Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 04:12 PM

21 posts, read 26,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
If you lost your jobs tomorrow, had to get min wage jobs until something better came, could you afford it? Thats the way to look at it.
Well, seeing in most places minimum wage couldn't afford an apartment, probably not. That'd have me living with my parents for my entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 04:56 PM

116 posts, read 362,479 times
My husband and I bought our first home a few years back making 39,000 and our home was 159k.
We were easily approved, but ONLY because we had ZERO other debt and excellent credit scores. We also were approved for a down payment assistance program and didn't have to bring any money to closing.

Our mortgage payment at that time was 1050 a month which not only included the principle and interest, but PMI, property taxes, and home insurance.
For us it was a no brainer, because a 1 bedroom apartment was going to cost us MORE than the mortgage payment, and we'd actually be paying off something rather than throwing our money away.

We didn't have any issues paying our mortgage, other bills and living comfortably. Sure, at times it was a bit tight, but nothing major.. mainly just "oh I guess we can't go out to eat at all this month." One thing that gave us peace of mind was that it was a new build and under warranty for 2 years, plus all the major appliances (a/c, water heater, for example) are still under warranty and will be for another year.

We have since doubled our income, and our mortgage has gone up to $1,200/month (increased property taxes) plus we have added a small car payment, blah blah.

For us, it was one of the best decisions we ever made. Our home value has increased 50K in the 4 years we have lived in it, plus we have paid off nearly 20K of our home loan (I pay a bit extra every month) so we have quite a bit of equity built up.

I say pay off your loan first and make sure you have a at least a couple months living expenses saved up in addition to the money you will need for the down payment + closing costs. You do not want to drain every cent you have to get into the house.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:02 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There are places in this country you can rent an entire house for $400/month.
Yeah, but in my experience, most people wouldn't like the house or the neighborhood ...

Old 04-26-2016, 07:48 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,582 times
I just did. My wife and I earn 40k combined a year currently (she isn't working currently due to pregnancy and I just changed careers so I'm starting at the bottom again), and we bought a home that was ~$158k. It is fine, but we have always lived very frugally (but comfortably) and do wish we had some more money, but that should come in time as I gain more experience in my career. It also helped us a lot by having little debt (just some school loans) and we both have excellent credit scores.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:00 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
It can be done....

Old 04-26-2016, 08:31 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
i bought a house for 172,500. My taxes said I made 45k. I had 0 debt besides a car payment.

I do make more money now though...

Old 04-26-2016, 09:12 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Wait. Definitely wait.
When I was making $32k a year, I was approved for a $150k mortgage. I took out a $113k mortgage when I bought my house. Within a year, several repairs were needed and I found myself having to put said repairs on a credit card. Well, that was a terrible cycle because my budget was stretched so thin, I couldn't afford it. Hello second job.
I spent 5 years working 25-30 hours a week in retail on top of my career. Tired of working to death, I decided to relocate back to my home state. I sold my house for what I owed (It went under contract quickly, it fell through, then I had a stale listing to deal with -and was living out of state- and had to repeatedly drop the price.) When I bought my house I had student loans and a car payment. When I sold my house, I had that as well as $13,000 in credit card debt.
I make more than double what I made when I bought a house, but I'm still renting. I will not buy a house again until I have a 20% down payment AND a cushion for repairs. I hate renting. But I will be patient and do it the smart way the next time.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:15 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,089 times
I bought a 180k house on 60k/year.

It can be done and it isn't that hard.

You really need to be careful with that credit card debt though. 7500 is a LOT for a couple that only makes 44k/year. You need to be paying that off asap.

Also, where in the world is a house still available for 155k?

Old 04-26-2016, 10:53 PM

142 posts, read 179,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Nope. You don't make enough. The rough figure to go by is 3 times your salary. You can use a bank calculator. Don't be house poor. It sucks!
I agree 100%.

Step 1: Pay off your debt.
Step 2: Don't incur new debt.
Step 3: Save up at least 4-6 months of expenses that you *only* use for emergencies.
Step 4: Save up for a down payment for your house.
Step 5: Purchase a house that has a payment of ~25-30% of your take home pay.
Step 6: Repeat Step 2 over and over forever.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:29 AM

671 posts, read 854,561 times
You can do it but you should probably wait.

Wait until you are married.
Wait until your fiancé gets a good nursing job.
Wait until you pay off the credit card debt.

Save some emergency mortgage money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate