Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Buyer's Agent Commission - Who pays for it?
Seller pays - all commission cost is paid by the seller and the buyer's agent commission is just part of that 38 54.29%
Buyer pays - the overall commission amount is rolled into the house price so the buyer bears the cost of the agent who represents them 13 18.57%
Seller's agent pays - seller's agent agrees the overall commission with the seller and is sacrificing part of to the buyer's agent so he/she is paying 14 20.00%
I don't really understand who pays for buyer's agent commission 5 7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 03:42 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,751 times

Advertisements

This is not a trick question, nor is there necessarily a right or wrong answer.

I'm interested to understand how people (both consumers and agents) perceive who is paying for the buyer's agent commission so please submit your poll response just based on your initial view. The scenario that I'm asking about is the typical arrangement where there is a seller's/listing agent who puts the house on MLS offering a commission split with buyer's agents/brokers. For example, 6% overall commission with an offered buyer's agent commission split of 3% (agents/brokers split commission 50/50 in this example).

Please select the statement that most closely describes your view of who pays for the buyer's agent commission. Responses are anonymous.

Last edited by just_because; 08-07-2017 at 03:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 04:06 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Of course buyer's agency is a buyer cost embedded in the price and increasing the price.

"Seller pays?"
Just like Dad (Buyer) giving his 6 year old (Seller) $10 to buy Mom a birthday gift, and the kid giving Mom a nice gift and proclaiming, "I paid for it myself!"
Surely Dad knows he is $10 lighter than he was before they went to the store....

Sellers and their agents want to claim the expense to justify their price, as if they are falling on a sword, but it is a nearly direct buyer expense.
"Buyers agency is free" is one of the biggest lies supported by NAR Code of Ethics and the CFPB, and is bought into by consumers who fall for the concept because.... Who doesn't like a freebie?
Some Buyers agents capitalize on the lie in their advertising.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 08-07-2017 at 04:36 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 07:09 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
This is the chicken or the egg to me. Commission negotiated by seller and paid from sellers funds. There is no commission without the buyer. Technically the list agent pays the co-broke according the MLS. All sides have a reasonable point.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:56 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Poll: Buyer's Agent Commission - Who pays for it?
Who writes the check ...and where does that money come from?

Old 08-07-2017, 07:58 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,400,755 times
I agree that this is like the proverbial "chicken or the egg" type question. Technically, it is the Seller's Listing Broker that pays my commission, since I have no written agreement with the Seller to pay the commission. The Seller is (oftentimes) on the hook to pay the full commission whether or not a Buyer's agent is involved--so it is the Seller's cost.

As a Buyer, I don't really care what the Seller's costs are or what they ultimately net on the sale. If they signed up to pay a high commission, that's their problem. I have a maximum price I will pay regardless of whether the Seller will be paying a high or low commission, or whether they will be paying a commission at all.

Of course, it is the Buyer's funds which enable a deal to take place, but when I buy a property which is listed for sale at a set commission, the commission amount I would receive is credited against my purchase price. Likewise, I will sometimes rebate some or all of a commission to one of my clients, lowering their purchase price via a credit. I just rebated $6,000 on a sale last week--the equivalent of lowering their purchase price by $6,000.

To me, it's the Seller which bears the cost of the commission (that's why people prefer to sell FSBO if they can) with the technicality that the Buyer's agent's commission is, in fact, being paid by the Listing Broker.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Who writes the check...
Hardly relevant or cogent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
...and where does that money come from?
Much more intriguing.

And, if I go in as a buyer, and decline to take a cobroke...

$300,000 property.
2.4% co-broke.
So, I say, I will pay $292,800 because I don't need my own money kickbacked to me...

And the seller's net proceeds check amount is the same either way...

Did I, Buyer, save money, or did the Seller save money?
I suspect that I did by not paying myself with the old cobroke shuffle.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:08 AM

Food for thought: if it's the Buyer who is paying the commission, then the amount of the commission agreed to in a listing agreement shouldn't matter to the Seller. They might as well sign up to pay a 20% commission rate. After all, the Buyer is paying for it, right?

Old 08-07-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Food for thought: if it's the Buyer who is paying the commission, then the amount of the commission agreed to in a listing agreement shouldn't matter to the Seller. They might as well sign up to pay a 20% commission rate. After all, the Buyer is paying for it, right?
Sure. Pump up the Property Price!
And specify cash deals only with no appraisal, and a 20% nonrefundable Due Diligence Deposit with any Offers!

Reductio Ad Absurdum is a fun sport!

Old 08-07-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Much more intriguing.

And, if I go in as a buyer, and decline to take a cobroke...

$300,000 property.
2.4% co-broke.
So, I say, I will pay $292,800 because I don't need my own money kickbacked to me...

And the seller's net proceeds check amount is the same either way...

Did I, Buyer, save money, or did the Seller save money?
I suspect that I did by not paying myself with the old cobroke shuffle.
Do I detect the start of a conversion?

Old 08-07-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Do I detect the start of a conversion?
No, sir, you do not.

Well, unless you refer to internal rumblings of realty reality?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate