Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 06:44 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,035 times

Advertisements

there can always be some small detail that others would not notice that could bug the heck out of you and for this reason alone, it's worth it to make the effort. I couldn't trust a parent/sibling to check out a 400k house for me because I'm particular about some things (house placement on street, orientation to north, smells, sounds in the neighborhood etc).

people looking at homes over $500k tend to be more discerning than people looking at the lower priced homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 07:08 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
No I would not buy a house sight unseen.
Plus!!! The neighborhood. Check it out. We almost, in fact had signed on a house; not close to school or airport; but after signing the following weekend, walked around the neighborhood and low and behold, charity low cost housing, right around the block. Had to hire a lawyer, to get out of that deal. Not that there is anything wrong with the housing.......but, resale, think.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:21 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Did you at least have the house inspected?

Old 06-11-2016, 04:25 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,249,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Then we asked our buyer's agent to come to the house and film it inside - she did a fantastic job! Then she stood outside and took a video from the outside looking away. With all of that, when we did get to see the house in person, we felt as though we had already been there - no surprises.
+1

a video is a great idea. surprised more people don't do this.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:44 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
I would and I have. If you trust your realtor, go for it.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:46 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminimagk View Post
Thanks for all the replies! It's not the money to go fly and see it, it's that we have 3 young kids and are both working this weekend. But, I think we can figure out a way for my husband to fly for the day Sunday to take a look.

Good point. I'm actually from the city originally (though not this particular suburb). My parents have lived in the area for 10 years and I have several friends who live nearby also. So, I not unfamiliar with the immediate area.
Oh, wait a min....have your parents go look and make an offer contingent on inspection.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:58 PM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
+1

a video is a great idea. surprised more people don't do this.
It should only be done with permission of the sellers, and particularly in an occupied home.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:44 AM

186 posts, read 173,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It would be crazy to CLOSE on a house you've never been in... but not crazy to make an offer that includes standard inspections and reviews. You can get the house under contract if you're worried about losing it... Just be there to see it in person before the inspection AND/OR neighborhood review period expires, and INSPECT IT.
I agree! We went into contract sight unseen. It was not feasible to fly to see it and then the price dropped after we rejected her second counter so it was not going to stick around until we got to the area. We were familiar with the area and used google maps, our agent took 60 pictures and we had friends who knew previous renters. Some things were better than we expected and some things were not as good but we are so happy with our decision. The layout was not what my husband was expecting but it is a very traditional layout and we both really like it. I wasn't expecting a garage so that was an awesome bonus!

I saw the house while it was still in due diligence period and my husband saw it before closing. If we backed out during due diligence we would have lost $2500 and 5K after due diligence. It was worth $2500 to have my elem aged daughter be able to start school right away and not be in limbo for months on end. It was winter and inventory in the neighborhood in our price range was non existent.

With all of that said we are not the pickiest of people. We didn't have a list of must haves a mile long. We knew going in the bones of the house were amazing and the kitchen and bathrooms needed to be redone. It is a great lot in an wonderful location on a quiet street in the school district we wanted.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:59 PM

34 posts, read 39,335 times
UPDATE: Our offer was accepted yesterday. Husband toured today and loved it. Can't wait to move in!!

Old 06-12-2016, 09:04 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,837,422 times
A house worth 100K, no not insane. A house worth 1 million? Yes, not only insane but down right, well...

If you can afford a million dollar home, you can afford a trip and a hotel stay for 1-2 weeks to either look at this house or if it doesn't work out find another one. Looking at 4 houses a day you should be able to find at least 3 to make offers on and at least one of those will close. Use financing, neighborhood review and inspection contingency to back out of the ones that you end up passing on when you get a signed contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate