Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

In most HOAs the violations would be the responsibility of the owner, not the renter, to fix even if the renter caused them. If the Board is not going after non-owner occupied violations then it's failing in one of its main duties.

Even bank owned properties that are unoccupied fall under this. A municipality may contact a renter first to fix an issue (high grass or whatever) but the ultimate hammer falls on the owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 PM

487 posts, read 1,358,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
There are decent HOA's and there are some real bad ones.
There are some real bad HOA's and there are some that haven't gone bad YET.

There I fixed it for you.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post

That's like saying their are neighbors with junk cars on the lawn and there are some that haven't put them there yet.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 PM

30 posts, read 82,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
they're just coming after the people they know ... care that they may get fined/sued.
What do you expect from the thugs in suits? Mandatory Associations Foreclosing in America = M.A.F.i.A.

They use the court system to terrorize homeowners and threaten to take the one place that's sanctified in our constitution to be protected from predatory foreclosure over trivial "debts": The Homestead.

HOA debts are trivial and, like any non-profit corporation in the USA, they must operate on gifts, not coercion.

The threat of foreclosure is coercive, and it's become a weapon of extortion racketeering and financial terrorism played on a grand scale. It's bad...it's nation wide.

These thugs have terrorized more Texans than Santa Anna. Remember San Jacinto?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
That's like saying their are neighbors with junk cars on the lawn and there are some that haven't put them there yet.

No. Its not like saying that.

An HOA has the power to control your use of your property.
An HOA can levy fees and special assessments.
An HOA can take you to court and with 99% probability of winning.
An HOA can foreclose on your home.
An HOA can misappropriate your dues which is equivalent to steeling your money.

Your Neighbor working on his car in the driveway is not even in the same league as the evil and misery that an HOA can rain down on you when they go bad.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:04 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:

Your Neighbor working on his car in the driveway is not even in the same league as the evil and misery that an HOA can rain down on you when they go bad.
You clearly missed the point of the comment. Your take is that every HOA is either bad right now or is going to go bad. You can say the exact same thing about neighbors and the reason some people want to live in an HOA to begin with.

I was not attempting to comare the severity of what an HOA can do vs. what a neighbor can do.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:10 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:

We've lived in our neighborhood for over 20 years and haven't felt 'put upon' by the HOA. In fact, they *did* help get our lazy neighbors off their arse a few times.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You clearly missed the point of the comment. Your take is that every HOA is either bad right now or is going to go bad. You can say the exact same thing about neighbors and the reason some people want to live in an HOA to begin with.

I was not attempting to comare the severity of what an HOA can do vs. what a neighbor can do.

Oh...
Well then.....
Never mind.

(spoken in the voice of the church lady)

Old 03-08-2011, 05:11 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
we've lived in our neighborhood for over 20 years and haven't felt 'put upon' yet by the hoa. .
Fixed it

Old 03-09-2011, 03:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:

A municipality has the power to control your use of your property.
A municipality can levy fees and special assessments.
A municipality can take you to court and with 99% probability of winning.
A municipality can foreclose on your home.
*A municipality can misappropriate your dues which is equivalent to steeling your money.

* Unlike a municipality, an HOA can and should have adequate fidelity insurance. It's the law in some states such as my own. I wish my state carried fidelity insurance for misappropriation of state funds. All things considered in my state, I can't imagine who would underwrite this exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate