Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 03:50 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

-Carpeted living rooms

Things I'm turned on by that many others seem to dislike:

-Half bathrooms

-Carpeted bedrooms
Completely with you on the carpeting. We have hardwood in the kitchen (obviously not going to be carpeted) but also in the family room. Easy to clean. Works well with our dog. Looks great.

Can't believe some don't like carpeted bedrooms. Hardwood just isn't inviting enough and cold mornings? No thanks. Don't want to get out of bed and step on cold wood.

And people don't like half bathrooms? They're so efficient and perfect for visitors.

Someone mentioned vessel sinks. Also hate them. Never seem to be the right height and just awkward to use. Also dislike pedestal sinks with no counter to place objects on. Especially if it's near a bedroom.

Also dislike bathrooms with two doors either shared between rooms or a bedroom and a hall. You basically just have to lock one and accept it or open/close both doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 03:58 PM

6,109 posts, read 4,602,134 times
1.) The "vessel style" above the bowl sinks in bathrooms that became trendy about 10 years ago. They look weird and I had one in a condo I rented for a vacation and it just made the sink space feel more cramped seemed I was bumping into things with my toiletries beside them. I can see these looking really dated in about 25 years.

2.) Hardwood floors- They're okay in a formal living room and in some rooms like kitchens and bathrooms where carpet is impractical and unclean. But in bedrooms or even an informal den? No. They feel hard, cold, and stark and have to constantly been swept/mopped, etc. Even with rugs down, it feels like you're slipping on an in-permanent solution to a problem that wouldn't have otherwise existed.

3.) I have no need for a fireplace, and it seems like more of a maintenance/safety liability. It's totally puzzling why people in mild climates like Southern California would have them, but they do.

4.) I don't like antique, "old" fixtures in bathrooms such as clawfoot tubs, pedestal sinks (with the plumbing exposed), old toilets, old tile, etc. It just makes the bathroom look grimey even when it's clean. Modern always wins out with me in the bathroom.

5.) In some of the new "trendy" neotraditional neighborhoods, the rear alley (which is ironically built in areas that never had these even a century ago in order to be marketed as "authentically historic"). No thanks, I like my privacy, especially in the back yard.

And I'm okay with popcorn ceilings (unlike the goofy people on HGTV who get so upset by them) and ceiling fans.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:10 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Popular design features and trends that are minuses for me:

Open floor plan
Pointlessly huge master bathrooms
Tray ceilings, vaulted ceilings
Pot lights
Generic white MDF moldings
Huge house on a small lot
Jack and Jill bathrooms
Breakfast bars and islands in general -- give me space for an old-fashioned kitchen table instead

Almost any house built after 1970 is a minus.

Things like stainless steel appliances are not a 'minus' -- the color of an appliance doesn't affect how it functions -- but I'm not going to pay extra for them.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:27 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I dislike two story foyers, cathedral ceilings and kitchen islands.

Have all three in my house lol

Old 06-27-2016, 04:43 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
Popular things I don't care for:
-OPEN FLOOR PLAN! I vastly prefer separate spaces for separate uses.
-New construction. I'm pretty much only interested if it's pre-1940s. Modern houses just don't have the same quality and attention to detail.
-Large lot. I have no desire for all that grass. I'd rather live somewhere dense and walkable where I can mow the lawn in 15 minutes.
-Swimming pool. Although where I live they aren't popular anyway.
-Double sinks. What a complete waste of space. I don't need a dedicated sink devoted only to MY toothpaste spit and mine alone.
-Tiny toilet room inside the bathroom. Pointless and claustrophobic.
-Single-story living. I like the public/private barrier of having my bedroom upstairs. Basements are ubiquitous here, but I wouldn't ever own a house without one.
-Eat in kitchen/breakfast nook. I would vastly, vastly prefer more cabinets and counter space. I can't imagine why anyone would choose to eat in the kitchen rather than taking their food a few steps to the dining room. And if there is no dining room I'm out.
-Cabinets for waste baskets. No matter how often you empty the trash, the cabinets WILL come to smell over time.
-Over the range microwave/vent hood. I use the microwave fewer than half a dozen times a year. I'd much rather just have a good quality stand-alone vent hood.
-Lack of a tub. I'm part of the contingent that loves a nice leisurely soak a few times a month, so the trend toward just a shower stall doesn't work for me.
-Forced air heat. I love my cast iron radiators.

Several people have mentioned preferring detached garages over attached. I'm really curious as to why. I have always felt that detached garages were pretty much the one downside to my love of older houses. Would anyone care to share what drives you to prefer that setup?

Old 06-27-2016, 04:51 PM

280 posts, read 250,206 times
While I get why people hate HOAs... It is a must have for me moving forward. I have seen too many neighborhoods turn to crap once one or 2 houses start looking bad. Just a 40 dollar, HOA is enough to keep everyone in check.

I want to second the oversize master bedrooms as a dislike. Seems like HGTV has influenced the "master retreat" concept and people are jumping on board. I have no idea why I need a sitting chair or reading nook in the master.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:30 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
+
lots of nice trees and thoughtful landscaping
little fish ponds and waterfalls
dumb waiters
galley style kitchens
bedrooms with irregular footprints

-
trey ceilings
narrow hallways
laundry in closets and anywhere except 1st floor
stacked washer/dryer
faux exterior brick and stone that don't 'wrap' any features
toilets in tiny toilet-rooms
vessel sinks

Old 06-27-2016, 05:43 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times
"Craftsman style built-ins"
"Mid century modern wood paneling"
HOAs
Pools
Double front doors
Hot tubs
large lots(hate yardwork)

Old 06-27-2016, 06:10 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
I'm another old house lover. So, many of the things that I consider minuses are old house related.
1. updated kitchens and baths
2. new windows
3. open floor plans (I don't mind them, if they are an original feature, and I don't care either way, in newer houses)

Some of the things I consider a plus aren't exactly old house related, though.
1. small lot in an urban setting
2. I prefer detached garages. (since I don't drive, they're just glorified garden sheds, anyway) If the garage faces a rear alley, that's cool, too; I like the idea of having a front yard uninterrupted by a driveway.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:14 PM

525 posts, read 659,949 times
Without reading replies first:

HATE (with the white hot hate of a thousand suns) open concept. Also dislike swimming pools and attached garages and pet doors. Dislike granite. Not fond of stainless steel, thought the newer slate finish is a compromise my husband and I have for that. Whirlpool tubs are gross and a waste of hot water and space. GIANT HUGE ENORMOUS houses that fill their entire lot size.

LOVE original style of houses older than 1970s. ie: mid century modern, 60s finishes, craftsman bungalows, you know, houses with character that hasn't been "upgraded" or modernized. Built-ins. Original floors. Original windows. Coming up with a modern solution to retro-fit an older home to work with modern conveniences without sacrificing the original intention of the floor plan or cabinetry.

Now after reading replies:
OMG I hate double vanities too! And tile counter tops! And vessel sinks!

And I love fireplaces. My new house doesn't have one, but I got everything else so....

Last edited by SolaireSolstice; 06-27-2016 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Updating... (lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate