Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Buyer's Agent Commission - Who pays for it?
Seller pays - all commission cost is paid by the seller and the buyer's agent commission is just part of that 38 54.29%
Buyer pays - the overall commission amount is rolled into the house price so the buyer bears the cost of the agent who represents them 13 18.57%
Seller's agent pays - seller's agent agrees the overall commission with the seller and is sacrificing part of to the buyer's agent so he/she is paying 14 20.00%
I don't really understand who pays for buyer's agent commission 5 7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:40 PM

43,396 posts, read 77,330,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You are talking to Austin Willie. Remember him?
I remember AW.

Seriously? I had a much higher opinion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Not everyone is motivated by money. I want to do a good job to get referrals from other brokers and past clients.

I sold a FSBO in May for $1250- the Seller agreed verbally to pay most of my fee and the buyer agreed to pay a small part.

I sent over both contracts at the same time, purchase agreement & fee agreement. Seller only signed the purchase agreement, on purpose. 100% my error.

I still did everything I was suppose to do, professionally and without complaint, like I was paid 10x as much.

Once I recommended a furnace guy to clean and service a furnace, he had done a great job on the last house. Instead he took advantage of the old lady sister owners and charged them $400 for a $125 job. At Closing, I gave them $400 for referring them the wrong person.

I need to do the right thing more than I need to take someone's money. It's called integrity.
Kudos.

But you appear to be multi-lingual.
That last term and it's concept do not translate for many people...

Old 08-08-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I remember AW.

Seriously? I had a much higher opinion...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You are talking to Austin Willie. Remember him?
Sheesh... I guess if you say so...
I didn't really think of AW as a prevaricator.

But, deja vu was late to the party and didn't keep me from feeding the same character who bumbled on two years ago about the same topics with the same approach.

To use or not use a realtor?

Old 08-08-2017, 07:12 PM

122 posts, read 261,422 times
I have bought and sold my last 2 homes in Utah. Would never use an agent again (here at least). As long as you have a good title company, an agent isn't needed.

My best example is my husband and I put our house on the market for 269k FSBO but offered buyers agents 3%.
We got 2 offers, 269k from a couple with a buyers agent and 264k from a couple without an agent. We took the 264k from the couple without the buyers agent, and since we got to know each other since no agent was involved, we agreed to leave some items behind they could use. We also had a neighborhood party for the new neighbors to meet the new buyers and I brought the buyers to the school to meet the teachers. It was such a positive experience and I was MUCH happier seeing the buyers pay $5k less then handing $8k to the buyers agent. Plus, the couple with the buyers agent was very upset, they wanted the house and I explained to them we took an offer without an agent and it made us more money. They totally regretted signing an exclusive with the agent.

I'm on city data right now because we are considering moving cross country. I cant tell you how many agents will not help or give you the time of day if you call them. I tried to find out about some homes before my husband flew out to interview. Not one agent was helpful or set up a time to see a home. I sent my husband into offices and all he got was papers on houses. I told him to go get pre qualified and he did with proof of 20%, income, job offer and still only one agent showed him one home. Today I called on some rentals and homes for sale and again agents were like call my associate, or I'm on vacation, or call next week? Isn't summer the busy season? People want to buy or rent before school starts (I'm trying to buy in the best school areas). I would sure be pissed if I was a seller handing over 6%.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:56 PM

17,720 posts, read 29,915,186 times
All house buyers pay thru inflated property prices.
Think about it. If commissions on both sides were zero$?

Old 08-08-2017, 08:14 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,325,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
All house buyers pay thru inflated property prices.
Think about it. If commissions on both sides were zero$?
I always thought 2008-2012 were interesting times when home prices tanked and people wanted to talk about how agents jacked up home prices to cover commissions.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:20 AM

10,994 posts, read 22,031,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspoons View Post
I have bought and sold my last 2 homes in Utah. Would never use an agent again ... As long as you have a good title company, an agent isn't needed....we are considering moving cross country. I cant tell you how many agents will not help or give you the time of day if you call them....Not one agent was helpful or set up a time to see a home... I told him to go get pre qualified and he did with proof of 20%, income, job offer and still only one agent showed him one home. Today I called on some rentals and homes for sale and again agents were like call my associate, or I'm on vacation, or call next week?
Not sure where you're moving too but agents work with clients, not customers. In SC you get paid for helping a client buy a home. You get squat for working with customers. In fact, per SC agency guidelines set by SC we aren't supposed to engage in client related activities (such as showing homes) without an agency. We could actually be punished by the state for doing it. It's unfortunate, it doesn't seem you've been provided an explanation or maybe it's just you. Don't know.

So my question is when you are planning to not use an agent why are expecting an agent to work for free and why are you disappointed when an agent won't work for free?

Rentals-even worse. No money in showing rentals here at all. Even as a client the typical payout is around $100. It's not even worth putting you in my car for that.

You could go through the listing agent but then it's a crap shoot who you get. Just call around and interview buyer agents until you find one you're happy with.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:24 AM

10,994 posts, read 22,031,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
... you're incentivized to sell. ...
You could rip off a client and get them to pay 10k more and on the avg 70% split the agent would make about $200 more. Alternatively, you could do an awesome job and have a happy client that sends you more clients. So while you might be incentivised to take advantage of people most buyer agents
1. Like helping people
2. Enjoy negotiating
3. Want referrals from folks

and are therefore going to work for their client.

So again, you can't see the forest for the trees. Big picture bud, big picture.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:38 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,755,325 times
I'm wondering if all these altruistic agents here would be in favor of a flat rate commission structure vs the current majority percentage based one, seeing as it's all about "helping people".

Old 08-09-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I'm wondering if all these altruistic agents here would be in favor of a flat rate commission structure vs the current majority percentage based one, seeing as it's all about "helping people".
Sure.
What are you paying and what do you want done for it?
At what point is the payment earned?

However, confusing integrity with altruism is a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate