Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:44 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times

Advertisements

I've seen the TV shows, darling little places but to live there, I don't think I would want to.
The people seem so happy with their choice, that's good...but I wonder if after a while any
one decided it was too small and moved.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 07:22 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Define "tiny".

If you're calling a small home, under 1000 sq feet "tiny", then I can say that our 850 sq ft house really is too small. It's too small for 2 people who do a lot of animal rescue. Was it too small when it was just the two of us and 2 cats? yes...but. it was doable, although I still really long for a bedroom where I can have a dresser rather than using one of the tiny bedrooms as our "dressing room" instead of a guest room. And we just got finished enlarging the bathroom, taking space out of the 3rd bedroom to do this.

IF we hadn't fallen in love with the property - after spending 3 years looking for just this type of property/location, then maybe I would have held out for more house, but the house will do because the land and its siting is perfect and that was #1 priority.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:59 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
Sorry, NY Annie, I should have been more clear....I meant the ones that were 300sq ft to maybe 500 sq ft,
the smaller ones they show...the house I grew up in was a 950sq ft 3bd 1bath. We didn't think it was small.
Now I'm reading any house under 2000 sq ft is small..

Old 08-01-2015, 09:02 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
it is more about floor plan and how you furnish it than it is the sq. ft. lots of bigger houses don't flow and are not as functional if the floor plan is wrong. a great floor plan no matter the size is the key imo

Old 08-02-2015, 04:50 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
I lived in a travel trailer and then on a sailboat for several years .

It worked fine. Affordable. Fun. I will likely end my years in a tiny home in an assisted living facility.

If I bought a tiny house and regretted it, I'd sell it. Many people change homes a number of times over their lives.

I've toured a tiny home and watched several shows about them. The sofas (usually cushions on storage benches) are uncomfortable. Hunching down in those loft beds ia uncomfortable. Lots of raving about full size bathrooms, but few have tubs.

Not sure what the advantage is to paying thousands for an uncomfortable home when more comfortable trailers are available at more affordable prices.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:32 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
19 Foolproof Ways To Make A Small Space Feel So Much Bigger

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicaprobu...ger#.cwXXodWQP

Old 08-02-2015, 08:01 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
19 Foolproof Ways To Make A Small Space Feel So Much Bigger

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicaprobu...ger#.cwXXodWQP
The link is an interesting read but there is a difference between making a place feel/look bigger and actually creating more useable space. A storage ottoman was the only thing on their list that actually creates space...

I've lived in all sorts of places - we had a 700 sq foot rental in Japan. It was ok for the three years we were there but we rented a older, uglier place when we got back just because it was much bigger (2400 sq floor condo). Rented there a while then downsized again, moved back up in square feet once I had my daughter....

Most of the people I see profiled in the tiny space documentaries - they are mostly single, and without kids. And I think that tiny houses are a great concept but most of them seem to still take up a lot of space. A charming tiny house parked in the midst of a beautiful meadow or forest is more glamous than a trailer in the middle of a trailer park even though they are kinda the same concept.

I know once my daughter came along - we needed/wanted more space. Yes, a lot of baby stuff was nice to have vs. have to have. Her crib, my glider, her toys, highchair all took up a fair amount of floor space. Her dishes, bottles, etc all took up a cabinet.

I did realize that living in a really small place (when we were in Japan) really helped budget wise because I had to think about where something would go if I purchased it or what I have to get rid of to make room for the new item

Old 02-15-2017, 11:37 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,582 times
i loved my tiny house it had everything that i wanted full sized fridge convection microwave dishwasher i upgraded it with a garbage disposal and a higher end dishwasher and ceiling fans i also had it fitted for geo thermal and also had it fitted for 20 kw of wind and solar and heated floors along with a few other things. do i regret doing it no i don't i loved my tiny house!!!
i would buy another tiny house over a condo or a townhouse or anything with an hoa or convents!!!

now i would not buy something like a tumbleweed a pine box on wheels

the company i used was WHEELHAUS very high end

Old 02-16-2017, 03:49 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
i would buy another tiny house over a condo or a townhouse or anything with an hoa or convents!!!
I never saw a condo that came with nuns.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:01 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I never saw a condo that came with nuns.
Only if the condo is part of a HOA....

(Habit Owners Association )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate