Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 04:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Plenty of ways to get into trouble... especially when there is money involved.

During an open house a 7 year old was injured on a swing set... the set was not even transferring with the property.

Anyway... the Agent/Broker had insurance that stepped right up so the seller was protected...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 04:31 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Oddly, that swing set thing has crossed my mind, probably saw one at a house showing long time ago. I recall thinking, if this were my house I would have that swing set dismantled unless it was conveying. And if not, then disable it so that it can't be used.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:32 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Plenty of ways to get into trouble... especially when there is money involved.

During an open house a 7 year old was injured on a swing set... the set was not even transferring with the property.

Anyway... the Agent/Broker had insurance that stepped right up so the seller was protected...
Is that the norm? Are agents required to have that type of insurance?

Old 02-27-2017, 10:44 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
All the ones I know do have it... actually several different types... Errors and Omissions is really standard here.

A friend was selling the very nice home he built and was building his retirement home in Oregon.

The agent he and his wife hired liked to have scented candles at the Open Houses... she forgot and left one burning and burned down the 1.4m home in Atherton.... so below median price just for reference... not high end... just nice...

The agent's insurance paid almost 900k to rebuild...

It's something that is easy to overlook... mistakes and accidents happen.

When my brother bought an old Pioneer Homestead... the seller was adamant no one on property unless accompanied by the Listing Agent... it was due to liability concerns.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:18 AM

20 posts, read 29,503 times
So for those of you wanting an update, here it is:
The seller's son vacated the premises, so that is no longer an issue.
But now another issue has popped up.
I went by to check things out, and noticed an issue with the attached 2 car carport.
2 weeks ago, inspectors had found an issue (structural) with the carport and a contractor was called and he gave an estimate, which the seller has agreed to fix (escrow hold back) but now I have noticed something that they have missed in relation to the first issue. How can an inspector and a contractor have missed this?????
My due diligence is set to expire tomorrow at midnight.
Contractor can't come until Friday.
I meet with my realtor today at 2pm to discuss this further.
*Sigh*
I'm feeling like I can no longer trust anyone at this point.
My dream home is turning into a nightmare.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:18 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiogirl_78 View Post
Thanks for posting back... too few will.
And glad that hiccup was settled amicably

Quote:
...but now I have noticed something that they have missed in relation to the first issue.
How can an inspector and a contractor have missed this?????
Not having any clue what "this?????" might be...
the reason could be any one of a thousand ordinary things.
or any one of fifty peculiar things.

Quote:
The home isn't turning into anything.
Your romanticism however...

For future reference homes aren't bought and sold... only houses.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:24 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
I went by to check things out, and noticed an issue with the attached 2 car carport.
2 weeks ago, inspectors had found an issue (structural) with the carport and a contractor was called and he gave an estimate, which the seller has agreed to fix (escrow hold back) but now I have noticed something that they have missed in relation to the first issue. How can an inspector and a contractor have missed this?????
*Sigh*
Gotta pay your dues for your dreams. Sounds flippant, but if it really IS your dream, this is just another wrinkle.
Heck, read Ultrarunner's post above about candle burning down the house. Now THAT is a Nightmare for all parties.

Hang in there. Just as predicted, the son/tenant issue was ironed out, and a non-issue. You can work your way through another repair item.
Get photos of the issue to share with the home inspector and contractor for comment.
The DD Period can be extended, if seller agrees.
Your agent will tell you that, too.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:48 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
*Sigh*
I'm glad to hear that the tenant/son issue has been resolved--contrary to the predictors of gloom and doom who urged you to cancel.

You didn't mention what the new issue was, but that, too, can likely be resolved. As long as there are willing parties involved (which appears to be the case in your situation), just about anything can be worked out. It just may take a little patience and a bit more time. Hang in there.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:44 AM

20 posts, read 29,503 times
Ok so I have decided to enclose more details. Here is my inspection report and pictures:

FOUNDATION(Structural)
Repair or Replace
The foundation wall at the front of home in crawl space at left corner (Facing Front of Home) of carport has crack present with outward displacement in the crawl space under the laundry room / kitchen at inside corner. Structural failure could occur if not corrected. We recommend not parking any cars on to carport until corrected. Further investigation and repairs are needed.
A licensed general contractor should be consulted to determine the extent of the damage and necessary repairs. If the repair is beyond the scope of the NC Building code, the contractor should consult a professional engineer.
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...psoriyzqki.jpg
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...psazr1snc1.jpg

CARPORT FLOOR, WALLS AND CEILINGS (INCLUDING FIREWALL SEPARATION)
Repair or Replace
The concrete floor of carport patio has dropped and or settled towards the foundation of the home.Item 1(Picture) Item 2(Picture) Visible signs of movement present in crawl space. This does not appear strong enough to continue to support a vehicle. This floor should not be used by a vehicle until a structural engineer inspects to determine if it is safe to use. Further investigation and repairs are needed.
A licensed general contractor should be consulted to determine the extent of the damage and necessary repairs. If the repair is beyond the scope of the NC Building code, the contractor should consult a professional engineer.
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3joggxfa.jpg

Here is the repair contract:
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3i4rkztm.jpg

So yesterday I discovered the right front part is sinking too My realtor thinks I should pay to have this fixed. If you were buying a house, would you pay for this?

Old 03-01-2017, 08:49 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Ok so I have decided to enclose more details. Here is my inspection report and pictures:

So yesterday I discovered the right front part is sinking too My realtor thinks I should pay to have this fixed. If you were buying a house, would you pay for this?
It depends.
If I thought I was doing well already in the transaction and could afford the repair, I might.
If the house was my "dream," I might.

Strike those two things, and I might not.
But... Everyone has their own personal tolerances and concerns and finances. Actually, I don't find the photos very alarming at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate