Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 10:40 PM

908 posts, read 961,542 times

Advertisements

i live in one state and have a condo in another state. I need to do some renovations to it (paint, change out kitchen floor) and other minor things and then planning to sell it. b/c of work and family i can't get over there. i do have a property manager and a real estate agent. i'm wondering if i can just rely on them (esp the real estate agent) and do all this without being there physically. anyone done this before or have thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 10:53 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
I'd expect most property managers should have solid connections for a minor rehab like that. I would just ask if they've done it before & if they could provide solid numbers that included everything (including the repairs, a punch-list of minor fixes, deep cleaning afterwards, etc). I'd expect to pay a markup on the repairs/rehab in exchange for managing the project & insuring that the property is 100% ready-for-sale at completion.

What you're looking for isn't really any different that what a property manager should be doing to turn-over a property between tenants. Once it's prepped for sale, your r.e. agent should really take-over to insure that the place stays nice while it's on the market (I.e. running cleaners through every few weeks to keep everything sparkling, checking the property, etc).

Old 03-17-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I'd expect most property managers should have solid connections for a minor rehab like that. I would just ask if they've done it before & if they could provide solid numbers that included everything (including the repairs, a punch-list of minor fixes, deep cleaning afterwards, etc). I'd expect to pay a markup on the repairs/rehab in exchange for managing the project & insuring that the property is 100% ready-for-sale at completion.

What you're looking for isn't really any different that what a property manager should be doing to turn-over a property between tenants. Once it's prepped for sale, your r.e. agent should really take-over to insure that the place stays nice while it's on the market (I.e. running cleaners through every few weeks to keep everything sparkling, checking the property, etc).
"every few weeks" ?? haha... the average time a condo is on the market in my area is about a week. i just need to get it ready to sell and i'm sure it'll sell quick.

thanks for the ideas!

Old 03-17-2017, 11:01 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
I sold my previous house from hundreds of miles away. I did not go with the most aggressive agent, but instead one that is patient and willing to help more. A few things came up on the inspection report that the buyers required get fixed and he handled getting someone out to fix things, and actually took care of a few minor things himself.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I sold my previous house from hundreds of miles away. I did not go with the most aggressive agent, but instead one that is patient and willing to help more. A few things came up on the inspection report that the buyers required get fixed and he handled getting someone out to fix things, and actually took care of a few minor things himself.
wow you were really lucky. i don't think my agent is like that... she's very busy and would outsource anything that needs to be done

Old 03-18-2017, 02:58 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
We are on our second agent for selling my dad's lake property. The first one really didn't want to do a lot to help out. I had to specifically request she go out to the house when the seasons changed to change the A/C to heat. I had to drive 4 hours to turn ON the A/C because she said one of the feedback remarks was that the house smelled "funny". When I got there, it smelled "funny" because it was 95 degrees in that area and the A/C wasn't on. Her solution was to put out some baking soda...

The new agent has lined up several painters, a landscaper and a cleaner (house has been unused since July of last year). She is interviewing everyone but the landscaper, she thinks that might be too personal for her handle and would like me to meet with them. She said she will go in before each showing to ensure the house is in top condition to be shown (opening blinds, flushing the toilets, turning on lights and checking the temp in the house). That right there was a selling point for me. Plus she had shown the house several times when it was listed with the previous agent and always told the other agent that she loved the house (we got that info in the feedback from the other agent). I think she can sell the house because she does love it.

So yes, I think it's possible and if you find the right agent, you can let them handle pretty much everything for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate