Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:44 AM

3,606 posts, read 9,079,902 times

Advertisements

You should have your own agent to represent you, it doesn't cost you anything and they will be your advocate. I was a buyer in a hot market last year if we didn't have an agent looking out for us we would have missed out on a great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 02:09 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,408,726 times
I wouldn't imagine that many realtors would have knowledge of the multiple county area we are considering. So if I want to look at property 100 miles away, is a buyer's agent here going to help me with that?

Old 07-11-2016, 02:21 PM

8,578 posts, read 12,471,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I wouldn't imagine that many realtors would have knowledge of the multiple county area we are considering. So if I want to look at property 100 miles away, is a buyer's agent here going to help me with that?
You should find someone local to where you wish to buy.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:43 AM

9,444 posts, read 6,606,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
In some areas it's customary (maybe even required) to do so, but I never submit earnest money deposits with an offer. Instead, I have a clause in the contract indicating that a deposit will be made immediately upon acceptance of the offer--usually to the title company that will be handling the closing.

If you know the area where you'd like to move, contact a Buyer's Agent to represent you. I don't recommend working with a Seller's agent, even--or especially--if they're working as a Dual Agent.
This ^^^

Old 07-12-2016, 03:24 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,877,994 times
[quote=FalconheadWest;44719830]That's not fair. The contingency is YOUR option, not the agent. I tell my clients all the time that contingency offers are not as strong, but as their agent, I can't tell them not to put in a contingency if they have a house to sell before they can finance or pay cash for their new house. Your offer has to be full disclosure to the seller about what your situation is.

And, you never know when the seller will accept a contingency. It's not just about price, it's about all other terms within the offer. If there was another cash offer at the same price as yours, then they look at terms. If both were contingent, then they look at other terms within that are strong in one offer over another. Maybe you asked for 10 days for the option period and the other buyer offered 5. Maybe you offered a 45 day close and the other offered a 3 week close. Maybe the other buyer offered to pay the owner's title policy but you asked the seller to pay yours for you.

Stop beating up the agent and learn from your own mistakes within the offer you made and make it stronger next time.[/quote]

Aren't they paying the agent to guide them through this process?

Old 07-12-2016, 07:31 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,859,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Aren't they paying the agent to guide them through this process?
No, technically, the buyer is not paying the agent. But beyond that, yes, the agent is supposed to guide their clients, but we can only guide so far with the information provided. If a buyer says they want to make a cash offer, BUT that they won't actually have the cash until their house sells, the only way to protect the client is to put the offer with a contingency. The only way not to have the contingency is to already have the cash and be willing to close on the house even if the other house doesn't sell, or risk losing all the earnest money if the house doesn't sell because they won't have the cash.

For the agent to have written a contingency into their cash offer, that's protecting their client and guiding them. Not putting in the contingency would be leaving them out to dry, but also not disclosing the situation to the sellers properly because the sellers would go livid on them if they terminated because their buyers didn't close on the house allowing the cash to be available.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:16 AM

33 posts, read 32,054 times
of course not. realtors never do you right.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:01 AM

10,997 posts, read 22,042,241 times
1- Did the agent do you wrong? I don't think so. Their was no benefit to them for you not getting the home. Now that agent doesn't get paid.
2-Was it normal? Yes, in a hot market multiple offers are common. Sounds like you're looking in a hot market.
3-Contingent on sale or contingent on closing? In my state they are 2 seperate contingincies. Con on sale no good, con on closing perfectly acceptable. The contingent on sale or closing is usually in place to protect your earnest money. Can you and would you buy if your home hasn't already closed?
4-Your closing has been "a piece of cake". They are all easy...until they aren't. Realtors get paid to deal with problems. Some transactions are smooth, some get challenging. If it gets challenging you'll want a good agent on your side.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:24 PM

32,717 posts, read 48,311,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
.......an all cash offer contingent on the sale of our house at the end of July. ...... Without any earnest money check, would they ever have taken any offer we made seriously. ....
I don't usually give the earnest money at the time of offer. I've almost always given that at the point the offer is accepted. So, I don't think the earnest money was the issue here. The seller doesn't see the check, they just see the amount on the contract.

Personally, in a hot market, I would never accept your offer to purchase contingent upon your getting your own house sold. To me, your offer was not an all cash offer, because you don't have the cash. I'm not going to sit here hoping that your own buyer performs and that your sale doesn't fall through. I'm not taking my house off the market for a month, hoping that your house sells, unless you can prove that you will complete the sale regardless of whether or not your house actually closes escrow.

So, I suspect that is the issue that had the seller choosing an different buyer.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:16 PM

8,578 posts, read 12,471,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw View Post
of course not. realtors never do you right.
Now, is your gross generalization aimed at all real estate agents or just all Realtors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate