Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 06:34 AM

592 posts, read 1,477,742 times

Advertisements

We bought our house in Dec 2013, and we've completely remodeled the interior over the last year. New kitchen, bathrooms, opened up walls, large slider. We even converted oil to gas with the all new HVAC.

The Zillow page for it tho, still had the realtor's old description from when it was up for sale, and the old photos of the 1970s interior.

We arent selling the house at all... not for many years.
But it bothered me that the old description and pics were floating out there.

so I just created an acct and claimed the property as mine. I then updated the description to represent our changes.

But the old photos are still there!
Should I update them? Or maybe just see if I can delete them?

again... not moving, and probably shouldnt care. ha

sometimes I think too hard. ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 06:57 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Yes, it is odd. Why would you bother? It does not benefit you in any way that I can conceive of, yet you would put time and energy into updating a some corporate website?

Old 02-24-2015, 07:03 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Z is only as important as you make it.
And, you may be assigning too much importance to Z at this time.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Yes, it is odd. Why would you bother? It does not benefit you in any way that I can conceive of, yet you would put time and energy into updating a some corporate website?
Simply... a coworker is looking to buy their first house, I directed them to Zillow to see home values for neighborhoods, and when I brought up my page it just struck me that it had the old "for sale" info.

I absolutely wanted the sales pitch removed. But then i went a little further and added some "recently updated" details

thanks!

Last edited by bellmark; 02-24-2015 at 07:16 AM..

Old 02-24-2015, 07:07 AM

268 posts, read 357,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
We bought our house in Dec 2013, and we've completely remodeled the interior over the last year. New kitchen, bathrooms, opened up walls, large slider. We even converted oil to gas with the all new HVAC.

The Zillow page for it tho, still had the realtor's old description from when it was up for sale, and the old photos of the 1970s interior.

We arent selling the house at all... not for many years.
But it bothered me that the old description and pics were floating out there.

so I just created an acct and claimed the property as mine. I then updated the description to represent our changes.

But the old photos are still there!
Should I update them? Or maybe just see if I can delete them?

again... not moving, and probably shouldnt care. ha

sometimes I think too hard. ha
And now you know how REALTORS feel.

Trillow has been notorious for outdated information.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 AM

268 posts, read 357,377 times
Quote:
Simply... a coworker is looking to buy their first house, I directed them to Zillow to see home values for neighborhoods, and when I brought up my page it just struck me that it had the old "for sale" info.

I absolutely wanted the sales pitch removed. But then i went a little further and added some "recently updated" details

Related.... I do find it odd that a person who has made 3,000 posts on a forum that they dont get paid for, chastises me for "putting in time and energy" into something i don't benefit from!

thanks!

FYI - Dont direct anyone to Trillow (trulia/zillow), especially for home values...yikes!

Send them to a REALTOR, the local MLS website search feature, or Realtor.com

http://www.latimes.com/business/real...208-story.html

Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dihappy View Post
FYI - Dont direct anyone to Trillow (trulia/zillow), especially for home values...yikes!

Send them to a REALTOR, the local MLS website search feature, or Realtor.com

ha! yes i completely get that.

We werent' really looking at the value of an individual house.. but the general ballpark prices of one town or area over another.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:32 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Unless trying to sell it, why would anyone want to publish interior photos and description of their home to the world? Crooks have computers, too.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
so I just created an acct and claimed the property as mine. I then updated the description to represent our changes. But the old photos are still there! Should I update them?
Look at all my nice stuff. Rob my house. Sure, sounds like a great idea.

Personally I would prefer anonymous people on the internet to think the house is crappy. Nothing like letting total strangers around the world think you have a nice house with lots of expensive things.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Unless trying to sell it, why would anyone want to publish interior photos and description of their home to the world? Crooks have computers, too.
This was my first thought. "Hey look at my house I just bought - look at how nice it is and all the stuff I have and yes, that is a toddler bed, my kid is adorable you pedophile you!"

No one with an ounce of real estate common sense worries about what is on Zillow.

My old house in NY was updated 10 years ago. The county came out and looked at the house for assessment purposes, but the pictures (exterior only of course) look nothing like its current state. Did I care? No. When they reassess every year they are looking at those pictures of a crappy looking house, I'm sure the new owner is thrilled as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate