Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:23 PM

129 posts, read 189,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
So, does this belong in REAL ESTATE or METAL HEALTH ?
Probably.
Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 04:47 PM

271 posts, read 427,180 times
i'm also going through a home buying process and i'm worried i will regret our decision. or that in the end i'll get so tired of looking i'll settle for second choice. it's really tough! but don't beat yourself up. as you know, no house is perfect. i'm sure you'll get used to living there and you will adapt to the noise.
by the way, i personally like HOA's. otherwise, your neighbor's yard can become a nightmare which will ultimately affect the whole neighborhood's value.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:48 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
There's been a plethora of these similar topics lately :/

Can't you see what your problem is? You've been searching for an elusive unicorn that doesn't exist. I don't know whether to blame that on the home channels or what, but there's way too many people out here that are expecting way too much. There is no such thing as a "forever home". You choose a home within your budget and OVER THE YEARS make it into the home that you've always wanted. I am going to be 40 when I move out of my home of over 10 years. That was, I suppose, gonna be my "forever home" but ten years in, we moved in a different direction. That happens.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinthejourney View Post
i'm also going through a home buying process and i'm worried i will regret our decision. or that in the end i'll get so tired of looking i'll settle for second choice. it's really tough! but don't beat yourself up. as you know, no house is perfect. i'm sure you'll get used to living there and you will adapt to the noise.
by the way, i personally like HOA's. otherwise, your neighbor's yard can become a nightmare which will ultimately affect the whole neighborhood's value.
This is what I don't like about HOA's. My opinion is that his property is none of anyone's business. Nobody else pays his mortgage, his taxes, his bills. If your neighbor gets too bad you can call code enforcement. Otherwise live and let live. After looking for a year and a half I can tell you that one or two houses don't make any difference in the price of your home. Now a whole neighborhood that would be different. Also most houses in our price range were in good areas.. because most people who pay that much for their home take care of them. Oh and I live next to a guy right now (not my new home, but old) that has a junky backyard, tons of crap in front of his house, trailer, stuff everywhere etc. WHO CARES, they are nice people and have done nothing to me.. why would I want some group of control freaks to tell him how to live.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarick View Post
This is what I don't like about HOA's. My opinion is that his property is none of anyone's business. Nobody else pays his mortgage, his taxes, his bills. If your neighbor gets too bad you can call code enforcement. Otherwise live and let live. After looking for a year and a half I can tell you that one or two houses don't make any difference in the price of your home. Now a whole neighborhood that would be different. Also most houses in our price range were in good areas.. because most people who pay that much for their home take care of them. Oh and I live next to a guy right now (not my new home, but old) that has a junky backyard, tons of crap in front of his house, trailer, stuff everywhere etc. WHO CARES, they are nice people and have done nothing to me.. why would I want some group of control freaks to tell him how to live.
Well, the junk collectors may not SEEM to have done anything to you, but wait until you put that house of yours up for sale. The vast majority of your potential buyers will NOT want to look at stuff like that. They won't know your neighbors and they will view living next door to such a mess as a detriment. Many will choose never to tour your house after they've done a drive-by to evaluate curb appeal. Others will give you a low-ball offer because they think the house lacks value due to its surroundings.

Your property is being DEVALUED by a neighbor with "tons of crap in front of his house." You will not get nearly the price you might have for your house if his home remains looking like Fred Sanford lives there.

You might see HOAs as busybodies telling you how to live ... but others see them as guardians of home value. That's why they are so popular. Even municipalities with good zoning regulations are not as successful as HOAs at getting homeowners to show some reasonable respect for the community in which they live. "No man is an island," as the poet said. The appearance of our homes reflects on our neighbors and can cause them to gain or to lose money at sale time.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 12-10-2014 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-10-2014, 06:14 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarick
We looked for a house for over a year and a half. About midway through this process we found a house in a really nice wooded neighborhood. However, my realtor kinda rushed us into putting in an offer (didn't use that realtor afterwards) and it made me a little mad.
Im sorry they did this.... Some of them will as THEY MAKE BIG COMMISIONS ON SELLING A HOUSE!!

Why dont you just fix the house THEY WAY YOU WANT IT?

Why do you care what the neighbours say??????? -- ITS YOUR HOUSE!!!!!!

Take a stand buddy!!!!!! -- PAINT WHATEVER COLOUR YOU WANT!!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:31 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Ugh, a year and a half. Anything would look good after that. How have I been able to find suitable houses within several weeks of looking?

Your initial posts reads like an episode of Property Brothers. Alas, real life doesn't work that way. Your home is a work in progress. It will never be completely finished; there will always be something you want to do.
Make a list of all the repairs you want to make, and then prioritize them by what needs doing first vs what can wait, what you can do yourself vs what you'll need professional help with, and what you can afford right now vs what you'll have to save up for. Whatever chore satisfies now, DIY and least expensive, do that one first. Sounds like painting the walls to me. Good luck.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:46 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,048,075 times
this is a good example of what I would explain to a buyer if I were a buyer's agent.

Lower their expectations going into a home search.

Buying a home requires a lot of compromise, and you need to decide whether problems are easy to fix rather than writing them off completely.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Well, the junk collectors may not SEEM to have done anything to you, but wait until you put that house of yours up for sale. The vast majority of your potential buyers will NOT want to look at stuff like that. They won't know your neighbors and they will view living next door to such a mess as a detriment. Many will choose never to tour your house after they've done a drive-by to evaluate curb appeal. Others will give you a low-ball offer because they think the house lacks value due to its surroundings.

Your property is being DEVALUED by a neighbor with "tons of crap in front of his house." You will not get nearly the price you might have for your house if his home remains looking like Fred Sanford lives there.

You might see HOAs as busybodies telling you how to live ... but others see them as guardians of home value. That's why they are so popular. Even municipalities with good zoning regulations are not as successful as HOAs at getting homeowners to show some reasonable respect for the community in which they live. "No man is an island," as the poet said. The appearance of our homes reflects on our neighbors and can cause them to gain or to lose money at sale time.
I understand how you feel, but research home value appreciation in HOAs and you will find no meaningful statistics that prove this. Mainly because it doesn't exist. BTW he was there when I moved in. It didn't impact my decision one bit. He was there when the house across the street sold just a few months ago and it sold for more than I think it was worth.

I think the reason HOAs work is because like minded people like to live around like minded people. So if you love uniformity and control you are going to gravitate toward an HOA. Personally I hate the idea that a person believe another's value is any of my responsibility and until those people pay my bills they have no say over my life. But that is just me.. and I will have chickens in my backyard if I want no matter what anyone says.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:54 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Aren't you the person that took out the decibel meter to measure the traffic noise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate