Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:12 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times

Advertisements

With 11 dogs between 2 families, nothing good will happen here. At some point it ceases being who is right or wrong, because in a blink of an eye the situation escalates out of control and no one wins. This is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Sure, you can take care of it and exercise your rights, but watch your back, your dogs' backs and your kids' backs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:21 AM

274 posts, read 427,381 times
For everyone recommending the electric fence...remember there has to be a ground for it to shock, so you need to configure it so the dog is making contact with both the fence, and something to ground it. If they are simply leaping over the fence and not touching the fence or ground then the fence won't do anything.

I used to own a lab that would literally leap my 4' fence in a single bound....single strand of wire didn't do anything. The wireless fence however worked quite nicely....

Old 12-12-2014, 11:16 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Its sad to see how many folks would kill a dog because it has lousy owners. IF a dog is in attack mode and you're protecting your kids or pets, I get it. Any other killing is cruel. There are many ways to remove the problem without resorting to murder.

For the poster who killed the pitts: Were they attacking? It didn't sound like it, sounded more like you did it because the mom MIGHT attack. Wouldn't a trip to the pound have been more humane?

Bottom line, I don't believe in punishing a animal for something out of its control. Some people don't deserve a pet, and some shouldn't be around any animals if they enjoy killing for fun. My neighbors huge dog poops in my yard, I've never had a mean thought towards the dog. The owner is another matter.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:30 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
I haven't read the whole thread but if I was in this situation I'd call animal control immediately. And I'd continue calling and videotaping each and every incident until it is resolved. I have had (and still have) a few of the breeds involved in this chaos and you're right...there is going to be a fight and it will not end well. In the meantime, I'd stay outside and supervise my dogs. And every single time that dog jumps the fence, I'd spray him down with the hose.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:20 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Its sad to see how many folks would kill a dog because it has lousy owners. IF a dog is in attack mode and you're protecting your kids or pets, I get it. Any other killing is cruel. There are many ways to remove the problem without resorting to murder.

For the poster who killed the pitts: Were they attacking? It didn't sound like it, sounded more like you did it because the mom MIGHT attack. Wouldn't a trip to the pound have been more humane?

Bottom line, I don't believe in punishing a animal for something out of its control. Some people don't deserve a pet, and some shouldn't be around any animals if they enjoy killing for fun. My neighbors huge dog poops in my yard, I've never had a mean thought towards the dog. The owner is another matter.
No, they were not attacking. However, I had seen how the mother was, and had tried reasoning with the owners to no avail, and had tried just "shooing" the dogs away, and they kept coming back. Out here, there is no animal control. Maybe, beyond that, I could've trapped them and taken them to the dog shelter or the like, but that would've required a lot more time and effort out of my life, and I'm all about solving the problem expediently. I have neither the time nor the inclination, and certainly not the patience, to play around with these things. To me, whatever is the quickest and easiest is what matters and absolutely nothing else, especially if you have tried other more humane ways (as I had). it's no different than spraying bugs with a can of Hot Shot or setting a mouse trap.

It could've all been avoided had the owner heeded my ample warnings. If anyone "murdered" those dogs, he did. And yes--there are people who would tell a neighbor in your case "if your dog poops in my yard once more, I'm blowing his brains out" because it sure seems to require such drastic action to get their attention. Nothing else works with such people, and the frustrated neighbor wants the problem solved--easily, and quickly. They didn't ask for the trouble, they're just trying to get back to their life and move on. You don't ask a neighbor to tolerate that nonsense because of how cruel a shooting is to an animal. The minute you do that, you're putting an animal's interests as superior to those of a human being, which is an abomination in my eyes. If you want to hold someone accountable for animal cruelty, hold the OWNERS accountable.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:02 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Anyone BB guns my dog is getting a visit from the authorities
"Hello officer, thank you for coming. Although I've repeatedly ignored my neighbors' requests to keep my large dog from jumping the fence into their backyard and terrorizing their smaller dog, I'd like you to arrest my neighbor for shooting my dog with a BB gun on his property."

I don't think that calling the authorities would turn out well for the irresponsible dog owner.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
That's true. It's just awfully tough to then maintain any kind of civil relationship with the neighbors. I don't know how important that is to the OP.
It obviously isn't important to the neighbors...

Old 12-12-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper_girl221 View Post
For everyone recommending the electric fence...remember there has to be a ground for it to shock, so you need to configure it so the dog is making contact with both the fence, and something to ground it. If they are simply leaping over the fence and not touching the fence or ground then the fence won't do anything.
Simple solution: run a stretch of grounded wire parallel to the hot wire.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:17 AM

5 posts, read 12,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
I'm very thankful that I don't live nextdoor to either of you and your mess of dogs. Both of you would irritate the hell out of me. While the two of you point a finger of blame at the other, neither of you understand that you're but a dog bite away from a major lawsuit.

Dump the access dog baggage. You can't handle the load.

I happen to be a responsible owner who handles my four dogs VERY well. Except for on leash they never leave their own fenced yard (3/4 acre). I never allow more then two of the four dogs outside at the same time and if any of them bark more then a few minutes they are immediately brought indoors. When I let them out early in the a.m. I ALWAYS go outside with them to make sure there is no barking because I always want to be considerate of my neighbors. Frankly, if you lived next door to me you'd be hard pressed 99% of the time to even know I have dogs! Mine are all extremely well socialized dogs that love people and none of them are dog reactive. Why do I point my finger at my one next door neighbor? Because THEIR extremely dog aggressive German Shepherd keeps jumping the fence into MY yard and trying to bite MY dogs. Frankly, I'm not worried about a dog bite OR a major lawsuit because my dogs stay in their own yard and, unlike the neighbors GS, they are not aggressive toward people OR other dogs. I'm a vigilant and considerate dog owner and I don't need to dump any of my dogs because I handle the load just fine. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for my neighbors.

Thanks to all for the electric wire on the fence suggestion. Will be trying that in the next day or two.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:33 AM

5 posts, read 12,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
That is what I was thinking. Sounds like one horrible place to live with all the lazy people just letting their dogs out in yards and no one walks them. Can't stand my couple of neighbors that just let their dogs out in the yard as if that is kind. How about getting off your butt and walking the poor things. GOODNESS! Report your neighbor to the local authorities and then turn yourself in as well.

Lazy? I beg your pardon...but I DO walk my dogs. My large yard is also fenced so they are also allowed to run and play at times. My dogs are well behaved and when it comes to neighbors I have always gone out of my way to be considerate. My well behaved dogs mind their own business, always stay in their own yard except when they're on leash. They aren't the ones jumping into someone else's yard and creating problems. Do tell---what exactly is it I should turn MYSELF in for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate