Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 AM

625 posts, read 952,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
I'm curious. What do you do for a living?

I work as an office manager at a medical practice. I work on medical billing, invoice statements, and administrative tasks at a medical lab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Geeze lighten up already folks. If his parents are OK with his living there, then why shouldn't he move back home? For folks who are getting older, it's nice to have a strong young person in the house to do the heavy lifting. I think there are some good suggestions here. If they won't take rent money from him, he can compensate them in other ways and it will be a mutually beneficial relationship.

Billions of people live under one roof in this world. We in America and Europe are unusual that way; we feel we have to move out at 18 and never come back. If he can put up with it for a couple of years, he can save his pennies and then be more independent later on when he finds a wife and wants to set up a household of his own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
i don't get why you'd move back home when your rent is so low. the problem with moving back home is that your mom will start doing your laundry, cooking your meals and cleaning up after you. i side eye guys in their 30's who live at home b/c i would pretty much assume they'd be pretty spoiled. living on your own isn't just about finances but building life skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Unless your not making your bills I would not move back with parents or take a roommate. Independence and privacy are worth every penny. Roomates are almost always a problem, they often don't pay their bills, they get into your stuff, uh no way. Id choose the parents before that option. The rent payments you were claiming you paid are under 400 dollars, that is really cheap. Sounds like your doing the right thing keeping your rent down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I was just asking but in this economic age $200.00 isn't much and you could do something else to help financially.
Make it your job to go to the grocery store, upgrade the cable if there is any and have it put in your name.
Do the lawn work, things like that.

I just mailed my 30 day notice to my landlord yesterday. As you already know, I didn't buy that house due to the results of that home inspection. I need to decide whether to live in a $350 one bedroom apartment or move back home. All of these are very good points, but after looking at all of the details of my situation, if you were me, what would you do ?

Old 11-03-2014, 05:03 AM

847 posts, read 1,351,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
I just mailed my 30 day notice to my landlord yesterday. As you already know, I didn't buy that house due to the results of that home inspection. I need to decide whether to live in a $350 one bedroom apartment or move back home. All of these are very good points, but after looking at all of the details of my situation, if you were me, what would you do ?

You should be a man and live on our own is what you should do. Your not a kid anymore. Why on Earth would a 37 year old male adult want to run home and let mom and dad support him when you can afford to do so yourself?

Sheesh. Don't you think they have done their part already?

Old 11-03-2014, 05:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:

I need to decide whether to live (by myself) or (with others).
...if you were me, what would you do ?
Move in with others.

That concept of "others" is NOT limited to or usually best when family.
iow... share a home with other adults close to your own age.
Maybe even something like or might lead to a relationship.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Move in with others.

That concept of "others" is NOT limited to or usually best when family.
iow... share a home with other adults close to your own age.
Maybe even something like or might lead to a relationship.

Would craigslist work with sharing with roommates? I could just live in a cheap one bedroom apartment for $350/month or $400/month. Moving back to my parents' house would be another option but I would be worried about compromising my independence and privacy, especially if I work for one of my parents. Honestly, if I had lived in cheaper apartments 11 years ago from the beginning of my full-time job way back in 2003, I wouldn't have even cared about how long I rented apartments!

Old 11-04-2014, 03:28 PM

There are numerous options, but in the end, it all comes down to making the right decision for me. I work 50 hours a week and when I am not working, I get stressed out over everything else. I will go to the gym tonight and try to get my mind off this for now. I only have until the end of this month to decide what to do. I will keep everyone updated.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:21 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
Its funny how the American culture looks down at people who live with "family". But in eastern culture its frown upon if families don't stay together, regardless of the age

Old 11-05-2014, 08:07 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
I know a friend of mine from college who lives at his parents' house, and he has a very good paying job. My friend makes way more money than me. He travels around the world, and I just visited him earlier this year. I was just sick of renting apartments, and I just wanted to save up for a larger down payment on a house.
That just makes him a scrub, and his parents a couple of doormats.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:08 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
You should be a man and live on our own is what you should do. Your not a kid anymore. Why on Earth would a 37 year old male adult want to run home and let mom and dad support him when you can afford to do so yourself?

Sheesh. Don't you think they have done their part already?
Exactly!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That just makes him a scrub, and his parents a couple of doormats.

My friend previously lived in a one bedroom apartment but moved back to his parents' house a few years ago. His mother passed away, so only my friend and his father live there. But he has saved a lot of money living at home versus living in an apartment, especially since he makes a lot of money already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate