Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:34 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just this morning I had to wait 20 minutes crossing from the parking garage to the office, while the long train went by, then just before it ended, another came the other direction for 10 minutes. That is bad enough, but my first apartment years ago was about 600' from the tracks. When the train went by at night, the vibration always set off the alarm at the gas station nearby and woke me up.
I'm too old for that now. Even a passenger train can be noisy, besides the engine, the wheels squeal.
It seems like 10 minutes but I bet it was actually 2 or 3. I've counted freight trains with 180 cars and it took less than 1 a second to pass by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 06:38 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
In our area, a town near Raleigh NC, the trains that run on diesel need to leave the engines running all night when they are 'parked' at the station during the cold months (but they actually tend to do it all year long). If this is the case for you it might add some additional background noise that you won't like.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:55 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
We once spent three months in the KOA campground near Spokane, Washington. It is located right next (as in within 100 feet) from the Burlington Northern main line, and 500 feet or so from a crossing.
There was no "commuter train", but there were a LOT of freight trains and the Empire Builder twice a day. It is, after all, the main line between Seattle and Chicago!
By the end of the first month, we didn't notice the trains. If we woke up at all, it was to think "Oh, yeah, train..." and go back to sleep. My wife worked nights, and slept during the day, and the trains did not bother her.
When my son lived in California, his house was about two hundred yards from the main North-South rail line. LOTS of AMTRAK trains, and lots of freight. He got used to it to the point where he barely noticed it. So did we, when we visited.
If the house was what we wanted, the presence of a rail line or airport would not be a deal breaker, IMO.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:35 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,249,611 times
I would avoid it. Most people don't want to be woken up at night by the midnight train. The low frequency rumble will rattle your teeth.

My old boss had a tiny house next to train tracks in a neighborhood of million dollar homes he claimed to not notice the noise after a while but the increased dust from the diesel train as well as the low frequency vibration is more than likely not good for your health in the long term.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:09 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
I would not buy it unless it was at a huge markdown and I intended to use it as a rental property where I could lower the rent enough to get people in. Then I'd consider doing it and soundproofing the house as well as possible.

Zero chance I would agree to live there. I sleep with windows open in the blissfully cool mountains.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:30 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
If it is close to the station, you'll also hear the starts and stops which you really, really, need to hear before deciding. I have lived by the tracks like this and hated it. The first time I heard it stop, I thought someone had hit the house with their truck. Noise leads to tension that you don't realize you are experiencing also.

If you plan to use the train, I still don't think it would be worth it.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:59 AM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times
If it's close to the station, what's the parking situation? Are commuters parking their cars on your street? Is it posted no parking? If so, can you and your guests live with no parking on the street?

Old 07-25-2015, 09:10 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
i got a track three miles away, I can hear the train on the track, no horns, inside my house. it will wake me up at night. Its not a big deal but when it quiet at night, sound travels.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:43 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
If it's close to the station, what's the parking situation? Are commuters parking their cars on your street? Is it posted no parking? If so, can you and your guests live with no parking on the street?
It's a really interesting set up.... Don't know why I didn't think to put up a pic before but here it is. You actually have to drive through the parking lot to get to a driveway that leads you to this house and a few other houses. Commuters wouldn't be parking their cars on my lot, and there is definitely enough space on the lot for guests. It seemed like a big plus because at most stations in this area, a parking pass will cost a few hundred up to $1k a year and is only available to residents of the town the station is in.
Attached Thumbnails
House in close proximity to railroad crossing - worth it?-screen-shot-2015-07-25-8.37.32  

Old 07-25-2015, 09:50 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
So long as the noise of the train, coming and going, the cars coming and going with doors slamming and people you know trying to get you to let them park on your lot, it might work. You will have a lot more dust in the area but maybe that isn't a problem. You sort of see that there are just a lot of things that only you can decide.

I would probably try to see how many times this house has been bought and sold to get an idea if the location was a problem for previous owners and also how long it sat on the market before being purchased to give you an idea of what others were feeling about the house.

For me, I would be concerned about who might come up to my house from the parking lot but maybe crime isn't a problem in that area.

Only you can make a decision and an informed one will make it the right one. Do your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate