Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your HOA Experience? Good? Bad? Indifferent? None?
Our HOA is wonderful, and does a great job maintaining a variety of neighborhood amenities and keeping the neighborhood clean and orderly. 25 22.12%
Our HOA is wonderful, keeping the neighborhood clean and orderly. We don't have many amenities. 9 7.96%
Our HOA really is OK at its job, with few issues. 17 15.04%
We have an HOA, but I don't think about it much. Non-issue. 7 6.19%
Our HOA really protects property values. 8 7.08%
Our HOA needs to be reined in a little but generally is tolerable. 5 4.42%
Our HOA is awful, doesn't do its job. 3 2.65%
Our HOA is awful. Egotistical and unhelpful, continually bothering homeowners. 8 7.08%
Our HOA is awful. Crooked scheming Nazis, the whole lot of them. 3 2.65%
We don't have an HOA, and I wish we did. 0 0%
We don't have an HOA, and I don't really care either way. 5 4.42%
We don't have an HOA, and that was a prominent reason I bought here. 35 30.97%
I have never lived in a neighborhood with an HOA, just because I haven't really considered it. 6 5.31%
I am on the HOA board, or have served on the HOA board. 10 8.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 06:29 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

And, it is Multiple Choice!

Gee. I cannot edit the poll, and I missed this choice:

"You could push hot needles into my eyes, let weasels rip my flesh, and make me a recipient for a hemorrhoid transplant before I would ever buy into a neighborhood with an HOA."

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-09-2016 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 06:32 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Alex, I'll take "Colors that end in urple" for $200

Old 01-09-2016, 06:42 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Not there anymore but mynorevious hoiuse was in one.. Not a huge fan but I can see their worth. They cited me for peeling paint near the roof in a section I couldn't see so I never knew. Had no problem with correcting it. What I did have a problem was the monthly fees, no way we got what we paid for.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:28 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Wondering why you made it a public poll?

You also missed this one: I once lived in an HOA but no longer live in one.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:40 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Wondering why you made it a public poll?.
I always make public polls.
But... Wondering why you would ask? Interesting question.

Quote:
You also missed this one: I once lived in an HOA but no longer live in one.
Yeah. That is a good one.
We only get one shot at a poll, and cannot edit. I can see why, but every time I do a poll, I think I missed an obvious choice that I wish I could add.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:30 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
About public polls, my thought is that users want to keep their personal info anonymous, so you will get more responses if the poll is also anonymous. I guess making the poll public does have the advantage that you won't get people trying to confuse the results by choosing bizarre combinations of conflicting responses.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:42 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Quote:
About public polls, my thought is that users want to keep their personal info anonymous, so you will get more responses if the poll is also anonymous. I guess making the poll public does have the advantage that you won't get people trying to confuse the results by choosing bizarre combinations of conflicting responses.
Wanna bet? Thanks for the idea.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:48 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
I've lived in HOAs. For example one if them didn't start in a good way. It was relatively awful at first. Full of crazy self serving people. One guy was a RE agent and he voted down ANY monthly fee raises. Surprise surprise he sold properties in the complex. Also some people were using the HOA account as their own account to fix their places or if you had the right merit badges. One other guy was on the board and he was the handyman. Guy charged 4 hours to replace a sprinkler head. He was charging his drive time to get the parts and basically milk the job. Well after the RE agent guy left and money wasn't coming in cause they spent too much, the rates were too low and the HOA was in arrears. They had to raise rates. Then we started getting mad about how the place was ran and when time came for reelection people started to get voted out of office. Now the people running it are common sense.

I hear and read a lot of people complain about their HOA. Not one said I ran for the HOA or got my neighbors involved, I go to the meetings, Most people do none of those things but are very quick to judge and criticize.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:35 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
HOA's are an attempt to substitute for effective MUNICIPLE codes and zoning
that most responsible buyers want to know exist before committing to a purchase.

Developers in areas without such have (had) no real choice but to institute the HOA practice.
Too few HOA's were implemented well and even fewer continue to do it well.

Financials aside, the "best" of HOA's tend to also be the most intrusive.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:53 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I hear and read a lot of people complain about their HOA. Not one said I ran for the HOA or got my neighbors involved, I go to the meetings, Most people do none of those things but are very quick to judge and criticize.

Wrong. I previously lived in an area with HOA and in every discussion have stated that I ran for and was on the board. I ran for the specific reason to try to bring reason to it. Once on, my distaste for HOAs grew even worse. If people think they are bad from the outside, they should see the petty bickering and un-neighborly actions on the inside. Unbelievable the number of people who came in wanting to spy on and report on their neighbors for things that weren't even against the covenants. We actually had people report on things INSIDE houses where the only way they can know is to sneak on the property and peek through windows.

Board was run by a clique of retired busy bodies whose greatest joy was making others miserable.

And don't even start with the "if you don't like it, don't buy" line. In many parts of the country, there are so many HOAs you have no choice except between bad and worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate