Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 03:38 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
That's the color of my toilet water after a bad meal......
First time anybody truly hurts my feelings on the internet
I thought I was a genius because I finally found a color to paint my walls that wasn't white
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 03:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Why?

What's wrong with a nice, clean, right angle between wall and ceiling? Why screw it up with a useless piece of gingerbread trim?
It has a cleaner look. Homes without it look as if they are not finished yet. Everything is preference if you ask me. If you don't prefer it then don't get it. I like it myself. Everything is in the details. Look at the window treatment in the picture. You don't need extra but many windows have that little extra in and around the window treatments My home included. Our living room, dining room, kitchen, bedroom, and our daughters bedroom has that type of covering above the blinds and it makes it look good. Additional features help to set it off and make the look pop a bit. I am betting a fireplace mantle is useless as well. It does nothing to make the wood burn any hotter. Most people like to have a mantle and decorative side molding running down the length of the fireplace. My wife wants me to cover the brick with some polished stone, marble, or something. The fireplace will work the same without it but it looks nicer when it is done.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:29 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
What's wrong with a nice, clean, right angle between wall and ceiling? Why screw it up with a useless piece of gingerbread trim?
Trim that needs to be painted every 10 years. No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I laughed when I read the title of this post! LOL. A decorator whose blog I follow has another name for this color family....peanut butter! Ever since I read that, I always think of PB when I see this color.

Around here (and on most home makeover shows), everything is gray, gray, GRAY! Talk about depressing. the mustard/ochre/gold/peanut putter/baby poop brown colors were all the rage about 15 years ago. Guess that's the last time some people painted.
Grey is the new caramel. LOL

I had a nice house with rooms painted in green, beige, linen, off-white, and pale aqua (not all in the same room!). The new owner painted every. single. room. that caramel color, and painted every. single. square. inch. of very well-maintained pine molding stark white.

I wanted to cry when I saw what he'd done. I guess if he were buying the house from me now, he'd paint every room grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Everything is preference if you ask me. If you don't prefer it then don't get it. I like it myself.
So ... the room only "needs" crown molding if it's your room, then.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:32 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,008 times
My kitchens color is close but I would describe it as Guldens yellow mustard.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:40 PM

72 posts, read 148,842 times
I agree, soiled diaper is what we call it. Almost every house in my area is painted this color. I repainted 3000 sq ft of this crap, literally, to various greens, grays, and pale blues. It's funny, people either adore caramel or recoil in horror. It's a pain to cover, had to use Kilz everywhere. Oh yeah, house was 2002 build, height of the molten turd color popularity. Blech. I'd take white any day.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:12 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
I've seen that around quite a bit, recently. Horrible. I am guessing that they are HGTV inspired.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:38 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times
Navaho White. Worst color ever. But that's OK it looks good on you.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:19 PM

760 posts, read 769,144 times
Quote:

Ugh, why would anyone want DARK brown walls in a room is beyond me, there's some houses here for sale that I saw on the web, they have some crazy garish paint colors on the bedroom and other room walls, lime green, purple,dark blue, one even has dark metallic looking splotchy walls with gloss black trim and doors!

Some samples;

dark green in a room that's already dark?

ugh... there's no other words

maybe a nice color for a tractor but a bedroom wall?

why does this look like a nightmare out of the 60s or an expensive bordello?

Here's the rear of a building I purchased in 2012 that had been used for an insurance office for years, dark seasick green paint in a rear space that had no windows??? you really have to wonder what people are thinking.

I repainted, took down a partition wall that was behind where I was shooting the photo from that had totally shut this area off from any external light, it was all fluorescent lamps. Up above the balcony there was a window that had been boarded over, it's since been replaced with a new double hung window/

Up near the front during renovating, after repainting the walls and tin ceiling, I used a pale ivory yellow flat wall paint, gave the cornice a Wedgewood green accent color, and the ceiling flat white. The fluorescents went bye bye and chandeliers similar to the one shown put in;

Last edited by Sculptor; 07-01-2015 at 07:39 PM..

Old 07-01-2015, 08:02 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,083,136 times
Dark colors work well as accent walls, hence, everything else has to be brighter/lighter, ie, floors, area rugs, furniture, cabinets. Don't like dark homes/rooms.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:06 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Why in the world would anyone not only give a Fig Newton but think s/he has the right to tell someone else what color to paint the walls? Very strange, indeed.

But thanks for the laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate