Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:57 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times

Advertisements

I have a house that apparently is very popular in the community. I had to put gates and fences because strangers would drive into the driveway to look at the house. Many drive very slowly in the roadway to peek at the house. Some even bold enough to knock on the door and asked to look around! Since then we've encountered people who keep asking our plans for the house. The vast majority would not be able to afford the house. I thought about listing but I am only interested in serious buyers. How do I keep snoopy people away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 08:12 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Showings by appointment only… With a sign rider that says so out front.

You can make it more restrictive with advanced notice required or even prequalification required, but I wouldn't advise it unless really necessary. Simply requiring an appointment with a realtor who is willing to spend time showing it is probably enough complication to keep out most of the lookie-loos while still being accessible and welcoming to potential real buyers.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:14 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
How do I keep snoopy people away?
Be snoopy in reverse.

Demand that prospective buyers demonstrate they are qualified to buy.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:18 PM

Is there anything stronger than a prequal letter? Should I ask for that instead?

Old 09-15-2017, 08:24 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Is there anything stronger than a prequal letter? Should I ask for that instead?
How long do you want it to be on the market?

Old 09-15-2017, 08:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,235,073 times
Quote:
I have a house that apparently is very popular in the community. I had to put gates and fences because strangers would drive into the driveway to look at the house. Many drive very slowly in the roadway to peek at the house. Some even bold enough to knock on the door and asked to look around! Since then we've encountered people who keep asking our plans for the house. The vast majority would not be able to afford the house. I thought about listing but I am only interested in serious buyers. How do I keep snoopy people away?
You don't HAVE to put a 'for sale' sign in the front yard. My neighbors haven't put up such a sign, although their house has been on the market for a few months. That would keep most of the casual snoopers away. Also is there anything you can do to block the driveway?

There's no rule that you have to answer the door to people who stop by uninvited. Or talk to them. If you aren't expecting an appointment, just ignore them. If they catch you in the yard or something, just send them on their way.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
You don't HAVE to put a 'for sale' sign in the front yard. My neighbors haven't put up such a sign, although their house has been on the market for a few months. That would keep most of the casual snoopers away. Also is there anything you can do to block the driveway?

Definitely include 'by appointment only' in the listing.
I put a gate on there to stop the cars from going in... and I don't have to sell so I don't have a deadline... I will forego the for sale sign...

Old 09-15-2017, 08:37 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Do you have any idea why people are curious about it?

Old 09-15-2017, 10:02 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
Where I used to live there was a house that had an unexplained, still not solved murder of an entire family and their dogs about 50 years ago. There was a book and movie about the unsolved murders.

People always wanted to see inside that house. When it was put up for sale, they required that the people be pre-qualified before they could go inside, and they required that the listing agent be present too (people kept taking little mementos from the house) to prevent theft and people from taking photos. Photos were only allowed after an contract was entered into.

The house did sell in a normal timeframe, but lots of people thought that it was cool that the house was in a movie, and the murder was old.

The listing did have numerous photos of the inside of the house too.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Where I used to live there was a house that had an unexplained, still not solved murder of an entire family and their dogs about 50 years ago. There was a book and movie about the unsolved murders.

People always wanted to see inside that house. When it was put up for sale, they required that the people be pre-qualified before they could go inside, and they required that the listing agent be present too (people kept taking little mementos from the house) to prevent theft and people from taking photos. Photos were only allowed after an contract was entered into.

The house did sell in a normal timeframe, but lots of people thought that it was cool that the house was in a movie, and the murder was old.

The listing did have numerous photos of the inside of the house too.
The number one reason to never buy a stigmatized house. We had one near us growing up. It was a suicide, but it was very unexpected and kinda awful...had all the tongues wagging. The house sold time after time, and got the haunted claim, when in reality it was owner after owner felt harassed by the looky loos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate