Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 08:59 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times

Advertisements

When I bought my last few houses, the appraiser/suveyor/realtor measured them the same. (FL & NC) He measured the outside walls then measured each room, including closets/laundry rooms. He noted the overall square footage and liveable square footage.

How were yours measured personally when you purchased or was purchasing your home? ? Also here it's all about price per Sq ft too so it's important to be accurate here and in FL.

Edited to add: I'm talking about personal experiences, not general experiences.

Last edited by momtothree; 03-18-2015 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 09:15 AM

480 posts, read 1,183,935 times
Overall square footage -- Builder plans & specs. Frequently includes anything under-roof and/or basement areas.

Gross Livable Area -- County Assessor. Frequently includes enclosed patios, permitted garage enclosures, basements, and anything else that provides a basis of valuation for tax purposes.

Gross Living Area -- Appraisers. Calculations of above grade finished areas using exterior dimensions (with exceptions) in accordance with either ANSI or AMS standards of measure. Fannie Mae also has some input on measuring for mortgages going to the secondary market.

There is another active thread on this topic that talks to discrepancies in measurements but the details of what is considered an "accurate" measure are contained in that thread: Square Footage Discrepancies....

Old 03-18-2015, 09:49 AM

That's why I did this thread, I understand all the official methods but if you yourself saw what was being measured, how was it done?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
That's why I did this thread, I understand all the official methods but if you yourself saw what was being measured, how was it done?
I thought TD nailed it with his explanation above ?

All I can add is ....

with a tape measure

Old 03-18-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I thought TD nailed it with his explanation above ?

All I can add is ....

with a tape measure
Well according to various threads, some people never had their place measured or their appraisers/realtors just used one of the things suggested in TD'S post. Or some did measure but had differences.

I was really surprised that there's such a huge difference in measurements as in my experience is always had been verified.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:05 AM

OK, I guess I'm dense but I'm not sure what you mean by "how was it done".

Equipment-wise, I personally use a hand held laser device and a 100 foot measuring tape on a reel and round to the nearest 1/10th of a foot.

The "what" is in the reference mentioned above.

The "how" (I guess) is referring to the technique used and that is really up to whomever is holding the laser or measuring tape.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDillo View Post
OK, I guess I'm dense but I'm not sure what you mean by "how was it done".

Equipment-wise, I personally use a hand held laser device and a 100 foot measuring tape on a reel and round to the nearest 1/10th of a foot.

The "what" is in the reference mentioned above.

The "how" (I guess) is referring to the technique used and that is really up to whomever is holding the laser or measuring tape.
I explained it in the above post. I was talking about actual personal experiences. Not general ones.

Seriously regretting starting this thread..

Old 03-18-2015, 10:14 AM

Can I just add two important thoughts to this thread?

1. There is no OFFICIAL standard for measuring a house. Even the national builder associations cannot agree on ONE standard. That's why I mentioned the two most widely accepted standards, AMS and ANSI. This contributes to the inconsistencies in square footage estimates in builder's plans & specs for Finished Living Area.

2. These measurements are only ESTIMATES of the square footage. As mentioned in post #2 above, there are multiple definitions of "square footage", depending upon the subject being measured and the perspective of the intended user of the measurement. For those in the mortgage lending arena, they default to the Fannie Mae requirements for Gross Living Area (above grade, finished, heated & cooled, etc.). Real Estate professionals use whatever is the most authoritative source available to them, most likely the County Assessor records which, from my experience, are notoriously inaccurate.

How can this NOT be confusing when everybody uses the term "square footage" and it can mean so many different things?

Old 03-18-2015, 10:49 AM

341 posts, read 302,725 times
Just wanted to add a personal experience of how measurements can get botched up right from the get go. I had hired a surveyor to measure my land and place down markers. He's the same one who drew up the plots and submitted the builder's drawings with homes and square footage to the town. He would survey the plots lines before the development goes up then he measures again once everything is up to confirm everything is ok. He told me the builder in my development did a pretty good job. He's had builders add to homes, move foundations, build bigger foundations, you name it - without telling him or the town. So, the town documentation could easily be different from what is actually there for years.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Well according to various threads, some people never had their place measured
or their appraisers/realtors just used one of the things suggested in TD'S post.
Or some did measure but had differences.

I was really surprised that there's such a huge difference in measurements
as in my experience is always had been verified.
In most instances true exactness doesn't really matter at the initial view.
In most instances their inspection and the site survey will include yet another
go at the measuring process.

In most instances buyers can look at a structure and "see" that it's about 30' x about 25' and with two levels
or about 50' x about 30' and do the math involved. They can see that each should comes out close to 1500sf

Unless the listing is grossly out of order, like when finished basements get included in GLA
calling that 30x25 rancher 3000sf (instead of the 1500 it actually is)... then they're done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate