Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 11:17 AM

59 posts, read 255,437 times

Advertisements

We used our entire savings to buy new house . Previous home has now been listed for almost 4 months , lowered price by $6K once , house is 4 bedroom , 3 bathroom all brick on 2 + acres listed at $154K . Listing agent has not shown house once , has really not tried to market it , other agents have shown it a couple times . Our agent doesn't return phone calls , e-mails replies once every few weeks , tried to communicate with the brocker who neither returns phone calls or e-mails . Is it time change listing agents = companies ,? we have 2 1/2 months left on a 6 month contract . Thanks......We really need to sell the house .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 01:27 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,784,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdef View Post
We used our entire savings to buy new house . Previous home has now been listed for almost 4 months , lowered price by $6K once , house is 4 bedroom , 3 bathroom all brick on 2 + acres listed at $154K . Listing agent has not shown house once , has really not tried to market it , other agents have shown it a couple times . Our agent doesn't return phone calls , e-mails replies once every few weeks , tried to communicate with the brocker who neither returns phone calls or e-mails . Is it time change listing agents = companies ,? we have 2 1/2 months left on a 6 month contract . Thanks......We really need to sell the house .
It's not unusual that your listing has not shown the home, because s/he may not have received calls from a buyer. It's the listing agents job to market the home to buyers and other realtors, so as to generate traffic to your home.

It is your agents responsibility to communicate with you. If you're not getting communication from your agent nor the broker, then I would say it's time to begin interviewing other agents for the possibility of taking the listing when it expires.

You need to get each of them to tell you why they think the home has not sold, and to provide you with a CMA along with a suggested price range so you can choose a new price if necessary.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Finding reputable realestate agents

I know one thing we'll never ever refer that listing company to anyone else . When we saw the house we did buy it was 10 days after we initially saw the outside of it before the agent could find time to have us see the inside . I imagine we have to wait until our 6 month listing expires until we can list with someone else ?? Who does one report problems to concerning realestate agents or is it better to just to ignore it ?? & figure it is just the way things are in the south . Thanks ..

Old 12-30-2007, 04:28 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,784,370 times
Quote:
I know one thing we'll never ever refer that listing company to anyone else . When we saw the house we did buy it was 10 days after we initially saw the outside of it before the agent could find time to have us see the inside . I imagine we have to wait until our 6 month listing expires until we can list with someone else ?? Who does one report problems to concerning realestate agents or is it better to just to ignore it ?? & figure it is just the way things are in the south . Thanks ..
When you initiate a contact with a new realtor while you are listed with another one, that new realtor can discuss a listing with you, and can even sign a listing to take effect after the existing listing expires.

You can document the times that you've called your current agent and broker with no responses, and all the other things the current agent has done, or not done, to prove that the agent has not performed as contracted.

Send that to the existing broker and the agent and request them to mutually cancel the listing agreement. Follow up with a phone call and document everything.

Then ask the agent whom you wish to be your new agent to call the existing broker to discuss the situation amicably with him or her and ask the broker to cancel the listing.

If the broker plays hard ball, you could send another letter stating that you will make a complaint to the Department of Real Estate and to the local board of realtors to which they belong, if they don't immediately cancel the listing.

Whether you would want to follow up with that complaint would be up to you.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:59 PM

Thanks , ever so much for your very helpful information ....

Old 12-30-2007, 06:37 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,734,144 times
Quote:
Never ever let an agent take advantage of you. If you have a legitimate beef that's not being rectified w/the agent direct, you can start w/the attorney general or the SC assoc of realtors...see the right side to log a complaint.

I threatened that to a former realtor who wasn't working in my best interests and got action immediately.

http://www.screaltors.com/links.html (broken link)

Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Never ever let an agent take advantage of you. If you have a legitimate beef that's not being rectified w/the agent direct, you can start w/the attorney general or the SC assoc of realtors...see the right side to log a complaint.

I threatened that to a former realtor who wasn't working in my best interests and got action immediately.

http://www.screaltors.com/links.html (broken link)

CJ be careful about your advice in these situations. The object is always to clean up the problem real quick. That often does not align with the best legal solution.

If you suggest someone start a battle make sure it can be won quickly. If you successfully gain release from the two months remaining on a contract and it takes four months it is not much of a victory.

In gneneral taking any of these to court is vastly more expensive and risky than the likely return.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:10 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,734,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
CJ be careful about your advice in these situations. The object is always to clean up the problem real quick. That often does not align with the best legal solution.

If you suggest someone start a battle make sure it can be won quickly. If you successfully gain release from the two months remaining on a contract and it takes four months it is not much of a victory.

In gneneral taking any of these to court is vastly more expensive and risky than the likely return.
I did preface by saying I threatened to do this to my realtor and got action quickly by doing that.

I agree w/your statement, though threating alot of times works....

Old 12-31-2007, 05:48 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I did preface by saying I threatened to do this to my realtor and got action quickly by doing that.

I agree w/your statement, though threating alot of times works....
Yeah...I love to yell and scream. And it often works. But if it does not be cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate