Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 04:13 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My current mortgage is 3.12%. I have $86k left on the balance. Home value roughly $225k.

My question is, in order to attract buyers, could I offer owner financing at say 4.5%? Could I offer this while keeping my current mortgage? Or would I need to pay it off? I could pay it off, that would not be an issue.

Any other hazards or issues?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 04:30 PM

6,487 posts, read 10,363,068 times
If you sell your house, your current mortgage would have to be paid off at closing. I can't imagine any bank allowing you to keep your current mortgage active when you no longer own the home. Why would they ? Strange question.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:34 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,995,719 times
You can't technically owner finance since you have an existing mortgage. Owner financing means you sold them the house and you are the bank. If they stop paying you would need to foreclose.

You can do a lease with an option to purchase but the tenant won't be able to apply any of the rent towards the principal. Much safer for you. Nonrefundable down payment and if they stop paying you just have to evict them.

If you have equity in your new home, assuming this is no longer your primary residence, could you take out an equity line to pay off the mortgage?

Is it even worth it as opposed to just selling it outright?

Old 10-23-2018, 04:39 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,462,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You can't technically owner finance since you have an existing mortgage. Owner financing means you sold them the house and you are the bank. If they stop paying you would need to foreclose.

You can do a lease with an option to purchase but the tenant won't be able to apply any of the rent towards the principal. Much safer for you. Nonrefundable down payment and if they stop paying you just have to evict them.

If you have equity in your new home, assuming this is no longer your primary residence, could you take out an equity line to pay off the mortgage?

Is it even worth it as opposed to just selling it outright?
We have the money to pay off the mortgage, that is not the issue. It's only $86k outstanding.

I wanted to offer a below market rate and play the arbitrage on the two rates. Buyers would win by getting a good rate deal and I win by collecting the difference in rates and being able foreclose if they don't pay.

I'm wondering about lease /option to purchase as I have read about it in the past.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:53 PM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times
You will not get a closing attorney to record the deed without "insurable and marketable title free of lien or encumbrance."
Conveying with an unsatisfied mortgage lien disqualifies the title as "insurable and marketable, free of lien or encumbrance."

It is a question worth confirming with a closing attorney, who may use different terms.

IF you were able to record, your lender would call the loan immediately.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:09 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
Most mortgages have a due on sale clause meaning the mortgage must be paid off it the property is sold. This includes an owner financing sale.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:25 PM

4,622 posts, read 7,547,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Hello,

Any other hazards or issues?

Thanks

The words "owner financing" will most likely attract every loser who can't qualify for a mortgage in today's market, which is already spilling over into the sloppy qualifying standards of the last real estate bust. If you go down that path, you definitely want to do a thorough credit check on the buyers.

Then there's the paperwork. It will take time every month to keep track of the payments. You'll need an amortization schedule to accurately calculate the interest, principal, and remaining balance due. There are also annual 1098 mortgage interest statements to prepare.

You'll also have to worry about the buyer maintaining the property, paying the property taxes and insurance. That means you'll be married to your old home for the life of the loan.

Before entering into a sale with owner financing, you may want to consult a real estate lawyer and obtain legal advice with regard to the financing, disclosure, and repayment requirements that need to be met, and to find out the specifics on what documentation you should have to protect your interests in the deal.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:09 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,928,706 times
Owner financing is attractive to buyers with troubled credit who can't get a mortgage. Think about it.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:23 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,141,672 times
As everyone said above... you can't owner finance while carrying a mortgage. Your loan holder will rightly object to that.

But if you can pay it off, and if the idea of monthly income appeals to you, a private contract can be a good way to go for some sales. There is some risk of course, but the interest rates you can charge are usually at least a point over prime, and with the stock market being crazy the last few months... hard to find investments that can reliably beat that.

As for the bookkeeping part... many banks will offer to manage that part for you through a transaction account, with running balance and amortization totals tracking that will look just like the monthly statement for any loan. Easy.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:12 AM

577 posts, read 664,152 times
The type of mortgage you are talking about, a wraparound mortgage, was more popular years ago. Title can be passed with a mortgage still in place, however, most mortgages are due on sale, so the lender can accelerate the loan, if they want.

Talk to a lawyer so you know what the foreclosure process is like in your state, so you know the risks involved. And, if there are other ways to sell with a mortgage still in place, like land contracts.

And, as others have said, finding a qualified buyer is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate