Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:40 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Levittown is a suburb, 45 minutes away from Manhattan. Prices are lower there than they are in the city. Try comparing prices to a suburb 45 minutes away from Seattle, and I'm quite certain the prices will not be twice as much as they are in Levittown.

Kent, WA 3 Bed 2 Bath Homes for Sale | Trulia
The schools in Kent aren't comparable to Levittown NY. Kent is cheap because the schools are among the worst in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 01:46 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
The schools in Kent aren't comparable to Levittown NY. Kent is cheap because the schools are among the worst in the area.
Levittown NY schools are just average among all Long Island schools.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:15 AM

174 posts, read 124,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Levittown NY schools are just average among all Long Island schools.
I think they're pretty good. From my experiences, the worst schools in the tri-state area are much better than a good chunk of the country.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:47 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
So pick a suburb a comparable distance from the city that has good schools, I don't know Seattle well enough to know. I still believe it will be less than Levittown or at most about the same price, not twice as expensive.

As for quality of schools, this looks like a reasonable ranking IMO

Long Island High School Rankings 2014

MacArthur is a little above average, Division is slightly lower. Island Trees is a different district but also covers part of Levittown, and that's about average. But it's true that average for Long Island is probably above average for most places.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:48 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Long Island has unusually good schools (really all of the tri-state metro area has unusually good schools). So, yeah, Levittown schools are average for NYC suburb standards but that probably makes them well above average for national standards.

That's, in part, why property taxes are so high in NYC suburbs. They're spending more on schools than anywhere else in the country. I believe NY, NJ and CT are #1, #2, and #3 in per student spending.

My sister lived in both NY suburbs and CA suburbs, and, she found a tremendous difference (and she was in one of the best districts in CA). There are big differences in class size, technology, teacher pay, and the like. CA is a wonderful state but the public schools suck if you're coming from somewhere like Long Island (and don't get me started on Florida schools, which are worse than CA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate