Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:06 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,786,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I wonder when this map is from and if the data has changed over time.
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...nemapcolor.pdf

I think it's the same as this one which is from 2015 I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 09:07 PM

10,617 posts, read 12,152,727 times
Quote:
Leave windows/doors open, run fans, and you will pass the radon test.
1) Believe me, I thought about it…..but decided against it….mainly because I read that,
2) You can do that and it can backfire an INcrease the readings, and there are testers that can "assess" the wind drafts suspected to have been due to open doors/windows.

I'm not in a big radon area, so expect all to be fine. It's just the fact that it's being done at all that's grating on me….But it's a first world problem so I'm trying to let it go...

Old 03-18-2017, 06:01 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,502,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Leave windows/doors open, run fans, and you will pass the radon test.
This is why I always do my own radon tests once I move in.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:04 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,532,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I just need to get this off my chest…..I have to say I'm NOT happy.
1) We're not really in a radon zone.
2) The house doesn't even HAVE a basement…and the buyers are doing a radon test.

I'confident it will come out fine. But I AM a little perturbed.

…AND they only put 1K in earnest money down….AND they need 3% closing help.

BUT they love the house -- and I do want to sell….so I'm holding my tongue…..
Aren't they just being prudent buyers? Radon is a concern for a lot of people, a house is the biggest purchase most people will ever make, there's only buyers remorse once you sign for it.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
This is why I always do my own radon tests once I move in.
Isn't it too late after you move in?

Old 03-18-2017, 07:12 AM

I'm told radon remediation is not expensive. I know I'd rather hear of a radon issue than lead or mold that's for sure.

So I can see liking the house and IF there IS a radon issue, the buyers just taking care of it themselves.

Heck, it costs less than paint and new carpet, and other things a buyer might want to change.

So to be honest, if the radon test is their only issue, I do think the buyers ought to take care of it, once they're in there.

(Edited for typo)

Last edited by selhars; 03-18-2017 at 08:20 AM..

Old 03-18-2017, 07:19 AM

45,481 posts, read 60,707,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You can still have radon in your home without a basement. That's not a big secret. Radon is crazy. It can be in your neighbors home, but not yours. Why are you worried about the test? The buyer is paying for it not you.

Partly, I would imagine, because radon is becoming the new lead paint/asbestos/mold.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I'm told radon remediation is not expensive. I know I'd rather here of a radon issue than lead or mold that's for sure.

So I can see liking the house and IF there IS a radon issue, the buyers just taking care of it themselves.

Heck, it costs less than paint and new carpet, and other things a buyer might want to change.

So to be honest, if the radon test is their only issue, I do think the buyers ought to take care of it, once they're in there.
Really? Mold can be cleaned, lead can be removed, radon is a carcinogen and its in the ground. You can mitigate it with ventilation, but you're always living with the threat right below your feet.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:14 AM

i'm a layperson. I just think when people hear "lead" or "mold" they go ape $#!t. And would back out quicker.
So as for an issue when trying to sell…..I still think I'd go with the radon.
And I've read it doesn't cost much to fix, so…..

Old 03-18-2017, 08:15 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,750,073 times
Quote:
I'm told radon remediation is not expensive. I know I'd rather here of a radon issue than lead or mold that's for sure.

Radon mitigation costs about $1200 to fix. If I'm buying a house I expect the seller to fix it before I purchase! Not to mention it's NOT like buying carpet, it's a health concern. As far as saying which costs more to fix, it doesn't matter. if you have any of the three a buyer will want ALL fixed!

You're telling me if you were purchasing a house with radon issues you would be Ok with paying the cost to fix? I doubt it, you would want the sellers to pay for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate