be nice.
http://etc.usf.edu/clippix/pix/iron-fence_medium.jpg

JMO but I would keep my fence open and black. A black fence is more see thru and wouldnt call attention to itself.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:00 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,561,171 times
As has been said, check how much a fence set back has to be for a fence and for any landscaping.

And about how far toward the road it can extend...check on that. DOT might have something to say about it unless your road is private.

A fence makes a statement right there.

A hedge...they could plow through it if they get made enough or drunk enough.

I'd do both. A hedge and strong posts (fence)...so the bushes grow straight, you know. But while the bushes are growing wide enough be sure the fence is strong from the beginning to discourage people driving through them. And I'd run the fence/hedge combo as far as allowed to the road. Otherwise, you'll have people parking at the end of your driveway.

If the bushes grown tall enough it will work to your advantage so you don't have to look at the line of cars in his driveway.

In order for the bushes to be tall,they could also need to grow wide. So you'd dig up your driveway accordingly. Could be 4' wide and take away use of your parking space beside your garage.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:03 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,938,833 times
I'd opt for a raised stone/cement divider to replace the current one that is crumbling.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:29 PM

466 posts, read 640,251 times
OP just spent money resurfacing the driveway. The suggestions here to survey the lot, move the driveway and plant a hedge or put up a fence are a wonderful long term solution, but pricey. We don't know the OP's financial situation or if he plans to stay in the house long term. If this is just too expensive of an option, I'd opt for chaotix' suggestion to just raise the divider by 2 or 3 feet, after first checking with the town.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:48 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,291,560 times
Maybe a small retaining wall (1-2 feet high) with flowers/vegetation planted on top? You'd have to lose a bit of your driveway to do this, but not much. I agree you need something to officially divide the driveway but get a survey first.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,220,196 times
How about trellises with climbing roses or some other vine (that is not deciduous)? Doesn't take up a lot of room, is a fence that isn't a fence, and does the job.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,608,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
OP just spent money resurfacing the driveway.
But strangely, couldn't come up with pictures other than old Google street view
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate