Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:31 AM

8 posts, read 32,822 times

Advertisements

If this is posted in the wrong section, please feel free to move it or let me know and I will move it.

Here is my scenario, I currently work at a large container moving and storage company. We just got bought out by a company based out of Bahrain. I wasn't thrilled about the buy out, and it isn't looking great for the future of my current position. I work in the Logistics department and in the past we have manually done our jobs, and now there is talk of creating an optimization program that will essentially do the job for me. This week, they just said that we are no longer allowed to work on weekends (i have been working pretty much 60 hrs a week, for the last 3 years) and that will hurt my salary due to lack of overtime...... This is tough because we just had our first child 3 months ago, and the wife is trying her hardest to stay at home to raise our daughter Bevin.

I am 31 years old, and when I was about 23 I worked at a golf course in the bag room. While employed there, my favorite member to talk to asked me to get my Salespersons license and to come work for him. He has an office on the beach, and deals mostly with waterfront condos. He is a very good man, but at that time in my life I was more interested in pursuing a golf career.

Now, 7 years later, and in a downward spiraling market, I am eager to make a career move. After my daughter was born and I realized that we are going to have much trouble keeping up with my mortgage payment on just my salary, I got nervous and thought about my options. I had always regretted not going to work for the gentleman that was so generous to groom me in a career in RE, so I gave him a call!

He was very excited to hear from me, and understood why I did what I did in the past. He told me that he has cut back his staff completely, and that it's hard times right now, but told me that I should go get my license. I am in the application process with the DRE here in Florida right now, and awaiting approval from them to take my state test. There is a few snags that are going to be tough for me.

1.) I still have a full time job and can not afford to dive right into the new career. I can however, work at the office on the beach on the w/e's and help with their seasonal rentals/leases and draw a small comission from them while I wait to maybe get my 1st listing/sales comission, but it's not going to be easy to manage my time with an already full time job.

2.) I have no prior experience in the field, other than buying/ selling my own homes. (I am on my 2nd home, and although I bought at a bad time, the deal wasn't too bad.)

3.) (And this is MAJOR) The guy that is teaching me was diagnosed with a brain tumor a couple years ago, and he is not doing too good. He has very limited energy and has already endured a major surgery, of which didn't cure his ailment. He is the kindest, most generous person I know, and I am not sure what to do if he passes on. I really don't have a clue if there is another office that will give me a chance at learning in such a tough market?

So I am wondering if there are any forum members that can give me advice, or share with me some of the hardships they went through when getting started, and how they overcame them. Thanks for reading and I am very impressed with the information that is on this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 11:42 AM

506 posts, read 2,280,119 times
Default This Is A Very Bad Time To

Be A Newbie...........especially In Florida.....not To Discourage You But I Would Go Find A Different Part-time Job That Is Actually Going To Pay You. If You Are Going To Have Problems With Your Mortgage ., This Is Not The Job For You.......you Need A Steady Income. And Real Estate Sales Is No Where Close To Steady..............good Luck

Old 01-17-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post
Be A Newbie...........especially In Florida.....not To Discourage You But I Would Go Find A Different Part-time Job That Is Actually Going To Pay You. If You Are Going To Have Problems With Your Mortgage ., This Is Not The Job For You.......you Need A Steady Income. And Real Estate Sales Is No Where Close To Steady..............good Luck

Thanks for the response. I understand that it will be tough, and I am really not doing it to try and have a part time job (I should have been more clear). I am doing it on the w/e's to learn. I will keep my full time job until I can transition into doing RE as a career. I am willing to grind for a couple/few years if thats what it takes. I am just wondering how much I can learn by just being in the office on the w/e's only? I am very dedicated into making this dream of mine come true. Just looking for advice on the transistioning process mostly.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:55 AM

Default fIND SOMETHING ELSE BAD TIMING........

YOU ALSO STATED THAT YOU NEED EXTRA INCOME TO PAY YOUR MORTGAGE...THAT IS WHY I SAID YOU MIGHT BE BETTER OFF TO FIND A PART-TIME JOB INSTEAD....I WOULD WAIT UNTIL THE MARKET TURNS IN FLORIDA TO START A NEW CAREER I THINK 2-5 YEARS FOR FLORIDA

Old 01-17-2008, 11:57 AM

422 posts, read 1,366,342 times
What about starting out in New Home Sales? I am not sure about the Flordia market, but the majority of New Home Builders pay a draw until you start closing homes...

I know there is a few builders out there who even pay a decent salary, and then give bonus when you sell a home.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:07 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Real Estate is a tough field; however, there are many part time agents, and in your particular situation you just might be able to push through - and here's why.

You have someone who is established long term in the business & who may not be able to continue full time, but may be open to giving you referrals. You will need a mentor. If you work part time and he can supply you with a few quality leads there will be more work than you think you can handle. (Most people think there is little work involved - you will not think this for long)

Many offices will have training etc. to teach you the biz, as well as a multitude of classes you can take; however, none of this can really prepare you for working with the publics trust on the most important financial decision any person or entity will make - the purchase of Real Estate. That's something you have to go out and do, and it's also when you'll begin to learn.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:23 PM

1 St He Has 0 Experience So How Is He Going To Get A Job Selling New Homes????
2 Nd He Also Stated That He Is Having Financial Problems With His Mortgage.
3 Rd Florida Is Probably One Of The Worst Markets On The Whole East Coast.
4 Th His New Boss Has Already Stated That He Has Already Let Go Of Most Pf His Experienced Help... Hence No Work In Florida Find A Better Part-time Job I Am Only Trying To Give You The Best Advice

Old 01-17-2008, 12:41 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,739 times
Default I have to agree

Sorry, I'm in RE here in FL. and I would not encourage anyone new to jump in at this time, given our market conditions.
I would encourage you to try your best to get your license. You can leave it inactive once you have it, just be sure to take your post-licensing course immediately after you pass the State exam. Then keep up your 14 hrs continuing ED, this way when the market turns again, which it will, you'll have a valid license.
Until that time comes, find a "REAL" part-time job, so you don't run into financial problems you'd regret. Try your best, from this time forward, to save enough money to live on for 6 months or more.
Congratulations, you'll be ready to come on board real estate sales.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Thanks you for the responses! I appreciate all of the advice given. Maybe I wasn't very clear in the initial post, but I do have a full time job currently, that should be sufficient to cover my expenses along with my wife working part time eventually. I am not doing this for a 2nd income, but rather a possibility at a new career in the future.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:30 PM

422 posts, read 1,366,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post
1 St He Has 0 Experience So How Is He Going To Get A Job Selling New Homes????
A lot of Sales Managers like to hire Sales Agents with no experience. They call it "Naive Enthusiasm". In fact, half of my team is inexperienced.

And like I said in my last post... there are a lot of builders that paying salaries rather then commissions. It is not all commission based. Some start off as associates and assistants. Not only that, but you usually have about 2 to 3 months training. Paid training.

Last edited by NewBeginnings12; 01-17-2008 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate