Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 06:55 PM

150 posts, read 506,991 times

Advertisements

We are about 30 days from closing on our home (we set a 60 day escrow) which we are very excited about, as it is our first
Initially we liked our Realtor (Buyers Agent)-some new friends that we made when we arrived here recommended her. Unfortunately, it was only clear after we signed something saying we would stick with her for 6 months, that she wasn't really working on our behalf. Needless to say, this discovery was very upsetting to me, especially because this our first time buying. One particular thing is bothering me-she doesn't listen to our wants. So much so that the actual agent for the builder has been more of a resource for us. I wish she was our Realtor.
She asked that we not contact the builder directly-today her words were-please stop contacting the builder directly, that is my job, and what you are paying me for. We have voiced our needs many times, and she does not listen. She mentioned at one point that most of her clients want her to do everything for them, but if that wasn't what we wanted, it was no problem-she just needed to hear that from us. Thats what she said, that's not what her actions have said.
I have gotten the feeling from the beginning that all she cares about is getting her commission-which is so strange because I thought making the client happy and getting the commission went hand in hand. She has single handedly turned this purchase into an unpleasant experience for us-it has been very stressful. We agree to a time for the inspection, then she changes the time, we agree to a time for the Radon testing, she changes it and says its better for the inspector. We know for sure that the time she has chosen may make it difficult for the builder to keep employees out of the home. It feels like one big power trip. I am not a confrontational person (I dread it),and I (we) am at a point where I don't want to talk to her or deal with her. The worst part is that we have so many little questions that come up, that we can't even ask her. I feel like we are getting a bad deal here. Our Agent has given us little to no information. She has even stood in the way of incentives from our builder saying "you're already getting a really good deal-I would be very surprised if you got what you are asking for". Ugh. We have actually gotten the things we have asked for when she gets out of the way.

My husband thinks that we should just continue to contact the builder as needed (the builders agent has told us over and over to call her if we have any questions) and bypass our Agent i.e just ignore her, rather than get upset about it.

Anybody had a similar experience or have any advice?

Thank you so much
Christinabean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 07:08 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
We had a terrible time with our agent as we were in the midst of the buy and we were first time buyers too. Someone suggested we talk with the person in charge at the agency, can't remember what their title was, but she listened to our entire laundry list of what was going on and then immediately asked if she could refer us to another buyer's agent to take over from there. It was smooth sailing after that and I'm so glad we went to the top for help. Good luck - I know it can feel like a real nightmare, but you can get someone else to work with you.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:14 PM

29 posts, read 135,185 times
Take what you wrote above, change the third person (her), change it to second person (you), add a paragraph that says "had we not contacted the builder directly we would have lost $xxx worth of incentives". Point out that is a very, very big deal. Stick it all in an email, the send that email to her and CC her boss too.

At that point, one of 2 things will happen : she will either become very apologetic, or she'll go completely the opposite way. One way or the other you'll know who's side she's really on and it sounds like she can't become much more unhelpful anyway.

Look at it this way : this woman is going to be earning a substantial amount of money from you. You deserve to get value for that money. Be polite, but be tough.

Our sellers agent made so many mistakes when listing our property and doing counter offers that's she's now making a loss on our house. There was no way I was going to pay for her forgetting to tell the buyer that we were taking light fixtures, washer and dryer and other stuff. So, she's now crediting us and the buyer for a bunch of stuff plus the agency she works for is losing half a percent of their commission. Given the nightmare we've been through it still seems like they're making too much money from us !

Old 02-22-2008, 07:20 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
I remembered who it was that helped us get assigned to a different agent, it was the Broker in Charge. Once we talked to her and she heard what happened and how upset we were she really took care of things. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:45 PM

281 posts, read 1,108,301 times
Default referrals only

I feel for all of you who have had a bad experience...the best thing you can do if your agent was legitimately horrible....is not refer them EVER. We live and die off of referral busines...so if you had a deal fall through for reasons out of your or your agents control...that is one thing, but if they were lazy or NOT PUTTING YOUR INTERESTS AHEAD OF THEIRS.......don't refer them.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:01 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I feel very sorry for you and your situation is exactly one of the reasons I don't work with a buyers agent. Builders don't like to deal with most of them and you can be in a difficult position because the agent will put the blame on you when she is asking something from the builder and to change the times all the time, create a very annoying relationship with the builder and you have to deal with their warranty department and better keep a good relationship. I guess you are stuck with her but if it becomes worse you can make a point and add her name to a certain website on which bad realtors are reported.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:22 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
Quote:
It feels like one big power trip.
It feels like one because it is one. And that's all it is. Call her broker. Tell him/her that you aren't happy, things are going sour, you prefer not to have her contact you anymore and would he please assign someone else to assist you and answer your questions.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:42 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,314 times
Sorry for you experience, as any good agent, notice "good", will always have their client at the top of their list and always be a good listner, putting you first. We do survive on our reputation, and I would truly give my commission away, or do whatever it takes to create the trust and faith needed to build a relatiohship. Home buying, should be a great and wonderful time and when done with the right agent, can easily be. Good luck, and please write if not resolved by the broker. If that does not work, another bad agency hurting the whole industry, but surley the broker will correct.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:03 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Contact her principal broker. They are legally the one in charge, and responsible for the supervision of the agents underneath them. The agents are just acting on behalf of the principal broker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate