Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:24 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Seriously? I have never seen a drone in action. Where do you see them constantly?
Ugh. Come walk in my neighborhood and the creepy old man will stalk you the whole time. Drive me crazy. I walk at least three miles a day and I can always hear when he creeps up on me, even with headphones on. He will follow me for a while. Why? I don't now. I'm an overweight person sweating to death- nothing fun to see. I'm anti-confrontational, but I have a feeling one of these days I will lose it when I pass his house and let him have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 07:48 AM

922 posts, read 1,112,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
LOL a tall privacy fence offers no privacy from above. A person on the second floor of a house (whether they want to or not) can easily see what's going on in a yard even with a privacy fence. Keep that in mind when you want to go skinny dipping with your husband or mow the grass naked.

Luckily, the nearest 2-story house is several houses down the street and on the other side; our whole neighborhood only has about 3 or 4 houses with a second story. Privacy is mine, all mine!!! (Insert evil laugh here).

Old 07-20-2017, 08:30 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Why does your lawn go all the way to the fence? That's the problem that causes you to need to weed-whack in the first place. When we put a strip of mulch with plants and a mowing strip next to the fence, it not only looked prettier, but it did away with the problem you described.

We use our yard all the time and our tall, solid fence with lattice on the top is beautiful, naturally stained redwood. Best of all, no dogs, ever, and no uninvited humans, either.
Another response to this...how to put down pavers when the fence is actually set back 6" into their yard? So I'm actually mowing their yard on the side that adjoins my yard. I certainly can't put something UNDER the fence which is what THEY should have done when they put it up. I'm not sure of the intricacies of me putting pavers, etc. on "my" side since that strip isn't mine...and even if I did I could only go up to their fence and not under so there'd still be weeds and stuff growing up there. It's not that easy...so I guess I shouldn't worry so much if my weedwhacker cuts into their fence?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:46 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I built my fence so that even a second floor neighbor can’t see my pool. Here in Texas most homes have a privacy fence in the backyard by the alley. The cost for a nice cedar fence is usually between $6K and $8K. This is my fence.
Tacky...tacky.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:01 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Yes, your side is definitely better than the neighbor's view.
I wouldn't have thought this was legal? Around here (and I thought everywhere) - you have to have the fence w/the "outside" facing your property, not out.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:51 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I wouldn't have thought this was legal? Around here (and I thought everywhere) - you have to have the fence w/the "outside" facing your property, not out.
In my neighborhood they would NOT allow that. No way, no how. the fencing that faces the street has to be smooth, with no posts and hardware showing. The HOA is anal enough to chide people for water stains on the wood.

As to the original post, well aesthetically I like wrought iron fencing 4 or 6 feet high using strategically placed landscaping/hedge rows for privacy. there are many homes in our neighborhood that don't have fencing because it wasn't required thirty years ago. you picked out a lot and built a house, some chose to fence the lot others didn't. i am not a fan of cedar or any other type of wood fencing. they start to look bad down the road and need replacing. Wrought iron looks good ten, twenty years from installation. I'd do stone if I could afford it. the notion of privacy in a subdivision back yard is a funny concept to me, just because we have so many different types of houses and topography that alter privacy. the house next to us is on a slightly elevated lot and the folks can easily see over our 6' fence. My other neighbor has a two story house (as do we) and they can easily see into our yard from their second floor. In fact, she complimented me on my rose garden, which should could view from her game room.

I've observed, at least in my immediate area, that there's an unwritten code of respect for privacy among neighbors that live in a subdivision. Yes, you can technically see your neighbor over the fence line, but you "don't" see them. I've observed people saying hello to me when I'm outside of the fence, but in the backyard, my neighbors do not call over the fence even if they can see me. If they want something, they ring the front doorbell.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:14 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
The poster's back yard abutted an alley. So it wouldn't affect as many neighbors.

In Arl VA, you are not required to put the "outside" facing your property. And in many cases, you can't, or it has few benefits, e.g., if neighbors have a hedge or thick trees near the property line, they can't see much of your fence, and the fence builder would have to walk on their property if the "nicer" side were put on the outside rather than the inside.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:04 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
I rather like the look of Trex fencing, regardless if you have dogs, kids, or a pool.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:50 PM

3,502 posts, read 2,664,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
The poster's back yard abutted an alley. So it wouldn't affect as many neighbors.

In Arl VA, you are not required to put the "outside" facing your property. And in many cases, you can't, or it has few benefits, e.g., if neighbors have a hedge or thick trees near the property line, they can't see much of your fence, and the fence builder would have to walk on their property if the "nicer" side were put on the outside rather than the inside.
You are correct, we all have rear entry garages, only the trash, recycling and utility trucks use the alley. I had my house built in 1983, this fence is now 15 years old and has been stained 3 times, last time two months ago. The house is one level, 3200 sf plus garage.

This picture was taken 2 hours ago, and the fence still looks great and straight.

This is what people that drive thru the neighborhood see, excuse the tacky walkway being built last year. LOL

Old 07-20-2017, 03:06 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
This picture was taken 2 hours ago, and the fence still looks great and straight.
A prison would be envious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate