Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:14 AM

115 posts, read 98,704 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am starting to look at homes; however, i won't be ready until late spring to early summer.
  1. Is it too early to start looking at open houses?
  2. Can I look at open houses without prequal?
  3. What should I look for while attending open houses?
  4. Do the people conducting open houses ask you any questions or nag you?
  5. What should I avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 09:20 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
You will be asked to sign in. People have a right to know who is in their house, and the listing agent will probably want a chance to work with you.
There are no requirements for just looking though. You can get a good idea of what you can get for your money, and what features you want, or don't want.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:32 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpharoh View Post
Hi All,

I am starting to look at homes; however, i won't be ready until late spring to early summer.
  1. Is it too early to start looking at open houses?
  2. Can I look at open houses without prequal?
  3. What should I look for while attending open houses?
  4. Do the people conducting open houses ask you any questions or nag you?
  5. What should I avoid?
  1. Not at all.
  2. Yes.
  3. Features, floor plan, surroundings, location.
  4. Yes, some do. And, some don't.
  5. Spilling personal financial information or details that could be used as leverage against you in future negotiations. You may bump into the agent on the other side of a transaction when you ARE ready to buy, and if they are good, they will recall your open house meeting.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:39 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Just to add to MJ's #3, take notes on what you like and don't like about each property. Eventually you will formulate a "wants and needs" list that will help you later when you are describing to your agent what you want and don't want.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:00 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Are there really that many open houses anymore? Compared with 20 years ago, I'd guess not. Because people can get an idea using photos on the MLS? I'd guess so.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:08 AM

115 posts, read 98,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Are there really that many open houses anymore? Compared with 20 years ago, I'd guess not. Because people can get an idea using photos on the MLS? I'd guess so.
Not sure compared to 20 years ago, i'd assume people showing open houses has declined due to web, mobile devices, etc; however, it might be used as a connections tool for real estate people? Not sure..

The reason why I want to attend open houses is to get myself familiar with touring properties and looking out for key items so i am "ready" and have the "eyes" for when I am ready to work with a agent on purchasing a house.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:14 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Yes there are still open houses, depending on market.

I make a practice of visiting EVERY open house in my own neighborhood, just to keep an idea of what my own house is worth. I've never been asked to sign in. Sometimes I say I'm just looking, other times I admit I'm from up the street.

Yes of course it's a good idea to visit open houses in the area you contemplate buying in. More knowledge is always useful. If you have the time just drop in. That is why it is called an open house.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:32 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
They are not as common, but far from uncommon.
Some sellers still see value in them.
Many buyers track open houses for viewing opportunities.
And, many agents will still push you out of your house on a weekend so they can try to scrape up a couple of leads for future business.

Quite a few of the "Coming Soon" listings go Active for open house, just to promote the idea that buyers get a fair shot at them.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:40 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Yes there are still open houses, depending on market.

I make a practice of visiting EVERY open house in my own neighborhood, just to keep an idea of what my own house is worth. I've never been asked to sign in. Sometimes I say I'm just looking, other times I admit I'm from up the street.

Yes of course it's a good idea to visit open houses in the area you contemplate buying in. More knowledge is always useful. If you have the time just drop in. That is why it is called an open house.
My realtor calls them "lookie loos" and refuses to do open houses because all they attract are the neighbors. Anyone truly interested in buying will have an agent and make an appt.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:19 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
you don't HAVE to get prequalified, but it's in YOUR best interest to do so. It's of the greatest value to you to go to open houses in your price range (include those 10% above your comfortable payment range), because that will help you become an informed consumer and get some idea of what type of home you can expect to get when it's your time.

It will also help you see which neighborhoods have homes in your price range, and then decide which of those neighborhoods you like. Doesn't do you any good to look at neighborhoods where homes are 20% above your budget, since the chances you'll eventually buy in that neighborhood are slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate