Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 08:27 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,524,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I'm solid with a hammer. Just don't ask me to drywall.

I have a huge respect for those that tape and texturize drywall after trying to do it myself. It is so much harder than you would think it would be to make it look good.
LOL! Me too. I've done drywall but hated every minute of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 05:35 PM

8 posts, read 10,171 times
Since technically a buyer doesn't pay an agent...it would be stupid not to have one...builder reps are responsible to the builder not the buyer...if you have bought and sold a homes before..probably do not need one...but if new or kind of new to buying a home...take an agent with...they should be watching out for your best interest..not the builders

Old 10-25-2015, 07:03 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,119,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codywaddoups View Post
Since technically a buyer doesn't pay an agent...it would be stupid not to have one...builder reps are responsible to the builder not the buyer...if you have bought and sold a homes before..probably do not need one...but if new or kind of new to buying a home...take an agent with...they should be watching out for your best interest..not the builders
Technically the buyer may not be paying but actually the buyer is always the one who pays. A builder who deals through agents builds that cost into his price (just like impact fees, connection fees, etc). So if there isn't an agent in the process he should be able to sell for a lower price.

We recently started the process of building a house. One builder was referred to us by a real estate agent. That builder admitted that there was a referral fee that he would have to pay and that his price would include that. I provided the same plans to all the builders (4 total) and got proposals from all. Two were very close, one was way high, and one responded with a message that they felt they wouldn't be competitive and wished us luck. It was the one that had been 'reffered' by the agent that begged off. (I don't think they could have been higher than the third builder :-))

All of our builders were local. One was a builder that mainly does developments but does some custom homes. So it may be different if you are dealling with a builder who is developing an entire tract. I think of that as more like dealing with a car dealer :-)

Old 10-25-2015, 07:13 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,994,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I'm involved in most of my clients builds. It just depends on how comfortable you are with construction and such. Some people don't need agents, some do. It's like any kind of real estate transaction. Experience and comfort with the process matter.

The thing about being an agent is that we are in and out of homes all day long. I've also seen which builders homes stand up over time. I've seen some amazing custom touches over the course of time, and I've made many suggestions to my clients over the years as we go over the floor plan. They have always found my suggestions helpful. So what I contribute to my clients is a lot of experience about how to customize their homes to their needs without making it unsellable in the future. I've seen many horrendous custom floor plans over the years that make it difficult to sell those homes. My job is to try and help my clients get what they want without creating a bad real estate product. So that is what I contribute.
Agreed. A buyer's realtor works for you: a builder works for himself. I'm a suspicious sort, and just because a builder builds your home doesn't mean it's premium quality. It doesn't mean it's bad either, just that you need people who represent your needs. BTW, you should have the house inspected. Every home has issues, even if they are brand spanking new. Some builders are in such a rush to put up the next home that they don't take the time necessary time to build their homes safely or with the appropriate materials.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:10 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,920,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Agreed. A buyer's realtor works for you: a builder works for himself. I'm a suspicious sort, and just because a builder builds your home doesn't mean it's premium quality. It doesn't mean it's bad either, just that you need people who represent your needs. BTW, you should have the house inspected. Every home has issues, even if they are brand spanking new. Some builders are in such a rush to put up the next home that they don't take the time necessary time to build their homes safely or with the appropriate materials.
to the inspection. I'll tell you what happened to us.

We had the inspector come in pre-drywall and back again just before closing. At the pre-drywall inspection, he noticed that one of the trusses had been damaged and repaired. The repair actually made the truss stronger, he explained, so that was not the problem. The problem was that it needed to be inspected and approved by the city building inspectors, and we needed documentation of that. Why? because when we go to sell the house, the buyer's inspector is going to see the truss and ask for proof that it was inspected and approved.

Heck, we didn't even see the broken truss, let alone know that it needed a special approval process. This one thing paid for the entire inspection in avoiding a hassle years down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate