Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:00 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,439 times

Advertisements

I'm buying a house for the first time. I have cash. My realtor showed me several and I found one I wanted, put an offer on it, offer was accepted. Then on closing day issues arose regarding the guardianship the house was in. Basically, the sellers didn't have all their ducks in a row and have had to go back to court, put it up for bids, etc., although at this point someone would have to come in and bid more than my offer for me to lose it. All this is beginning to stretch out. It's been a month or so. I need a house to be near my son's school and there are other issues (not about the house itself), but I needed to be in a different house weeks ago. Now I don't know if I really want that house, all this has sort of ruined it for me. I have the money, I've done everything I'm supposed to do, and the realtor has done everything she can do for now.

So I told her the other day how I felt and that I wanted to look at other houses, mainly to be further along in the case someone outbids me on this house. The realtor's husband is an old acquaintance of mine (yes, I know, I shouldn't have done that), and when he found out I asked to see other houses, he told me rather rudely that it was unethical for her to show me another house while under contract for this one. I felt like he was sort of strong-arming me continuing the path I'm on. I'm peeved that he butted in. He is "in training" to be a realtor. I am under contract to the realty company, but I've signed nothing on the house. The contract with the realty company is up in 2 weeks and if I don't have a house I'm going to be up the creek and really mad.

Is it unethical for her to show me more houses? I'm out of patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
I'm buying a house for the first time. I have cash. My realtor showed me several and I found one I wanted, put an offer on it, offer was accepted. ...

I am under contract to the realty company, but I've signed nothing on the house.
Have you submitted a written offer? Because if so, you DID sign something on the house.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:28 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
I'd be talking to the broker that your realtor works for about the husband getting in the middle of this. He needs to shut up and stay out of it.

Don't let this sour you on THIS house - but I do think it's wise to look at other alternatives. And if this realtor won't do it, get another one, and do whatever you have to do LEGALLY to get out of the contract for representation that you have with this realtor - EXCEPT for the house that you have already contracted for. She is entitled to that commission if that house ever closes. But, personally, I wouldn't want to deal with her again (mostly because of the husband).

Old 03-11-2015, 07:59 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
No. It is not unethical for a buyer agent to show you additional homes when you are under contract on a current property and it appears that it won't resolve in a timely manner.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:48 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
Wait, you put in an offer, get almost to closing and find out the sellers skipped a step or two and cannot close? Your contract has to be dead by now, unless you extended it. Take your contract to another broker - they will have access to legal and can tell you if you are free to move on or if you must wait. Shame on you agent for taking a passive role and not being your advocate.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:39 AM

410 posts, read 1,107,439 times
I did extend the contract. It is good for 2 more weeks. The sellers are supposed to go back to court in a week so basically they will have a week to pull it all off. I guess I will give it that.

I am definitely going to let her know how I feel about the husband getting involved and about not showing me more houses. She kept saying "I work for you." I may talk to the broker as well, and definitely will if I come out of this without a house, in which case I will be livid.

I will not use her again and will not recommend her.

Thanks everyone for your replies, they have helped me put things in perspective.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:45 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
I'm buying a house for the first time. I have cash. My realtor showed me several and I found one I wanted, put an offer on it, offer was accepted. Then on closing day issues arose regarding the guardianship the house was in. Basically, the sellers didn't have all their ducks in a row and have had to go back to court, put it up for bids, etc., although at this point someone would have to come in and bid more than my offer for me to lose it. All this is beginning to stretch out. It's been a month or so. I need a house to be near my son's school and there are other issues (not about the house itself), but I needed to be in a different house weeks ago. Now I don't know if I really want that house, all this has sort of ruined it for me. I have the money, I've done everything I'm supposed to do, and the realtor has done everything she can do for now.

So I told her the other day how I felt and that I wanted to look at other houses, mainly to be further along in the case someone outbids me on this house. The realtor's husband is an old acquaintance of mine (yes, I know, I shouldn't have done that), and when he found out I asked to see other houses, he told me rather rudely that it was unethical for her to show me another house while under contract for this one. I felt like he was sort of strong-arming me continuing the path I'm on. I'm peeved that he butted in. He is "in training" to be a realtor. I am under contract to the realty company, but I've signed nothing on the house. The contract with the realty company is up in 2 weeks and if I don't have a house I'm going to be up the creek and really mad.

Is it unethical for her to show me more houses? I'm out of patience.
You always have the right to look at other houses. How does he not know that you want to buy 100 homes, it's none of his business and he seems to be looking out for himself for whatever reason and doesn't have your best interest at heart. Tell him this, don't let him walk over you.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:57 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,737,453 times
Maybe I missed it but why would you be upset with her? It was her husband who upset you and he's not even an agent. I think it would be appropriate for you to tell her that she has an ethical obligation to keep your conversations confidential and that includes her husband. If she is unwilling to work that way, tell her to release you from your buyer-broker agreement, assuming that you've signed one. Just understand that she is your agent for your current contract no matter what else transpires.

You are under contract so obviously you signed something. That binds you to the sellers for that additional two week period and either you will close by then or you will be out of contract. If you walk away now, you could lose your deposit. If you are considering this, I suggest you consult with an attorney first. I can't see any reason why it would be unethical to look at backup properties in the meantime. In fact, it seems like a prudent plan, in my opinion. If you can get a seller to agree to it, you could theoretically write a contract that is contingent on the first deal not closing by the closing date.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:51 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,071,862 times
You have a Contract which now has the balance of a two week contingency. That is the only responsibility which you have to that seller.

You can certainly look at other properties, and if agreeable to the seller, you can enter into a contingency (I will buy YOUR house if this other deal falls apart in two weeks time sort of thing) contract with them. They might not go for it, but certainly you can try.

Good luck. It isn't about the realtor, or her husband, or the seller of the first property. It is about YOU. You drive the process--especially because you have $$$ in hand and are ready to go!

Old 03-12-2015, 07:14 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,492 times
The husband was probably saying that because he didnt want his wife to have to do any more work. its a win for her if this one comes through because she will collect and be on her merry way. Its perfectly "ethical" for you to continue shopping the market. What you cant do is put an offer on another home with yours still sitting out there for the next two weeks. Youre the boss here. I wouldnt have even extended the offer if I were you since youre the one on a strict timeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate