Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:25 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times

Advertisements

I think as long as what you leave doesn't seem like "clutter" that is in the way, it's a nice thing to do for the new owner. Sellers left me a half dozen cans of assorted paint, several boxes of tile, etc. They were hidden away in a corner of a storage area; I didn't even notice the boxes until weeks after I moved in.

They also left a folder and CD-R with all the old appliance manuals, a listing of what paint colors had been applied to what rooms, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 08:42 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
If a buyer left all that, I would be pissed. We bought our house a few months ago, and the sellers had all that neatly on the garage, we wanted it removed, stipulated it into the contract.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:08 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
If a buyer left all that, I would be pissed. We bought our house a few months ago, and the sellers had all that neatly on the garage, we wanted it removed, stipulated it into the contract.
Hope you don't ever crack a tile!

Old 12-01-2014, 10:14 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
One home I sold had a higher end oven with lots of accessories and a Jenn Air range with accessories.

The buyer was very unhappy and wanted it gone... so I picked it up... two boxes with some items new.

During the Holidays... they had family come to visit... this was several months after the sale.

She called me and wanted the items back... told her I had disposed of them and she blamed me for letting her get rid of them!

One of her guests told her how expensive the Jenn Air accessories are...

Customer is always right... even if they are not.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:01 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
In our last house we left that kind of stuff behind when we sold. We knew the new home owner would appreciate not having to go out and find matches.

With our current house, the homeowners left behind all the paint they used in the house, which has been a lifesaver of the years as we've needed to do a LOT of touchups in the eight years we've been in the house!
Our previous homeowners took that to the extreme. They left about 30 cans of old paint in the garage. Did you know you have to take paint to the recycling place?.....That was a pain in the rear...

Old 12-02-2014, 10:27 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Our previous homeowners took that to the extreme. They left about 30 cans of old paint in the garage. Did you know you have to take paint to the recycling place?.....That was a pain in the rear...
A perfect example of the two sides of the opinions on leaving stuff. Even if the paint was 5 cans. There seem to be people very positive or very negative on this in my personal experience. And, yes, some wish they hadn't thrown stuff out. But some people just don't understand, some don't like to lift heavy things that are not theirs, and, yes, the difficulty in disposing of some things. Better to check before giving a surprise gift.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:35 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
30 cans of paint is rude. It's one thing to leave the paint cans for all the colors currently up on the walls or exterior of the house. But it's not ok to leave the cans from all the paint you ever used while living in the house and the sellers should have had the courtesy to haul that to recycling themselves.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:48 AM

530 posts, read 358,651 times
I just closed on a house 2 weeks ago and the seller left me some of his yard tools and tiles. He also offered to show me how to open the pool when time comes. He gave me his cell number to call him anytime I had any questions on the house !

Old 12-02-2014, 10:59 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Thanks for the responses. I've decided to leave about 27-30 sq feet of the rare tiles (3 boxes) and two boxes of the common tile. The rest I will donate to Habitat for Humanity.

As for paint cans, I am planning on leaving one can of all the paint colors that I've used in the home both exterior and interior. Unfortunately, I have over 12 rooms and all of them are not the same color. These were all from recent paint jobs, not from ten years ago. Those were discarded. My line of thinking is that the paint is relatively expensive when I purchased it (Sherwin Williams) and to save the buyer the expense of having to buy (even a quart) for touch up. However, I will ask if that's what the Buyer wants and take it from there. The paint cans are stacked on two neat shelves btw.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:07 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Thanks for the responses. I've decided to leave about 27-30 sq feet of the rare tiles (3 boxes) and two boxes of the common tile. The rest I will donate to Habitat for Humanity.

As for paint cans, I am planning on leaving one can of all the paint colors that I've used in the home both exterior and interior. Unfortunately, I have over 12 rooms and all of them are not the same color. These were all from recent paint jobs, not from ten years ago. Those were discarded. My line of thinking is that the paint is relatively expensive when I purchased it (Sherwin Williams) and to save the buyer the expense of having to buy (even a quart) for touch up. However, I will ask if that's what the Buyer wants and take it from there. The paint cans are stacked on two neat shelves btw.
Since you are going to be in communication, you should ask about the tile too, rather than donating on your own. If they don't want all of it, then you can donate, but they may be fine keeping it all, just in case they want to use it down the road. Or they may be planning on changing the flooring and don't want any of the tile and then you can donate all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate