Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 01:51 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
Is this normal? They keep asking for more....every transaction they have to source?
We applied for a line of credit recently. All went smoothly but then they said they needed a copy of a utility bill in my wife's name! To prove we live in the house together, I suppose, despite having had a joint checking account with this very large bank for over 20 years! Long story short I sent in copies of our vehicle registrations, which luckily all have both our names on them, and told them if this wasn't enough to prove we live in the same house, to just forget about the line of credit. They accepted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 02:31 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
We applied for a line of credit recently. All went smoothly but then they said they needed a copy of a utility bill in my wife's name! To prove we live in the house together, I suppose, despite having had a joint checking account with this very large bank for over 20 years! Long story short I sent in copies of our vehicle registrations, which luckily all have both our names on them, and told them if this wasn't enough to prove we live in the same house, to just forget about the line of credit. They accepted it.
That's the problem, they ask for things they don't need or are impossible, If the electric bill is in the husband's name there is no possible way to present one that is in the wife's name.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:25 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Those are all true, but I think on the other hand, just as you expect to keep your word, you have every right to expect others to as well. Therefore, if someone says all is good, then comes back with multiple requests it's not crazy to be a bit miffed.

Same goes through for being professional. If many of these things were handled more professionally instead of in slipshod fashion it wouldn't be as bad. Unless these companies just started doing loans yesterday, they probably should have a good idea of what they need up front from borrowers and have little need to ask for last minute documentation unless something truly changed.
I can totally agree with this; however, to a large degree, it's still on me since I'm the one who decided which lender/broker to use. If they prove to be incompetent, I've got to take some responsibility for selecting them and/or not firing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I also think there is a good amount of general frustration on people's part as well as they've handled their finances, the lenders didn't handle theirs which caused much of this, they got bailed out and many of the deadbeats who (I don't care what they say if they got a loan for twice the house they should have they were not "preyed upon") got to walk away without paying and now the decent borrowers are paying the price.
That's totally true. And maybe my knowledge of the mortgage process makes me a little less sympathetic to those that get so frustrated with it.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:14 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
It's always been awful... however the best experience has been with my credit union... I was very skeptical and they came through.

Friends are both Doctors and they were buying a home... the lender wanted a copy of their marriage license as they both kept maiden names...

One time it got to the point I walked out... the mortgage broker was calling 3 times a day when before it was me calling him all the time.

I paid cash and that is what I should have done from the get go except the rates are low.

Amazing how they string you along and then freak when you tell them to forget the whole thing... at least there was some satisfaction in that.

More than a third of purchases here are cash... and those with cash have tremendous advantage in getting their offer accepted.

Cash is King.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:27 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It's always been awful... however the best experience has been with my credit union... I was very skeptical and they came through.

Friends are both Doctors and they were buying a home... the lender wanted a copy of their marriage license as they both kept maiden names...

One time it got to the point I walked out... the mortgage broker was calling 3 times a day when before it was me calling him all the time.

I paid cash and that is what I should have done from the get go except the rates are low.

Amazing how they string you along and then freak when you tell them to forget the whole thing... at least there was some satisfaction in that.

More than a third of purchases here are cash... and those with cash have tremendous advantage in getting their offer accepted.

Cash is King.
When you pay cash do you still have to prove where the money came from and how long it's been in your account?

Old 03-16-2016, 08:05 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
When you pay cash do you still have to prove where the money came from and how long it's been in your account?
Who would you prove it to? When you cut out the mortgage people, you cut out 99% of the paperwork.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
No... but I should be more accurate and not have said cash.

Someone coming in with a suitcase of money to a title company would generate reporting.

A Certified Bank check drawn on a California Bank or Wire Transfer are the most common ways to pay cash which is accepted to mean no loan contingency.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
One reason for asking for more paper work, is that most banks even large ones package and sell the loans to the one that will actually be holding the loan. These companies that buy the loans, have different requirements and need for proof to be willing to buy the loan. You are approved for the loan, but after than they shop out the loans for the best bid to make their profit for originating the loan. They have to get the papers, that the one that agrees to buy the loan require. Banks actually should be considered mortgage brokers, as that is exactly what they are doing.

You may not even know the loan has been sold, as you make your payment to the originator of the loan, who collects it for a small fee for the loan holder.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:07 AM

I believe this is one reason my credit union was my best loan experience... they said they keep loans like mine as a portfolio lender...

There was none of the "Underwriter Needs" going back and forth.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:26 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
the banks request the documentation in stages . usually they take the personal credit info first to qualify you .

then as the deal progresses they take more and more info pertaining to the deal and the property .

when my daughter bought her co-op the bank was okay with everything until they went for the co-op board approval . then once approved and ready to close the bank requested a letter that the bank would not be subject to the flip tax if they foreclosed .

the co-op refused and unless they put more money down to compensate for the flip tax the deal was off the table .

they told the bank forget it .

they got another bank who told them the same thing up front since now they knew to ask , so they had no choice but to plunk down thousands more .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate