Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:53 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,282,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameo2491 View Post
I am flabbergasted at the negative reactions to OP's posting, and all the snide criticism of the supposed "smugness', "superiority", and "condescension" some of you construed were so evident. I stopped reading at a post taking OP to task for an attitude that that poster tied to OP's not being a true American due to ESL as a 2nd language, or some such nonsense. Where do you people get ideas like these? Sounds like the attitudes supporters of a certain political party I know of.

The posts I did read were obviously by people who have had no experience of the realities of life when you're behind the 8-ball, whether in their own lives or those of people they are close to, whether due to bad choices or through no fault of their own. To me, that was the core of the OP's posting. I do not get any overtones of the crap you critics are so quick to yell about. If you are one of these posters, and you want to see "smug" and "condescending", go stand in front of a mirror.

I was in total agreement with the OP until she got to the landlord yelling. My first thought was, 'you witnessed this firsthand and just stood there?'

I would think any rational person would think the same thing.

That's not a negative reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 10:59 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,121,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I was in total agreement with the OP until she got to the landlord yelling. My first thought was, 'you witnessed this firsthand and just stood there?'

I would think any rational person would think the same thing.

That's not a negative reaction.
As I have said many times. Reacting emotionally never helps. The smartest thing to do in any situation is weigh the pros and cons. Be strategic about it.

But don't let me stop you from giving me your address and take in that couple. As soon as I get your address, I will go straight to that LL and tell him off. Then I will send that couple to your place. I'll pay for the plane tickets if I have to.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
As I have said many times. Reacting emotionally never helps. The smartest thing to do in any situation is weigh the pros and cons. Be strategic about it.

But don't let me stop you from giving me your address and take in that couple. As soon as I get your address, I will go straight to that LL and tell him off. Then I will send that couple to your place. I'll pay for the plane tickets if I have to.

^^^^ That's not an emotional reaction at all.....

Old 10-21-2015, 11:44 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,121,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
^^^^ That's not an emotional reaction at all.....
Ok, then show us how righteous you are. Give me your address. If you are far away, I will pay for the plane tickets. I'm sure you have the extra room to take them in, considering you are a very righteous person.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:26 PM

307 posts, read 477,522 times
This thread is basically summed up by:

OP: "I didn't realize how privileged I am until I saw X."

Comments: "F you and your privilege!"

Really people?

Old 10-21-2015, 01:43 PM

772 posts, read 915,006 times
Quote:
What could I have done? It was the only place they could find that was within the price range.

And that goes back to my original point. Options are limited when you can't afford it.

I wouldn't stand there and let my brother be yelled at, weather he was poor or rich.

I would stop the conversation, and ask the landlord to take a step back and breathe, so we can start over, and all talk to each other with respect.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:07 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,986,002 times
Shenanigans

Old 10-21-2015, 03:20 PM

17 posts, read 16,111 times
Default Why didn't your boyfriend speak up?

He just sat in the car for 20 minutes listening to the landlord cussing his sister out?
He got lucky when he met you and got to move into your house so he doesn't have to deal with this kind of thing, didn't he?

Old 10-21-2015, 03:26 PM

17 posts, read 16,111 times
Default boyfriend lucky his sister NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Let's be sure to add "assumptions" ^^^ to the list of things to be wary of.

My only point, all along, is that despite the self-congratulatory attitude of many here, success is not the reward for virtue with poverty the penalty of vice. A lot of times they both come from luck and circumstance, and the smartest people understand that.
Choices of mates:
Seems like the OP's boyfriend got lucky finding the OP who owns a home to offer...
boyfriend's sister was not so lucky since her boyfriend has a criminal record and bad credit to offer.

Luck and bad choices make a huge difference.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Ok, then show us how righteous you are. Give me your address. If you are far away, I will pay for the plane tickets. I'm sure you have the extra room to take them in, considering you are a very righteous person.
You are very unreasonable. Did it ever occur to you that you could have intervened without escalating this situation. Why do you assume it would only go one way,? It sounds like none of you know how to handle people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate