Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:08 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Thank you everyone!!! I really don't want to know the buyers history. I just think it would be polite to know their names. For instance, " Jane Smith (agent) wants to show your home this Saturday to the Jones family". They know they are seeing the Adams family's house! I just don't see why it's a big deal to know "who" is seeing your home especially if they are out looking at other folks homes as well. I also always thought that if you take your house off the market, you got to get a list of whoever has seen it so that you do not sell it to them on your own in the next 12 months.

I actually had one agent show the house to a couple, usually they leave their card, she didn't leave anything!
I'm not sure if legally you can know the names of people touring your home,vjusy the agent. Reason being, it could lead to discrimination. Most realtors leav their card to let you know they were there. Some don't. Perhaps they forget or ran out. That used to drive me crazy when they didn't, but your realtor always knows who's in your home and it can be tracked by the pin pad or card they use to enter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 10:09 AM

229 posts, read 240,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've sold 3 homes. I've toured countless homes over the years in many different markets in several states. Not once can I remember being told the seller's or buyer's name until a contract was offered. NEVER.

Umm, maybe she ran out of cards or simply forgot to leave one?
Out of all showings I think two cards were left. I asked our agent and she said cards are very expensive and they can't just give them away. Huh?

Old 02-25-2017, 10:12 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Other markets may vary. As I said, here, it's a punishable offense to not leave a card.

No, cards are not expensive. $20 for a thousand - full color - two sided.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:20 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Other markets may vary. As I said, here, it's a punishable offense to not leave a card.

No, cards are not expensive. $20 for a thousand - full color - two sided.
LOL
Yes, markets vary.
Leaving a card here, if not requested in showing instructions, is generally considered a form of solicitation of the seller.

I seldom even have cards in my pocket when showing homes, unless we are also visiting new construction or open houses.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:43 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
LOL
Yes, markets vary.
Leaving a card here, if not requested in showing instructions, is generally considered a form of solicitation of the seller.
I never leave a card after showing a property. It would just blow away in the wind.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:49 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
The buyers agent knows the buyers info. The seller has no need to. Plus it can help avoid inadvertently appearing to break fair housing laws....ie if you knew they were a certain race/ethnicity from their nsme, and they make a low offer and you refuse to negotiate, it would make it easier for them to sue you for FH act violations.
Almost all agents prequalifying buyers before showing them homes....I don't usually get the preapproval letter until we want to make and offer, since they are usually only good for 30 days, and I want to have the amount they are preapproved for match the offer amount. I don't want a letter showing 300 approval for a house listed for 280k that we offered 250k on. I want the sellers to think that's all they can do.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:09 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Usually, a buyer will want to have a letter that shows they are pre-approved for the amount of the offer. It would be impractical for a buyer to have a letter for each showing so, in that sense, having every buyer present a letter that they are pre-approved just isn't practical. That's not the same as having the buyer pre-approved for the agent's purposes, of course...just saying there are some things that might sound reasonable at first but not so much in the cold light of reality.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:44 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
LOL
Yes, markets vary.

I seldom even have cards in my pocket when showing homes, unless we are also visiting new construction or open houses.
Wow - I'm glad you told me. Thats VERY different than my old stomping grounds. I'll store that info in the deep resources of my brain for when we sell this place. Which will probably be when we enter assisted living or the crematorium.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:53 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
Our sentrilock lockboxes send an email to listing agent with date/time of showing and agents contact info every time it's accessed. So I only leave business cards for homes that don't have sentrilock lockboxes.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:59 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Hi, I am just curious about something. When a seller lists their home with an agent, why is it that when another agent wants to show your home to his/her buyer(s), everything is top secret? The buyer knows who the sellers are because they have the disclosure, they enter sellers home which is also personal space but yet the buyer knows nothing about who is wandering through their home, not even the name of the buyer. Does an agent(s) mind giving me some reasons? Thank you!!

As others have said, it's part of the process of selling. It's the accepted risk, mitigated by the buying agent always accompanying a person to the home. They should not let potential buyers wander without supervision.

If you wanted to limit the people involved, you could have it by invitation only. This is sometimes done for large estates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate