Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 01:30 PM

412 posts, read 451,682 times

Advertisements

Curious what the current thinking is regarding prospective buyers photographing the home's interior when viewing the property.

I'm talking about during a formal showing by an agent, not during an open house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 02:40 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
Curious what the current thinking is regarding prospective buyers photographing the home's interior when viewing the property.

I'm talking about during a formal showing by an agent, not during an open house.
I think it is less of an issue with a vacant house but I think it is wrong without getting permission (in writing) first. That's just my opinion, though.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:31 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Permission is highly recommended.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:47 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I don't think permission needs to be in writing, but I had clients who would take 200 pictures of the house from every angle then look them over before writing an offer. They were very analytical and detail oriented. I always let the agent know for second showings that we would be there for an hour taking a bazillion photos, and to let me know if that was an issue for the seller. I like to start potential transactions with respect to the parties involved.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:58 PM

412 posts, read 451,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I don't think permission needs to be in writing, but I had clients who would take 200 pictures of the house from every angle then look them over before writing an offer. They were very analytical and detail oriented. I always let the agent know for second showings that we would be there for an hour taking a bazillion photos, and to let me know if that was an issue for the seller. I like to start potential transactions with respect to the parties involved.
I like that approach.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:18 PM

211 posts, read 451,486 times
You do have to get permission to take photographs of the interior. This comes up often and has been an issue in VA. There is also an issue of the seller filming you without your consent. The rules are more vague on this.

I would always ask the listing agent first.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:12 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
We always asked permission when the house was still occupied. In vacant ones, we just did it (oops?). Photos were important to help us to remember each house since our moves were relocations and we were seeing so many houses it was hard to remember each one. On first walk-throughs we only took a couple, but on second walk-throughs we took a lot more to make sure belongings would fit before making an offer. We never were refused, probably because the sellers knew there was an agent with us. However, as a seller I would think twice about giving permission to a buyer (or alleged buyer) who was not accompanied by a reputable agent.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:36 AM

685 posts, read 719,752 times
I have never heard of asking permission to taking pictures of the inside of a vacant home. We have always done it and the realtors have NEVER brought up an issue about asking the owners if it was ok. We have always looked at tons of homes in one day and it helped a lot to remember which home had a certain thing about it.
What would be the big deal about taking a picture of a vacant room? Do they think people are going to steal a window or something? Or Maybe people think that somebody will photoshop something in the vacant room, put it on the internet and it will tarnish their home somehow. It doesn't make any sense to me.

If the home has stuff in it, then of course you don't take pictures. I don't even want to view houses that owners are still living in. It makes me uncomfortable and I don't ever feel like I'm able to actually see the house like the closets and stuff. I would feel like I'm snooping.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
Cool, yeah come on in and photograph my entire house.......to see if there is an alarm, gun safe, place where it looks like something valuable was sitting but got put away, window locks, clear paths to a back door in case someone shows up anything of value to big to be stashed for a showing etc. great, let me just make it easier by removing my door locks.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:45 PM

685 posts, read 719,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Cool, yeah come on in and photograph my entire house.......to see if there is an alarm, gun safe, place where it looks like something valuable was sitting but got put away, window locks, clear paths to a back door in case someone shows up anything of value to big to be stashed for a showing etc. great, let me just make it easier by removing my door locks.

AWESOME!! Thanks for the permission!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate