Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 10:17 AM

24 posts, read 32,119 times

Advertisements

If I rent an apartment and determine I don't like living there, I can bail out at the end of the 6 month or year lease and strike it up to experience. But if I buy a house and don't like it, then I am stuck. If you include the closing costs of the home purchase and the sale, you are talking about big money. Assuming a 3% increase in the value of your home, after paying all your real estate and moving costs, it would take at least three years to break even if you wanted to move out of a house you bought but did not like.

Have you taken a big loss on a house you bought simply because you had to move quickly right after buying it? Tell us more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 10:42 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,764,835 times
Well, when you buy a house you take your time and know what you're doing.

You check out the neighborhood. Drive through many times on different days of the week and at different hours of the day. You decide what things are important to you about a home. Look at the design, the floor plan, the condition of the home, the lot, etc.

Make sure you know what you want in a home. Don't look at the seller's furniture or what color they painted the walls. Look at the bones of the house and whether your furniture fits. Look at the flow of the home, whether it's bright and airy, how the rooms go from one to another. Have a good home inspection .

Check the outside-- can you maintain the grounds easily; is there sun, shade, open lawn, etc.

Don't expect a house to be perfect. Unless you have millions upon millions to spend and can build from scratch, you're most likely going to have to compromise on some things. Just make sure you can accept your compromises before you buy.

Just go slow, pay attention to details, make sure you know what you want. Do this and you won't have to worry about if you want to move three weeks after you move in. A house is not an apartment. A house is a long term situation and you should treat it as such. It requires a lot of thought beforehand.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:45 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Investment View Post
Have you taken a big loss on a house you bought simply because you had to move quickly right after buying it?
No. I don't take the decision to buy a house lightly, therefore I would have done everything in my power to vet the house against my needs and requirements before putting my name to paper.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:55 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,941,362 times
Quote:
Have you taken a big loss on a house you bought simply because you had to move quickly right after buying it?
Never. To my way of thinking that would be foolish. So, I never buy a house unless I am absolutely sure that I will be living in it for at least 7 years, and absolutely sure that I adore it and that there is nothing wrong with it.

Of course, this can drive my real estate guy nuts. Back in 2002 when I was shopping for a house, I made him take me inside 2-3 dozen homes before I finally found one that I was sure I liked that much.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:52 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,393,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Never. To my way of thinking that would be foolish. So, I never buy a house unless I am absolutely sure that I will be living in it for at least 7 years, and absolutely sure that I adore it and that there is nothing wrong with it.

Of course, this can drive my real estate guy nuts. Back in 2002 when I was shopping for a house, I made him take me inside 2-3 dozen homes before I finally found one that I was sure I liked that much.

I am the same way. I give my buying agent a list of 'must haves' and a list of 'deal breakers' before we even start looking but it still takes time (and they will ALWAYS show you houses with deal breakers anyway)

Old 08-04-2016, 02:10 PM

17,310 posts, read 12,260,346 times
The one time I considered it was when I bought a house then accepted a new job just a year later. Commute went from 15mins to 1-1.5hrs. But then the crash happened and that basically made the decision for me. Ended up making that commute for 10 years.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:11 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,033 times
We sold a house about 18mths after buying it. It was a great looking house. We knew initially that we needed flood insurance but had no idea the extent to which the basement flooded. We're talking 7ft of water if the sump pump clogged, which it did.

So knowing that the local market was hot, we sold it (with full disclosure on the water) for a 100K more than we bought it for. Best decision ever, I still have dreams 13yrs later about the sump pump breaking.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:34 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Quote:
If I rent an apartment and determine I don't like living there, I can bail out at the end of the 6 month or year lease and strike it up to experience. But if I buy a house and don't like it, then I am stuck. If you include the closing costs of the home purchase and the sale, you are talking about big money. Assuming a 3% increase in the value of your home, after paying all your real estate and moving costs, it would take at least three years to break even if you wanted to move out of a house you bought but did not like.

Have you taken a big loss on a house you bought simply because you had to move quickly right after buying it? Tell us more!
No, because I do not buy houses without being sure.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:36 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post

I viewed over 300 before buying my last one. I needed to find the perfect house for me and I was not going to settle.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:15 AM

17,310 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Difficult to do that in the hot seller's market here with places often getting multiple offers same day as listing. You have to make a snap decision that day or the place is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate