Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:45 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times

Advertisements

I intend to use an aggressive Realtor to sell my house, and understand the staging process, pricing right, etc. Sending as much traffic to the house is what I'm after to get a higher selling price and sell it faster.

How can I help the r.e. agent with buyer traffic? Posting ads with pictures at Craigslist and using other free classified ads is on my agenda.

I heard people use Pinterest and Facebook to sell homes. Is this worthwhile? Can you make a few additional suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 08:02 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
You are smart to realize that selling a house involves more than simply signing a Realtor agreement and then hoping for a sale. It's your house and you should be part of the effort!

Offer a higher RE split on commissions and blanket RE offices with that information ... along with a pitch asking them to consider showing your home.

Inspect and compare other homes for sale in your area against yours. Contact those Realtors about showing your home or referring lookers who are not interested in the one they are showing, to yours.

Compile a 'real' list of benefits, upgrades and investments in your home - Leave copies for Realtors and lookers ... (It will help them 'remember' your home later when they are comparing).

(I once sat on the beach and handed-out flyers for a beachfront condo we were trying to sell - it worked!)

Make sure that your existing Realtor understands how to intelligently present (sell) your property -- (Far too many Realtors simply follow lookers around like a puppy, making inane comments ... "and here we have the kitchen!") -- Ask them to 'sell' the property to you and then talk with them about things you think should be done differently. (They are your 'sales force' and you should know what they are telling potential buyers about your 'product.')

Get real about your property and actual comps -- As part of your 'benefit package', include an "investment prospectus", helping potential buyers see why this home is also a great investment. (Area growth trends, planned schools and other amenities, sustained growth history).

Diligently follow-up showings and request specific feedback from Realtors and lookers - Leave a short, easy check-list type evaluation form (perhaps offer movie ticket/s to any prospective buyer who leaves meaningful feedback).

Have some signs/flyers printed for your home and spread them around your area

... just a few thoughts (and some things we have done) -- Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck!

Old 05-13-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Compile a 'real' list of benefits, upgrades and investments in your home - Leave copies for Realtors and lookers ... (It will help them 'remember' your home later when they are comparing).
This is a good idea. I already went to FEMA's website and found my house is in the safe Shaded Zone X area. Post-Sandy, flood zones are a big deal around here. After grabbing the image, I'll make copies and make them available during house showings, along with the benefits list.

What do you mean by "Offer a higher RE split on commissions"? Offer the r.e. agent a bonus for selling the house faster or...?

I'm an online marketer and I understand the value of benefits and drawing traffic to an offer, so this common sense comes to me naturally.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:19 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
This is a good idea. I already went to FEMA's website and found my house is in the safe Shaded Zone X area. Post-Sandy, flood zones are a big deal around here. After grabbing the image, I'll make copies and make them available during house showings, along with the benefits list.

What do you mean by "Offer a higher RE split on commissions"? Offer the r.e. agent a bonus for selling the house faster or...?

I'm an online marketer and I understand the value of benefits and drawing traffic to an offer, so this common sense comes to me naturally.
Work out a situation with your Realtor where the showing/selling Realtor gets more than the traditional 2.5 to 3% -- It will/may cost you a little more, but, will encourage other Realtors to show your property.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:34 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
I'd have my Realitor do a pre view for other brokers and realitors. On your dining table leave lots of copies of upkeep records, up grades made, and packets of the listing. Get it pre inspected and fix all that is noted, and have that info available. If you get to photos, don't let them lie in the photos but also make sure they are darn good. As a buyer, you find out the photos don't tell much because they are overly wide angle and touched up, or bad photos.

If you really need to go all in, consider a walk through video tour. I found those very helpful. We were buying on the high end, and from out of town.

Our agent went to a preview. She knew it was great for us. She got us in early (we were in town just a few days). We could tell the house was super well cared for so we made a very strong offer and they accepted.

The owners put their very best foot forward, and so did we. It didn't even make it on the market until we had a contract on it.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:19 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
Price it ridiculously low and include a phrase that seller will consider offers after 10 days on the market. Should get a bidding war going. If not, you're free to reject any and all offers. Your listing agent may hate you for the extra work it takes, but the prize might be worth it.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:38 PM

153 posts, read 194,811 times
All the things you intend to do to market the house are things your realtor should be doing. If they are not, then they are not the aggressive type you want to hire.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SeanWalker- View Post
All the things you intend to do to market the house are things your realtor should be doing. If they are not, then they are not the aggressive type you want to hire.
Theoretically, yes. But no one can guarantee the actions of another, and my house is not the only house the Realtor would be selling.

An elderly widow around the corner is selling her very nice house, and it's just sitting there with no offers. The r.e. agent posted horrible pictures and it's probably overpriced, meaning her agent isn't looking out for her. I don't want this happening to me, so I decided to step up and prepare to market.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:59 AM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Theoretically, yes. But no one can guarantee the actions of another, and my house is not the only house the Realtor would be selling.

An elderly widow around the corner is selling her very nice house, and it's just sitting there with no offers. The r.e. agent posted horrible pictures and it's probably overpriced, meaning her agent isn't looking out for her. I don't want this happening to me, so I decided to step up and prepare to market.
Be certain to clear ads with the agent.
If you verge into Fair Housing violation, or misrepresentation, you can put the agent on the hook.

I had an aggressive client who just basically fibbed big time in an ad and I had to cut the listing loose to keep my nose clean.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:50 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,002,883 times
Quote:

Bad pictures are a reflection of the agent (unless they are good pictures of a not so nice property). Being overpriced is a reflection of the seller requirement and trust me, sellers often set the price higher than the agent recommends and the market supports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate