Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:59 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I always leave a fake name and number. Many people go to open house either to look at their neighbor, something to do on a Sat or Sun and want to get a feel for the prices for an area they plan to move to. When I sell my house there will be NO open houses.
If you aren't interested in buying at all you should have the common courtesy to tell the agent at the Open House that instead of writing down a fake name & number and making them waste their time afterwards trying to follow up with you. You sound like a real winner there!

Also if you do hire a agent to sell your house make sure you tell them upfront there will be no Open Houses either because I would save a lot of time & money not promoting your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 07:06 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCross View Post
One of the reasons that agents hold open houses is to get contact information from prospective buyers. It's also the reason so many of those "buyers" leave phony names and addresses.
Thankfully when we went to open houses we didn't really have anyone call us from leaving our information. Sometimes they did but it was often to see whether or not we had any interest in the property. There was one lady who was definitely a little nuts---she could tell we had an interest in the property and kept calling my husband, asking us if we would buy it (the woman was desperate to sell) and she went on and on about our little kitties and how much they would like it. She was probably a cat lady because she was VERY into the cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I always leave a fake name and number. Many people go to open house either to look at their neighbor, something to do on a Sat or Sun and want to get a feel for the prices for an area they plan to move to. When I sell my house there will be NO open houses.
I guess it depends on your area. By me, open houses often do the trick when trying to sell. The apartment we ended up buying was from us attending an open house. Not even sure that I would have made an appointment to see this place.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:29 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
If you aren't interested in buying at all you should have the common courtesy to tell the agent at the Open House that instead of writing down a fake name & number and making them waste their time afterwards trying to follow up with you. You sound like a real winner there!

Also if you do hire a agent to sell your house make sure you tell them upfront there will be no Open Houses either because I would save a lot of time & money not promoting your house.
Frankly the new idea of putting down my personal information on a piece of paper for a stranger is ridiculous. If I want their help I will contact them.

And if a seller doesn't want an open house that's their choice. If you are saying that means you refuse to do the rest of your job, expect to be fired.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:30 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
This wasn't an open house, but still rather strange...

When my husband and I were looking at houses, our agent made an appointment to see the place (which we worked around because they were trying to move their stuff out).
We arrived on time, the agent unlocks the door and we find one of the owners sleeping on a pallet in the middle of the living room floor! She was apparently there trying to pack stuff and got tired, so she took a nap. When we came in the door, she woke up, apologized a couple of times and moved outside to smoke while we looked at the place. We didn't buy it.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:46 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Different People react differently to different stuff.
It seems excessive to me, but some agents have success getting clients with just all sorts of stuff that is well outside tangential to real estate practice.
If the agent picked up a couple of buyers who thought this was cooool, then the event was a success.
If it works, it works.

HS band and hot dogs just strikes me as downscale and annoying.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:27 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
It'd be cool if they were baking cookies.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:42 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
I found a rare pay phone and wrote down the telephone number and will use that number from now on.

Passive aggressive crap. Why go to all that trouble? The agent is just doing their job. So YOU just say "No, thank you," when asked for the phone number. Or ask for their card so you can contact them later if you have a question. Problem solved. Geez.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:42 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
I have seen this before
My agent told me when she first went to see a house I looked at with her, the owners and family were sitting around smoking in the living room. LOL

Needless to say, the house never sold and was eventually foreclosed on.

You have to wonder how these people were maintaining the house too.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:48 AM

779 posts, read 1,004,035 times
I ask for the agents card, no need to call me. Also, I make the agent work for their commission, come pick me up and drive me to the house!

I been to some interesting open houses in NJ, they were giving away cigars, some good snacks and one was even having a bbq, felt very welcoming for sure.

The dog part is not cool, even though I love them, but what if someone is allergic to dogs?

Old 10-27-2015, 12:23 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
This wasn't an open house, but a showing my husband & I went to that was set up by our realtor. The owner of the house was there, but that doesn't bother me as long as they don't follow us around or try to engage us in conversation or "sell" the house. (that's their agent's job) If someone just hangs out on their back patio while I'm looking, I wouldn't mind.

But in this case, the lady of the house was in the kitchen in her bathrobe cooking bacon! She disappeared from the kitchen and when we went upstairs to see the bedrooms, she was sitting up in her bed, in her robe, working on her laptop and eating from a big plate full of bacon. She was very nice and said "oh, don't bother me, I'm just trying to get some work done!" She wasn't intrusive, but it sure made us feel uncomfortable!

We didn't buy the house, but not because of her. It was because the house was really, REALLY lived in. LIke really dirty walls & doors & door trim; bad stains on the carpet; kids' bedrooms with stuff everywhere and posters all over the walls with thumb-tacks. It was a beautiful home, but WAY too lived-in (literally) to be on the market!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate